1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How do you find your Guild?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Aheadache, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

With the guild threads popping up it made me wonder what people look for in a guild and what motivates you to app before game start. Or if you holdout to join a guild after you have spent time in game.

What motivates you to app before game launch?
    Do you try and fit in or look for an established perfect fit?
    Do you like being a guild founder and be in the mix of the decisions?
    Do you mind being in a large guild? Does size really matter(guild size)?
    Does being required to app bug you?

If you holdout for looking to join a guild, do you start to consider things like raiding, raid times, guild size, guild needs (classes), “server times \ location”? PvP?

My self, I had joined a guild pre game for SWTOR, it had fell apart day one. Things were getting rough on the forums and on vent. So I am more reluctant to join a guild early and want to app to a guild in game after deciding on what I am going to focus on.

My wife and I would have to join together, we would look for a raiding guild, East Coast server that ended raiding at midnight. Preferably a raiding guild that was not over classed in our two classes so we can participate in progression as much as possible. Then if drama is low to zero and it feels like a good fit with the people we stay really involved.
    Dysp, Oroshi, Elsie and 1 other person like this.
  2. Rakkis

Rakkis Cupcake

I usually end up in one from random parting in game. They like me and I accept if they seem to fit my style. I only join a guild once before a launch of a game (STO). The guild was alright, but they grew too big, too quick and had unrealistic goals. Didn't help that the game wasn't that good. So i left, others had the same sentiment and pretty soon afterward a 250 person guild with only top leadership fell apart.
  3. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

Like you, my wife and I come as a package deal. Raid times and days would be the most important aspect for us, as we prefer raiding weekends; Friday and Saturday nights work best. She's a teacher, and we don't want to stay up too late during the week, or rush home from work and eat a hurried dinner just to make a raid time.

We generally prefer smaller guilds, but since we don't know the content model for Wildstar yet we won't rule anything out. But given the choice, we prefer a smaller community.

We might consider joining a pre-launch guild if we could find some other like minded adults who want to raid the same nights and content as us, but since we haven't really seen anything yet we're fine with waiting it out.

Joining a pre-launch guild does have some advantages, but things can also fizzle pretty quickly like in your SWTOR experience. One thing we want to try and avoid with this game is getting too hyped up, like we did with that game. Joining a guild and talking up the game excessively can lead to hype and expectations.

I am kinda mixed on the application thing. Personally I prefer just talking and getting to know people, but as endgame raiders we know it often comes with the territory. We prefer to not join guilds that take themselves too seriously, and a lengthy application process can be indicative of that, so it's one thing we watch out for.

We ran a guild for a short time at the launch of Cataclysm, and it wasn't really for us. We spent too much of our "us time" talking about the guild and that burned us out. We prefer a more decentralized leadership style, like the guild we are in now. We do have a raid leader, but all of the core members kinda pitch in with whatever needs to be done. It's not overly formal and that's great with us.

As a personal note to Aheadache, not sure how you and your wife feel about weekend raiding, but if it's a possibility and the two of you would like to partner up in some way, give me a shout.
    Kurik Lein, Elsie and Aheadache like this.
  4. Aheadache

Sounds cool Ingosc, we should stay in touch and see how things turn out. We enjoy hanging out with fun people.
  5. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

Same as above, my husband and I pretty much always play together, and only joins guilds as a package too.
    Both being roleplayers, we have often sought out roleplay guilds, and have lead a couple our selves, though I don't think that will be on the table this time, especially since we're co-running wildstar-roleplay.com. There would just be too much to deal with, and not enough time to do what we actually want.
    Besides, my experience with running roleplay guilds is that no matter what people say, they more often than not rely extremely heavily on the guild masters to keep the RP going, and I can't take that responsibility anymore. My interests in the game is too spread out.

So this time around, we'll probably be looking for another guild to join. The most important to us is that we get along with the people, that they have some humor, and like Ingsoc mentioned, don't take themselves too serious. A mix of RP and PVE, possibly even with some PVP would be ideal, and I think we're probably aiming at a slightly more casual RP guild, so it's not their only focus.
    We definitely prefer smaller guilds with a tight knit feel, where you can get to know everyone.

