1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How do you find your Guild?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Aheadache, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

Ah righty, sounds really nice! I asked because I had a great experience with a multi-gaming guild before :)
  2. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Yep, they can be HUGE but when well done, very fun.
    Ayr likes this.
  3. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

What motivates you to app before game launch? Generally I don't. The only pre-game guild I was a part of was SWTOR and that was partially because they let us build guilds before the game was released. However, I do try and find servers with friends to play on because it gets awfully lonely playing by yourself if no one else logs in.

Do you try and fit in or look for an established perfect fit? I know that I can fit in anywhere I need to. But I do prefer to like the people. Culture of the guild (hardcore/pvp/whatever) doesn't hugely relate to me if I know that I will like the people I play with. Of course, I do want to raid so if a guild doesn't want to do that... I don't join it... :p

Do you like being a guild founder and be in the mix of the decisions? Yeah... I do, I like being a bigger part of communities that I find myself in. I don't have to be in charge of anything. I just do like to be able to talk to those in charge easily.

Do you mind being in a large guild? Does size really matter(guild size)? I rather like it actually. I try and make sure that everyone feels welcome. I think that guild culture and community is dependent on the players not the size. A guy who is toxic in a large guild would be just as toxic in his own guild by himself. :p

Does being required to app bug you? If a guild doesn't require me to apply, it's a huge red flag that I don't want to be a part of it.
  4. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

+1 to this. Just anyone joining means you are going to have a bunch of people you'll probably never share more than a sentence with.
  5. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

It's not quite as black or white as that. It's possible to not require a traditional application, yet still spend time chatting to people to make sure they're a good fit for your culture and going on several runs with them to see how they play, and how they interact in a raid with your guildmates.

There's a distinction between not requiring a forum based application, and spam inviting anyone who will accept.
    Rotto, ObliviousPrime and Elsie like this.
  6. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

What motivates you to app before game launch?

I can't really answer this because I don't really intend to app to a guild until I see actual gameplay. But when I do, it will because I enjoy being already set ina guild at launch. It makes the experience a sort of collective joy which is always fantastic. On top of that, being able to figure a guild roster before launch that allows us the ability to begin clearing elder game content very early on is a huge boon to the way in which I enjoy MMOs.

Do you try and fit in or look for an established perfect fit?

Yes. I play in a very distinct way and tend to need other like-minded players or I get frustrated.

Do you like being a guild founder and be in the mix of the decisions?

It's a situation that I end up in a lot of the time, but it isn't something that I actively seek out. If the opportunity arises to lead a guild again, I have no reservations in doing so. Right now it isn't in the forefront of my mind, but if the opportunity arises, I wouldn't shy away from it.

Do you mind being in a large guild? Does size really matter(guild size)?

Size matters in that it is lean, but not necessarily small. While some may consider the way I play and the guilds I like to be "elitist," I think it has more to do with being around like-minded people. The majority of my guilds that I have enjoyed the most have had a pretty tight roster with only minimal F&F members not as a rule, but only because people understood the point of the guild which has been/will continue to be progression PvE content.

Does being required to app bug you?

No. An app is essential for officers to get to know the candidate better. Someone who is serious about progression must also know how to comport themselves in an online space. Typos as well as incomplete, incoherent, or otherwise poorly thought out answers tell me just as much about a candidate as their mumble/vent behavior.... arguably more.

If you holdout for looking to join a guild, do you start to consider things like raiding, raid times, guild size, guild needs (classes), “server times \ location”? PvP?

I'm particularly picky when it comes to raid times. I have an absurdly busy schedule, but still want to be able to raid. This means that finding a guild with the correct mindset/raid times is of the utmost importance in my guild search.
    Aheadache likes this.
  7. arnold

arnold Cupcake-About-Town

I've only done it once, and that was with SWTOR. The guild didn't last, but the core raiders were all good and fun to play with and we turned into CKN.

I only join raiding guilds, where play speaks louder than anything.

I've been officer/raid leader/general class badass for a few guilds. I don't mind responsibility as long as my time spent on someone is worth it for the guild. If they're stupid and don't listen, I usually want them gone.

I like friendly casuals/pvpers/guild friends to talk to when I'm not raiding. I feel like larger guilds are more interesting because people are always online. Always.

