1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How do you deal with frustration or burnout?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by TheJedi, Apr 8, 2013.

1. TheJedi

TheJedi New Cupcake

You are a guild leader .. and some times everything feels like the success of the guild in everything falls on you. Plus after you have played a game for so long.. the inevitable happens. You begin to feel bored with the game. Plus you feel a sense of burnout.

How do you handle it so it doesn't poison the great guild you have?
  2. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

The usual: you screw your guild over by taking the best players and joining another guild, where you don't have any responsabilities. Oh wait, that's just what happened in a guild I was in...or was it 3 guilds ? Meh, happens all the time.
  3. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Take a break? Look at the options. Make sure its something you still want to do or move on to a new game if your still into gaming. I have had to take breaks from gaming in the past after a little burnout or when the guild I was in disbanded.
  4. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

Give lead to one of the other officers? I don't see why this is complicated heh
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Indeed, first question you need to ask is: Do i want to keep playing the game or do i just want to play another game? Or do you want to take is more easy?

1. If you wish to continue, take a break, let someone else lead the guild in your absence.
    2. If you want another game, just leave :p and let others take the lead.
    3. Or just demote youreself to have no responsebilities, try being a class leader instead of guild leader, saves some time.
    4. Try change the scenery? Instead of hardcore PvE try PvP do some old quests? Mayby achievement hunting?
    5. The game is boring if you just play 1 aspect of the game, so try play the whole game.
    6. Try taking gaming to a new level (now upgrade but by downgrading it), try get out with friends do something fun IRL spend less time in-game so the feeling stays ''unique'' the more you game the less the special feeling becomes.

So many options tbh, but it depends on YOU
    What do you really want?
  6. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

• Don't rush the game at start and play it nonstop, which is a quick road to burnout.
    • Limit your hours and take breaks, like a day off. High ranking officers should be able to handle a day or so - otherwise what's the point of them?
    • Have other hobbies, I meet people all the time burning through MMORPG content and then complaining there is nothing left to do (like folks who got 1000 hours or 1500 hours in GW2 at like 10 hrs a day rate). The majority of said players only game though.
    • If gaming is pretty much your only hobby, play some single player games and non-MMORPGs.
    • If your guild is great, then hopefully part of that is in social interaction with the members. If the focus is more on the guild as a whole and not just you, then you may get a good feeling from helping others. Combine that with the others, and you should be set. (I may think of one or two more things, but that seems good enough)
  7. TheJedi

TheJedi New Cupcake

Great stuff folks keep it up!
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Just had to come back on it, especially this sentence.
    If it really is a ''great guild'' it won't be poisened if the GM get's bored, if it does the guild was nothing. GM's act as iconic figures inside a guild, but they can be replaced, that's why you should always have officers that can act as an iconic figures if needed.

A great guild isn't the GM a great guild is it's members! :up:

Edit: With iconic i kinda mean they are a role-model.
  9. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

The problem is people take games WAY to seriously. Just take a damn break and enjoy real life.
  10. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

Make sure you aren't the only GM. Have a Co-GM, and make sure your officers will share the load. Delegate.

Recruit based on personality (and ability to learn, if you care about progression) instead of gear and experience. Surround yourself with fun people who can laugh at a wipe -- or 10.

Don't allow any aggressive attitudes or public call-outs and blame. We all laugh at the Onyxia wipe video, but no one really enjoys that kind of raid. Not for long anyway.

If you do all that, and if the developers do their part and keep the game fresh and challenging, burnout won't be an issue for years.
  11. Deltre

Deltre Cupcake-About-Town

A lot of good advice here. The most successful and fun guild I was in, or gm took a night off about every other week. Especially one certain content was on farm, he'd go out on a date night with his wife or just take the night off. We had plenty of people who were always around to take the lead. Most of our core players would sit out a night and let one of the junior members raid in their place. Sometimes you just have to take a step back from the game and enjoy life.
  12. Beetle

Beetle Special Cupcake

Yep just like a lot of these guys are saying, the best thing to do is just take a step back. One thing our guild does really well we can all feel burnout getting closer so we take a day or two off and go play a FPS and shoot the junk out of each other. Other types of games are great for team-building and tactics, it also lets your members understand each others "playstyles" which can really help the cohesiveness of your guild/group.
    Blankspace likes this.
  13. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

I feel like Beetle got up earlier than me this morning and got to threads before I did :p

I'm going to give an example of something I had to deal with just recently and how we dealt with it as a guild and as a leader perspective.

One of the guys in SVG is finishing up his last semester at college. He is super pumped about the game, helping the guild, and he was my assistant at the time. (Means being delegated a ton of stuff to do, often, and having a response time usually within 30 mins back to me :p) He is currently swamped with college and before it even became a problem I got to sit down with him and explain that the game, this guild, and projects to do will always be here. You only want to do that last semester in college 1 time. He agreed and while being worried we would forget about him (not possible! :inlove:) he returned his focus to what really mattered. He knows when he has time that we have more than enough projects and <REDACTED> for him to help us with ;)

As a leader you need to see the warning signs of fatigue, stress, burnout, and make sure to address them before they become a problem. It is why part of our interview process for hardcore members makes sure to ask about how they personally deal with various scenarios in gaming and interpersonally also. Sometimes you have to tell that over-eager player that they need to take a day off, go to the ocean, the mall, whatever. Other times you just have to check in with players to see how they are doing. If you have a well rounded gamer they are able to give you solid feedback on where they are at without fearing repercussions.