But like Ingsoc also pointed out, prelaunch guilds often drizzle out after launch, so while I do like joining a guild pre-lauch, we might hold out and see if we can find a good guild sometime after the game comes out. It's often easier to get a good feel of them once you're actually in game too I find.
    Kurik Lein and Aheadache like this.
  6. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

What motivates me to apply before launch?

I enjoy being a part of a guild before launch because it gives me a chance to establish relationships with the people I will be playing with before we're all swept up by the game. It's a great way to make friends and organize around similar goals.

What encourages me to apply to a guild?

Faction and desired play-style (hard-core, casual, etc; ) actually say very little about a guild. Give me a website, where the GM and officers have banded together to create a well-written Charter which gives me an idea of how the guild functions, and I am more likely to sign-up. This tells me the guild is organized and has effective, smart leadership in place.

Do you like being a guild founder? A part of decisions?

I don't care for being a founder. I do enjoy being a part of decisions. Most of the guilds I apply to have strong central leadership and a democratic process underneath. This is fine with me.

Do you mind being in a large guild? Does size matter?

Yes. I don't want to be in a guild with 10 people and I don't want to be in a guild with 500 people. I have found rosters with around 100 members to be desirable for my play. The 100 members includes alts, so this would boil down to about 25-40 active members.

Does being required to apply bother me?

Nope. I prefer when there is an application process - though I wish it was called something else. "Application" sounds so formal. To me, it's an indicator that leadership is attempting to bring in members which fit with their type of play/personality. Some people think it's a sign of elitism (and in some instances it is), but if a guild turns down your application because they're elitist, you probably didn't want to play there to begin with. Again, it's an indicator that leadership is strong and the guild cares about the direction it's headed in.
    Steelheart, Mudfin and Aheadache like this.
  7. Aheadache

Great feedback Auryn, I like your thoughts on apps and I see your point on having them. I would say I can agree with both sides of the app process from this prospective.
    Auryn likes this.
  8. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

You're welcome Aheadache! < Made me giggle to write your name. I hope you find what you're looking for in a guild. It seems a lot of people have the Me and +1 to consider when joining guilds. I'm in the same boat. I wonder if players who tend to be in relationships prefer smaller guilds versus single people who play in larger guilds? That would be an interesting statistic.
    Aheadache likes this.
  9. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

What motivates you to app before game launch?

Only did that in GW2 and now in Wildstar. In other games I just play the game and see where that goes.
    In SWTOR I kinda tagged along with my friends with the guilds they were joining. In GW2 I found a guild add in gw2guru for a small guild and joined them in the later stages of beta. I stayed with them (still am technically though I do not represent them) until i saw that they were a mainly PVE guild and a lot of the members just stopped logging on so I found a WvW guild which suited me more.

Do you try and fit in or look for an established perfect fit?

I don't fully understand this question so I am skipping it :)

Do you like being a guild founder and be in the mix of the decisions?

Nope I would rather not, I am only an officer now because we wanted to spread the responsibility load so no one gets burnt out. I don't need to do much though my guild are a nice bunch of people. (talking about my GW2 guild)

Do you mind being in a large guild? Does size really matter(guild size)?

It depends on the people. sometimes you are in a smaller guild filled with jerks and immature people and sometimes you are in a big guild with a majority of nice ones.

Does being required to app bug you?
    If the application asks a lot of the member yes especially if they want a TS interview.

Edit: I forgot to ad that I joined Errant Unit because I know that the members are nice members of this community so did not have a problem joining . Usually I am hesitant
    Kurik Lein and Aheadache like this.
  10. Qimx

Qimx Cupcake-About-Town

Whatever but make sure you put the region somewhere. (US/EU/Asia)
    I highly recommend to put that in the thread tittle to make it easily for everyone.
  11. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Hey Guys,

It's the first time in my life that i formed a Guild before a game is launched, i did it for wildstar, cause as i have said several times, i think that it is the next best thing, so i wanted to be prepared.

