1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How do you find your Guild?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Aheadache, Feb 17, 2013.

1. arnold

arnold Cupcake-About-Town

I'm very easily annoyed by these things as well. We had a guy in my last guild who, for whatever reason, had his mumble bind set to T. Yes, T. Anytime he would type something, anything, we'd get blurbs of mouth breathing. It was the most annoying thing in the world, and I'd tell him to change his bind every single raid.
    cali, Ingsoc and Aheadache like this.
  2. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

I always think this is the kind of guild that turns into flaming chaos.

I re-typed that line about 5 times removing a few choice words. Have yet to test if there is a profanity filter.
  3. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I can't say my results are the best. Though things tend to kind of melt away rather then bursting to flames.
  4. Dpz

Dpz Cupcake

In most of the mmo's i played it's usally:

1. Do many of my friends want to play the game? If yes then we create a guild together and it's usally small.
    2. Discussing whether or not some want's to be the leader for raids etc. If yes then we look for people.
    3. Not many friends? Then i just play guildless. Forming groups with any of the few friends that do play.
    4. Start searching pugs for the instances.
    5. Endgame wait for something to happen lol.

(6) I rarely search for guilds in the beginning, most of the times i have ended up in a guild is because i've been nice/helpfull to people in groups. Knowing how to play your class well goes a long way to get noticed by others as well.

As a lone player, think it boils down to the community, i'm not sure what model they will use, closed servers, or x-realm stuff. I hope for the first, i think this game will be sucessful enough to do just that.

This helps out alot to find nice people, or you tend to be forgotten in the wast sea of players that you probably will never see or remember, allso the community on that server becomes soooo much better. Being a jerk all the time? well people will not play with you, so people tend to be nicer towards eachother.

I was Horde in WoW and i still remember people from the Alliance, that i bumped into (yeah i was a huge PvPer), i even talked to some of them on our ventrilo, some i flat out "hated" so it was k.o.s on them, i still remember many of the names of the Horde players even though i never really played with them.

This is what a good community does for you :)

TL;DR read the first 6 points, i got off track / nostalgia.
    Aheadache likes this.
  5. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

Normally I have some goals in mind as to how I want to play the game. If there is raiding, then I'm almost always looking for a group to level up with quickly and own some dragons. Most guilds I've been in the past tend to play new games casually and just stick to wow on raid nights. I like diving deep into new games and seeing what kind of fun there is to be had. I was in prelaunch guilds for Warhammer and SWTOR. For GW2 I played with some guildies on off nights. I feel pretty privileged at the moment because my SWTOR guild has decided to play this game and we're all very excited for it (YAY!).

Normally I try to find guilds on my own by searching forum spam and the guild's site. If they have public applications then I always check out a few of those to see: 1. What kind of questions do the existing members ask of new applicants? 2. Do they deny anyone based on either bad attitudes or because they don't put more than 30 seconds into their application?

I do like being in a leadership role. I have been a guild leader for a while and I've also had a lot of experience being a follower. I have a lot of fun leading our group to that big boss kill.

I tend to like larger guilds. We're going to be a 40 man raiding guild so that's a pretty large group of people. I don't think the size matters as much as the activity. I absolutely hate when a group is never in voice chat unless we're raiding. I like just talking to people and enjoy when I'm not the only one there haha.

I like applications. They give me a chance to tell this potential guild who I am. If I'm not a good fit for them I want to know right away and not go through a 3-4 week trial if it's not going to work out.
  6. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Typically I will join MMO communities pretty early in development and get to know other active members. Usually that evolves into some guild being created shortly before the launch of that MMO. For WildStar this is the first time I've created a guild so early, luckily there are great people here to make things easier.

When it comes to guild size I've always preferred ones on the smaller side, something around 40-50 is usually the sweet spot for my taste. For WildStar I do want to attempt 40 man raids casually so that is something we'll have to work on or with other guilds in the future. Especially if we want to stay in that 50 member range. The idea of an application doesn't bother me just a particular format or question.
    JarNod likes this.
  7. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Im very much in a strange position.