On the contrary, I believe it is very important. If you don't think you should have to app, you don't belong in my guild, pretty simple. It's your resume and first impression. Raiders worth a <REDACTED> will take their time and fill out a good application. If it's <REDACTED>, I don't believe you should be given a shot.
    Aheadache likes this.
  8. Norlamin

Norlamin Cupcake

Up until a few years ago, I rarely applied before a games launch. I used to just go in solo, and find my way as I went along, applying if I had to. But thanks to actually starting to apply to guilds beforehand, I was able to find an amazing, stable group of friends that I've played with constantly ever since, even though we're no longer in said guild. Thanks to meeting them, I now generally apply to a guild before launch, only if I'm extremely sure I'll be interested in the game longterm. Joining a guild before launch also allows me to start making friends earlier, and sometimes, even play other games with said guild to get a feel for everyones personality and playstyle. I'm hoping to do the same for Wildstar as we get closer to launch, I don't know if my friends will be joining me, as they've had bitter experiences with MMO's the past few years and have been hesitant ever since being disappointed, so I'm hoping to find a good group of players, maybe even from this website, to really sink my teeth into heading into the game.

It depends really, if I'm joining the guild and there's a class restriction on my planned class, I'll more than likely wait for a spot to open up, or look elsewhere. Anything else really, I'll just try to fit in and make my presence in the guild as large as possible to gain the companionship from my guildmates.

I do, very much so, I'm very social and love to be at the frontlines of the guild, trying to help people in any possible way I can. I'm quite honest and brutal in regards to decision making as well, I won't try to sugarcoat anything, and if something is bothering me, I will speak my mind.

I used to be a guild leader in TERA, and although it was for a short while, I did enjoy it but would never want to be the head honcho again, an Officer is enough for me. I'm much better at being the supporter and voicing my opnions, than being the one who makes all the shots, I truly learned this after guild leading.

It does to an extent, I like to think of a guild as an online family. For instance, if the family gets too big, you can't show or express your love and attention as much to each individual, you have to spread it out evenly, maybe even stop spreading it out at all. I find this leads to people leaving, or staying away from large guilds altogether. I'm sure people want to be recognized and cherished in their guild, not just be another sheep amongst a flock following his herder. I think anything above a 50 player guild is too much, I believe there's a cap to how many people you can truly care for, some might disagree, but I think, the smaller the guild, the more time, devotion and love that can be spread amongst the guild family, making for a tighter group of players.

If it's a guild planning to actually succeed in a certain aspect of the game, no, I think it's needed. If you can't put a good 5-10 minutes into an application, who's to say you'll put 5-10 minutes into anything, such as looking up strategies for PvP or figuring out a boss fight. I think applications are simple things, that can truly tell you how much a player wants to be a part of your guild. If it's a massive, casual guild, where all doors are open to everyone, I think you lose your identity and just become a number. I generally stay away from guilds that don't offer an application, or at the very least, a vent/teamspeak interview. Spending a few minutes to explain yourself and your reasoning for a guild, can go a long way in making your prsence known.
    Aheadache likes this.
  9. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Thanks for the feedback everyone, this has been very informative. This helped to answer my curiosity on the topic. I am able to come away with a more unbiased objective opinion on pre game guilds and the application process. Thanks everyone.

I would still like to hear any new opinions on the topic.
  10. Draogon

In the few guilds i've joined before that are big- be it on alts or otherwise - there have been many people i simply didn't have a clue about, always ends being a small amount (30ish people) that i end up actually knowing something about in detail, and always ends up being the same people i play with.

Maybe thats just me not caring to know 300+ people at once
  11. Ingsoc

I guess I didn't explain myself very well. All I had said originally was that I'm not a huge fan of traditional, forum based applications. The last few guilds I have joined were done via the official WoW recruitment forums. I would typically spend a good deal of time, maybe 30 minutes or so, making a detailed post about what my wife and I were looking for.

Our current guild recruited us from a post like that I made near the end of Cataclysm. All told, we spent about 2 hours talking to the then-current GM in party chat and over Real ID, all getting to know each other. In addition to that, we ran several heroic instances with different people from the guild, and did some cross-realm raids with them. It helped everyone get a good feel for each other. It was basically an extended trial that lasted close to a month before we transferred at the start of Mists; neither side was in any hurry since we were waiting for the expansion to launch.