Good leadership, good oversight, trust built within your community/guild, mature gamers who can communicate needs, and more are just some of the "anti" bodies you can build up to reduce frustration and burnout!
    Nyxis likes this.
  14. Mianhe

Mianhe New Cupcake

I'm not a guild leader, but I find it very simple.

We're in a guild because we, as humans, are social beings to the core. One of the things that has helped us avoid or diminish the feel of being burntout has been all the activities guild members participate in outside whatever game title we may be having our focus on.

Silly things such as draw-my-thing, transformice, drunk nights, activities that helped me form strong bonds with those that at one point I considered total strangers, that's what has gotten me to overlook a lot of things that otherwise would've made me quit plenty of games after the very first sign of boredom.
    Blankspace likes this.
  15. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Have a core of great officers, who co lead.
    Delegate , delegate, delegate.
    Resist the urge to micromanage everything.

And as part of the game charter, have the ability to take a week or two off every 2 to 3 months ( depends on your guild ).
    Everyone needs a break, and it does no one any good if you get burned out.

And above all , promote a hapy environment. Yes there will be days and maybe weeks where you hit a wall raiding and morale plummets, but promote down time between raids to build the guilds community , so folks hang out and can unwind.
    The issue with burn out comes when you cant enjoy the game. Take the time to do so, or take the time to do something else.
  16. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Whilst I agree, delegation is a great thing, however, you have to be careful with those you make officers with that not only can the do the job you're offering them, but also that you can trust them to support your decisions or at least debate them out in private until a workable solution is found. You also don't want your officer team being too sizeable so that there's too many different voices/opinions in your leadership structure. Mis-communication kills guilds people!!!

^^^ A million times this. I've always found it better to be one of those GM's that everyone can make fun off as opposed to those who like to be worshiped where ever they go, you know the type of GM's I'm talking about.
  17. Classix

Classix Cupcake

I've had this happen to me on two occasions.

The first one I had to suddenly stop playing due to real life issues so I transferred leader ship to a responsible co-leader in my guild . After about a 3 month period I came back to the game and saw how it grew to over 100+ members active and posting regularly within the guild forum 500+ pages, with a lot of the founding members still playing. I was lucky as that will NEVER happen usually. I was welcomed back with open arms and even offered my my leader role back, to which I refused. I believed that even if I had made the guild and recruited the first 20-40 members it wouldn't be fair to anyone just to suddenly take over. I took over a co-leader position and helped.

The next wasn't having to leave but wanting to leave. I played a game with a ultra small community where all the beta-alpha players were united into one big guild. We dominated and crushed every single person so easily. It was not fun anymore there were no new and up coming rivals and no-one new had a fire under their belly. So I left the huge super alliance, gathered up a few ultra active newbies and trained the <REDACTED> out of them. We ended up being crushed by my old Alliance in the first round and only took 2nd place. Though our sudden rise to power made others gather and do the same.
  18. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Hierarchy.

My guild currently has 2 top leaders and 4 just below that. We each have our own games we play (we have around 7 different games being played at one time, mostly LoL but also a variety of other genres) and each member has varying levels of power over other members within their top games.

Our community is more focused around a variety of games so it isn't as prevalent in a single game but one of the focuses is making good friendships, even if you don't play the game any more doesn't mean you can't come in and chat with the other people who still do.

For the most part "guild leader" is just a title anyway, doesn't mean anything if people don't respect you.
  19. Dracor

Dracor New Cupcake

Not every guild can be run by a sole leader. I think one of the best things about my old guild was that the core management was handle by a group of very dedicated real life friends. They were great guys to play with in general, but ontop of that there was always people to help out. Our main guild leader, who was also the raid leader started university when were pushing progression really hard, and as a result he had to step down from most of his responsibilities, and switched to just handling raid leading. Other people did the recruitment, and managing guild resources, and keeping people in line.

Ontop of that we still had class leaders, most of which who weren't primary officers (I was one, and just someone they picked up along the way) to deal with what each class needed to be doing in specific fights, tips for DPSing or tanking better, dividing up loot amongst each other if someone needed it more, but had less DKP. Creating smaller communities inside the overall large one where people chip in is important for the overall guild.
  20. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

Depends on the type of structure you have with the guild. In the structure I'm most fond of it is simply a case of promoting the Raid Leader (2nd in command) to active GM, of course there is the matter of filling a council member role which commonly falls to one of the Officers. Then you're given some time before your demotion is made permanent...
    That or you throw away your self-respect and do something like steal the GBank or jump ship... which could result in GM's taking a notice of you by your guild reporting you and then your name is forever slandered on the server...