As a former raider, I really dont want to get back into hardcore raiding, however I am open to the idea of casual raiding or even raiding as part of an alliance of guilds.
    As a casual or rather serious casual, I like being with folks who take the game seriously enough to discover everything but also enjoy what they are doing.
    And as a former player on Mal'ganis , the only pvp server to have horde outnumber alliance in vanila wow, while being good at pvp, I dont like pvp servers so I tend to go for pve servers.
    And to top it all off I enjoy rp or being around folks who do when I dont have time for rp that day.

So with that said, I shall tackle the questions.

I app before a game launch to get to know a community of friendly , drama light or non drama (preferably the later but hey its people ! ) folks so i have a community of interaction right off the bat.
    I may end up going to lone gun this time simply because I want to get to know the community on the ground floor but we shall see how that goes.

I am pretty flexible on most things but not on some. There is no perfect fit. As someone whos been a recruiter and a potential applicant , Im well aware of failed expectations and trying to force a chemistry.
    So to some extent, while I do allow myself to fit in, there are some things I will not door give on - which are mainly social interaction issues.
    But no , I do not look for a perfect fit.

Hmm I would rather not be a guild founder. Running a guild is hard work, and a lot of effort. Continuous recruiting, managing people. It can be rewarding if you have a great bunch of people, but Id rather be one of the great bunch :p I must say however I do appreciate some openness from guild leadership and feedback process. Approachability is always important.

A guild of about 50 to 60 actives would be ideal. It allows for raiding, casuals, dungeon runners, pvpers, rpers of all stripes and best of all has enough of a population that you can find a circle of friends to fit in with in a what is hopefully happy friendly community.
    I have had the pleasure of being part of a couple of guilds like that and it has been great.
    My current guild is like that but unfortunately real life has willowed the number of active players down to about 5ish.

Apping is important. It gives a baseline of what to expect from a person while also showing what ballpark the guild is looking for. Im all for applications and procedures.
    It may seem like red tape for nothing, but it can filter out some bad apples. Unfortunately some good apples may be turned off by this but better to loose some good then to allow in bad .

Server times not so much. But I do have a list of where and what type of guild I want to be in. If I see something that fits the fairly extensive but not overly difficult criteria , I will app. Otherwise I will quite happily wait it out till I find one. Its better to be alone and yet enjoying yourself then to find yourself in a situation that turns you off the game.

My 5 cents.
    Aheadache likes this.
  8. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

This is quite an interesting read. As im part of the lead of our community im usually involved in leading each game we establish a guild in and I wont be recruiting at least until we see betas upon us. I find it interesting what motivates guild leads to recruit a good time before launch.
    We tried it for swtor and had real problems holding onto players . Over 50% of applicants never even found the in game guild while our core community were as rock solid as always. I just wonder if other peeps recruiting early have done so before and their experience with it.
  9. Aheadache

That's is kind of what led me to make this post. I am still on the fence about joining a guild pre game, though I have been actually considering this for Wildstar. I did join a guild pre SWTOR that turned out to be a big mistake, I heard they died out not long after launch. I think its fine to build a team and get to know people beyond the forums pre game. There are a lot of players looking for a relation like your guild has, a rock solid community. Thanks for the interesting feedback.
  10. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

What motivates you to app before game launch?
    I've always said that being a part of a solid group of folks before a game comes out lets you get to see how people will game together. I've been a part of some large gaming communities (still a part of a few actually just not active. WNx, Military Gamers, Gamers with PTSD, ect ect). Applying lets you see if a new home is really a new home.

Do you like being a guild founder and be in the mix of the decisions?
    I have a military background where I commanded soldiers in battle. Leading is something that comes naturally to me so I do enjoy leading a group of awesome people to battle. Win or lose it will always be something to be proud of and that we did together. We accomplished together. Sometimes being in charge means making decisions that are tough but if you are a good leader people will understand.