During the process i realized that having a pre-launch guild provide several advantages, let me put them in bullets

- You have a word to Guild's development, you actually participate and you have the chance to be part of the decision making progress, so you can help create a guild as you imagined it.

- You have plenty of time to check if that's a Guild for you or not, you'll get to know if you can tag along with other Guild members, if raiding schedule fits you, if the management style is what you sought and many other similar things.

- When the game is launched you won't care for the endless spam of joining a guild in order not to level alone, which means it will be easier for you to find group etc.

- You get to discuss the role you wanna play in Guild and communicate with the other members for that purpose.

I don't know, but from the discussions i have Guild members, old and new (i transfered the core of the Guild from wow) is that it is really great, people already started participating in forum convs and as the time pass that will grow even more. We have soon our first Ventrilo meeting so to chat a bit, etc etc...

My point is, that you have nothing to lose if you join a Guild created before a game is launched, if you don't like it, you leave, but if you do like you got your self something important for mmo gaming pretty early.

And yes, we are still recruiting, we currently have around 30 members, and we aim for around 35 before we close the phase 1 of our recruitment process
    Aheadache and Draogon like this.
  12. Rotto

Rotto Cupcake

Interesting topic. Thanks for the post OP.

What motivates me to apply before launch?

This...is hard one to answer. But ultimately it comes down to the direction I want to head in. Establishing relationships is perhaps the very pillar that guilds stand upon and the sooner you can do it, the better off you and the guild will be in the long run.

For instance, you joined up, chatted with some people and found out that the leadership wasn't quite like you imagined it. Or that your personality wasn't really a fit with those around you.

It's better to find these kinds of things out early, so you can part ways on good terms, without all the drama and find a place you belong.

It also gives them a chance to fill in your spot on the roster (especially if you agreed to a schedule of hard-core raiding).

What encourages me to apply to a guild?

This particular question is part and parcel to motivation and I think Auryn addresses it quite well so I apologize in advance for reiterating the points above.

Applying for a guild is like trying to find a shoe (I have big feet :whistling:) that fits just right. Your motivation for joining already addresses the style of play you want, so when applying you should be looking at other things instead.

Is there a guild charter?
    Is it well-written?
    Does it convey what the goal of the guild is? How about their rules?
    Do your goals coincide? Do you agree with their rules and the consequences for breaking them?

And take a moment to think about their membership.
    Is there a roster?
    Are there already core members with past experience together?
    Does the Leadership have experience with Community Management?
    If you search for them, what kind of information did you find?

And more importantly the Application itself can be just as important as the charter and you should ask yourself some of the same questions.

Is it well-written?
    Are the questions thoughtful?
    What kind of insight are they trying to gain?
    Do I want to share this kind of information?

Are all valid questions you should have when looking at such an Application.

Ultimately, applying for a guild is just that, don't be afraid of rejection! If you are, then move forward without being bitter about it. It's not the end of the world. If you do join and decide that it isn't what you were looking for... I advise you to make the break cleanly and quickly as possible because the longer you wait, the less likely you will be able to.

Do you like being a guild founder? A part of decisions?

Now...this is a complicated question because I am indeed one of the founding leaders of a gaming community that's managed to last several years now (hold your applause ;)) but originally no, I don't care for decision-making that much.

I believe in the independence and judgement of our members and take a Laissez-faire approach. Some would disagree with this method but we've pretty much boiled down to a solid core of gaming unity so there isn't much for me to do.

Yes, I make the schedules (when there is demand for them).
    Yes, I occasionally conduct interviews when someone is interested in joining. Especially when no one else has experience with playing with that person.
    Yes, I take the hammer to the occasional trollish-ness/drama that rears it's ugly head.

But ultimately, our goal is to play and have fun together so such instances are far and few between and resolved before they can be anything more than a puff of smoke.

Trust isn't a one way street and I try to give as much as I receive.

Do you mind being in a large guild? Does size matter?