In my experience, typical question-based applications can be very misleading. People will often say what they think you want to hear, embellish their past accomplishments, or straight up lie about stuff. You also get no "real" idea about what the person is actually like. Do they annoy the piss out of you? Are they short-tempered or impatient? Are they a mouth breather with no push-to-talk key? I have found that you can usually learn all you need to know about someone by talking to them in a conversational manner, and actually playing with them to see how well you mesh. But that's just me.

Recruiting for a pre-launch guild is a totally different story, because those in-game systems aren't there. I get that. You can't always play with people when everyone is playing a different game trying to pass the time. I guess the point I was trying to make with my second post, was that the lack of a traditional application in no way means you shouldn't screen people who want to join carefully.

I was in no way advocating mass recruiting, and I'm not sure why you brought up big, 300+ people guilds. I've repeatedly stated that I'm a fan of small communities, and not massive guilds.

Peace :)
    Elsie, Rotto and Aheadache like this.
  12. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

In my Guild at least, the final form of recruitment will be based on choice, by that i mean that applicant will be able to choose whether or not he/she will use the application form to apply or a custom one...

I am always up for allowing applicants to express themselves as they feel like, w/o the boundaries of simple Q & A... Although it's not easy for everyone to express him/herself in free forms, thus i provide the option for people to do it with a traditional application form.

And don't forget, a written application is just the first step of recruitment process, Ventrilo interview and trial period are the other 2, before someone can be considered a guild member.
    Ingsoc likes this.
  13. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

Ive lead several guilds, some very large (Grey Wolves of Norrath EQ) and some very small. I've learned a lot in how to recruit and how not to recruit, but alas, my guild leading days are now over. The bigger my family gets, the less dedication I can give to something like leading a guild. I recently discovered this in the past months having to dissolve my Guild Wars 2 guild and I still feel extremely upset about it.

As far as how I join guilds, it really depends on how serious I am about the game. From a serious perspective, I seek them outside of the game through their own promotions and websites. I look for key things that I typically ask for or guidelines that I personally would set on one of my own guilds. One exception: I just set guidelines for the guild and dont do applications, but I will fill them out gladly for guilds im interested in joining.

Im also a very casual gamer, and detest rules for attendance and rules for progression. Im also not fond of "must use voip" guilds. I enjoy using voip, but if I find a guild is using it as its primary source of communication, count me out. If its for guild functions or group content, fine. Just dont alienate your guild members by secluding yourself into a mumble or vent server.
    Aheadache likes this.
  14. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

I could choke people through the mike for this. This drives me nuts but I am restraint enough try and say something politely. It's like some fool with a big bowl of popcorn in open mouth chewing sound distance from me in a movie.

Good points Ingsoc, its more then filling out a form, like developing a relationship to a point of knowing if either side is a fit. So the application process really benefits both the applicant and the guild.
  15. Rotto

Rotto Cupcake

^This.

And on the topic of mouth-breathers. Global mute and a polite message to let them know.
  16. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I can't be the only one who uses the guess and check method.

1. Random guild invites me.
    2. I look around to see if it looks like a place I want to be.
    3a. It is a place I want to be, so I stay.
    3b. It's not a place I want to be so I leave.
    Rakkis likes this.
  17. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I joined a guild on both faction sides for beta. To test group content and such, being in some sort of organized network is more efficient and guilds are the logic choice.

When it comes time for live launch, I will end up in a guild that fits my requirements and objectives, or make my own casual for me, family and friends. If there is a toolset for guild alliances, the last part might be our prefered way to do it.

Server type, region (*sigh* if we have to have those :-(), pve and pvp objectives, level of casual vs hardcore, progressive vs non-progressive, maturity, transparency and how newbie friendly it is. Guild name, rules, direction and expectations and guild representation are all factors I consider - also when looking at an alliance.

and btw *push to talk" is your friend
  18. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Prepared is your friend :)
  19. Draogon

lol, naw you explained yourself fine. I read it over again. It's what i get when i read and reply while watching Taken 2 :p

Although i've seen many people over the years - during Ventrillo apps seem cool and decent only for them to end up showing their real side much further down the line and causing drama.

People can keep up a charade just as well throught VOIP app's and several weeks just as they can through a written app.

As harsh as it is i think the best way is for everyone to do what they think is best, join a guild they feel they will like. If it doesn't work out with a guild they are either going to leave or get booted, depending on what the issues were.
  20. Ingsoc

That's very cool that you give people that choice. A lot of guilds don't. Respect.