Do you mind being in a large guild? Does size really matter(guild size)?
    While large communities can be fun to be a part of when it comes to playing with tons of people at any time of the night... I like a smaller atmosphere. I like knowing everyone's name. I like sharing our gaming experiences and our lives with each other. Every gaming community I've been apart of had a component that I was intimately close with. Some of my gaming friends date as far back to Text based Muds and are friends I've met IRL, had in my house, and one of them actually came to my first wedding :p Guild sizes really doesn't matter it just depends on the environment they create.

Do you try and fit in or look for an established perfect fit?
    I'm just me. I'm one of the more outspoken, transparent, honest, hardworking leaders you will have in an guild :p We don't want people to have to fit and I would never join an organization if I had to fit in. While I was in some of my hardcore raiding days in WoW I guess I wouldn't say I felt at home/friendly with everyone but that was because we were all there for 1 reason. That reason was putting down content as quickly as possible and working together as a team to do so. Try to find a guild/organization that makes you feel at home and is aligned with the goals you have in a game. You want a straight up hardcore guild? Find the guys who only want to be the best at whatever cost :p You want a casual, yet hardcore minded approach, those guilds are out there.

Side note: If you want the best of all those worlds, with leadership that has both MMO leadership and RL experience along with a place for everyone from hardcore to casual players... I know a guild that is recruiting awesome people :p

Does being required to app bug you?
    Absolutely not. An application is part of the screening process to accepting someone into your group. There are plenty of zerg recruiting guilds out there that will take in the masses just for the large numbers. They also commonly come with a bunch of drama. Homie don't play dat.

If I wasn't leading SVG with Beetle I would more than likely be guild shopping. As of yet I haven't found another guild around that allows the mix of hardcore AND casual players under the same house like we have going on at Subterfuge Vanguard. I have seen a few other organizations/guilds come around but they are either not established well enough or have some sort of history in the gaming world that would make me wary about being a part of their organization. Right now it seems that most of the well known, respected guilds in MMO gaming are still trudging through the mud messing with ArcheAge and Teso while waiting to see how Wildstar comes along.

The big reason why we work so hard over at SVG getting ready for launch is because we've seen games come and go. We've been a part of helping a game get built just to watch things crumble literally right in front of us and it is heartbreaking. I've seen organizations with adults who cannot manage time or effectively communicate and it turns into large drama messes that don't need to ever be. I hope that every guild is successful and is able to create the exact environment that players want to be a part of. Hardcore RP? Do it up. Casual 2 hours a day, 8-10pm EST 3 days a week hardcore approach to PvE? Rock on. Huge community of trolls? (No go away. No one likes you. Shoo shoo, back to League). Huge community of EU gamers who only play during NA times? Sweet.

TL:DR Applying before game launch helps build relationships, friendships, and trust. I personally enjoy leading and that is why I am leading SVG with Beetle currently. Guild size doesn't matter, the environments they create do. A fit is important, try to find out what fit is the most important. (Raid spot, family atomosphere, ect). Apps are first impressions and good.

:inlove:
    Oroshi, Aegon, Nyxis and 2 others like this.
  11. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

Please tell me this is the one and only Screenage with an amazing accent.. and I'm going to cheer.
  12. Aheadache

Thanks for this detailed feedback Blankspace, I was actually already impressed with your guild post and have checked out your guild site a few times. I was going to fill out an application after going over a few things with my wife seeing how I feel I am more hardcore on this and she might be taking the casual gaming this time around.
    Beetle, Blankspace and Nyxis like this.
  13. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

What motivates you to app before game launch?
    I don't, generally, very little reason to as It's important for me to know how well the guild does, if it's worth investing my time into and if they have much of a PvP presence.

Do you try and fit in or look for an established perfect fit?
    I'll fit in, I'm generally pretty quiet in terms of guild chat, in guild I will always group and help with objectives but not a chatty guy in general.

Do you like being a guild founder and be in the mix of the decisions?
    Nah, did the whole guild leader thing through BC, organizing raids and all that....so over it.

Do you mind being in a large guild? Does size really matter(guild size)?
    Generally the more successful guilds are large so it's almost required for me, by proxy. There is nothing more frustrating than allocating time to raid and have it cancelled because people didn't show.