I think that the size of the guild should be dependent on the goals of the guild.
    For instance, it doesn't make sense to have 100+ active members when your goal is 10 man progression.

I can tell you personally that no, size doesn't make any difference for me or anyone part of our community.
    If you are someone that we enjoy playing with, we'll aggressively try to recruit you to our side so that we can keep playing together.

Does being required to apply bother me?

Sure it does! I hate applying to just about anything because I feel that the exchange is too one-sided for my taste. That and it gives a feeling of formality similar to applying for a job. So your guild-mates become co-workers instead of long-term friends.

On the record: This is a great topic and thanks again for posting it up OP. With a budding community like the one we have here for WildStar it's more important than ever to share our opinions and experiences on a subject like this.

Off the record: Man. I feel like a gave my own group one too many plugs but I can't really help it :down:.
    Elsie, Aheadache and Auryn like this.
  13. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

I usually wait to join a guild until after the game has launched. I don't like restricting myself, since I may want to join a different server. (I may be interested in the guilds popping up, but if there are roleplaying servers, I may wish to join one of them, and I'm not sure what servers the guilds would consider.) Also, guild views often change after launch, and they may focus on something completely different than what they promised prelaunch. I think it's just safer to wait. As someone who has helped run guilds in the past, I now prefer to just join them rather than be responsible for them, unless I am friends enough with the guild leader(s).
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  14. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

This is the first time I've joined a guild pre-launch. Probably the biggest reason is I've never followed a game this closely while its still got a considerable amount of time left till launch.

Besides that, I could pretty much echo Prepared's thoughts, but it feels good knowing ill know a good chunk of people for when it launches and all the initial "newness" won't be in the way of us playing the game. It should be damn good fun.

I also figure all the kinks will be ironed out by launch too, maybe I'll decide some people are asses and decide to move on, so far that's not the case :p .
    Elsie and Recruiter like this.
  15. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

Sounds like a pretty great group if you ask me, no shame in that!
  16. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

Play to endgame, watch who's ninjaing loot and acting up. You can spot the 'bad' guilds by around midway to max level I reckon. You can see their members on LFG calling everyone noobs (probably for something that was their own misunderstanding).

I usually try to find a small, homely, non-elitist and talented guild at some point after max level, but it's not so easy to meet all those reqs. I spend a lot of time out of guild, but I make groups to do things. I don't let being guildless get in the way of progression or making friends...
    Elsie and Ingsoc like this.
  17. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I prefer being in a guild before the game launches. I feel like I already have a group in place.

I belong to a multi gaming group that is huge (2000+) members. I joined them for Darkfall and stayed with the group because they have 12 different featured chapters in 12 different MMOs. They also have smaller active groups in games that aren't considered featured. I love the ability to jump to a game and have a guild ready to go in older games. The only drawback recently has been with the last few new MMOs we have had 700-1K sized guilds in game and, although it is fantastically run and extremely organized, you can feel lost and overwhelmed. Usually after the first 3-6 mos of the games release the guild will settle down to around 250 members. Still can be overwhelming, but manageable. My favorite chapters have been the WoW and Rift chapter as they have an active rate of 30-50 players on at any given time. Anywho, back to my point. I love this particular community with most games that I don't want to either RP or invest loads of time in. In the case of Wildstar I am already sold and I am interested in RP. I will most likely find a small to medium sized guild to play with.

As for the questions asked by Aheadache, Auryn answered them much more eloquently than I would and I agree with her, so there's my answers :) . One comment I will make is that I like the application process for a guild if it is actually used and not just something that is there to be there. It doesn't have to be intense but it can weed out the folks you don't want or aren't going to be compatible.
  18. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

Is it TAW?
  19. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

No, it's OTG, Old Timers Guild. Great group of folks. I use a different handle with them. I tried to use that handle here, but I think I may have made an account here awhile ago and used it and now can't remember, LOL!
  20. Rotto

Rotto Cupcake

That happens to the best of us. :whistling:
    Mudfin likes this.