Does being required to app bug you?
    Quite....however it's almost always required for most of the guilds I'm interested in.

If you holdout for looking to join a guild, do you start to consider things like raiding, raid times, guild size, guild needs (classes), “server times \ location”? PvP?
    Raiding times, PvP, Guild size. I always play a healer, and very well, so I'm almost always a valued commodity.
    Aheadache likes this.
  14. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

I joined a guild made on gw2guru a month or so before launch because ppl in it seemed nice and fun from their postings.
    I'm still in that guild, and it was a pleasant experience.

Hence I decided to repeat the same thing here when I saw some cool ppl were in the same guild.
  15. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

Being part of a gaming community makes it easy for me we just form a guild in whatever game we are playing and thats that.
  16. TheJedi

TheJedi New Cupcake

I want to actually have a website up for My Wildstar guild.
    Without a doubt that will be the plan. Once I do I will post the link here for folks to sign up for it. :)
  17. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

I've been around for a few game launches and joined guilds at various stages of release with mixed results.

I joined an established raiding guild in WoW and that worked out great because it was a good fit for me. I stayed with them for years, until Blizzard killed its game and we all wandered off. I did tons of homework on my SWToR guild and it turned out to be an awesome guild that was exactly what I wanted. Too bad the game wasn't. GW2, I decided to take my time and level before finding a guild. That was kind of lonely -- won't do that again.

I'll be joining a guild before launch, that has similar goals as mine (raiding), compatible timezone (west coast or central), I'll be a peon (had enough of being an Officer for now), and the guild will be a bit larger than the raid size (enough to have fill-in's without a huge, bored bench) and it will have some requirement of maturity.

I like the written application process. Zerg /ginvite guilds haven't turned out well for me. Some sort of idiot-filter is important. I won't do a vent interview though. It's not a job. There's plenty of time to get to know me during the trial period.
    Aheadache likes this.
  18. Aheadache

Welcome to the community.
  19. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

Connecting with members of that guild. A guild is a community within a community.

I always look for a guild I'll fit in with. If I feel like I need to change? Then something is already wrong.

I don't need to lead or follow. As long as it feels like a two way street instead of one way? Then I've been fine with either.

Size is important. Small guilds are nice but the more people who can share the load? The more flexible I can feel within the guild.

Its good to know there are standards. Having an app process can help everyone feel like they are earning a place.

I always consider location and size. A small guild with no one else on when you are in-game? Can feel pretty lonely.

I dabbled in guilds with shooters but never really cared. It wasn't until WoW that I took one seriously. The Khans from SWG had started a WoW chapter and I was recruited early on. I don't even recall the server name anymore.

After a few months it ended up fracturing and with my interest in WoW waning? I ended up leaving the game and the guild. I came back to WoW once or twice and found new guilds. My interest in WoW just wasn't strong enough to keep me invested.

The next game I took guilds seriously in was WAR. I got interested in the game soon after Mythic took over development. Met some guys I liked in a guild called Supplicium and was soon invited into the Closed Beta. Actually ended up running a Guilds In Beta thread, on the Beta Forum, that lasted about till launch. For Supplicium, WAR itself became an issue as it just didn't live up to many members expectations. Including the leadership.

This led to a steady decline in membership and combined with real life issues? Eventually I lost any desire to keep going with the game or guild. Tried guilds in AoC, DCUO, CoH, TOR, etc, etc... The biggest issue was usually the game just not keeping me, and quite a few others, interested.

Its come to the point where until I'm in-game? I don't think its fair that I join a guild, and possibly end up in a leadership position, when I can't be sure I'll be playing the game for more than a few weeks.
    Aheadache likes this.
  20. Honoracy

Honoracy Cupcake-About-Town

I usually wait until cap to look for a guild, unless it's a new server I'm on. Then I will join a guild to level up and talk/group up with.

I look for a guild that fits my play style and fits my needs for raid times. Since I'm east coast I often look for a guild that is as well. Guilds with high requirements for experience and skill is a must as well.