1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How do you find your Guild?

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Aheadache, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

blank mate yep its me. :) loud and scottish
  2. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Nope. I never join guilds before a game's launch.
    1. Guild may choose a different server type than my wishes.
    2. Guild may turn out to be a trash guild in practice. Oh did I say trash ? Sorry, I meant casual pve,pvp,rp, we do everything.
    3. Most guild members will level fast while I like to experiment with different races and classes. Guild will have a core of members at high level but not in enough numbers to do end game content -> they leave the guild and join another so they can do end game. This may or may not include the guild master as well, in which case the guild will be dead.

Thanks, but no thanks.
  3. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Do you mean guilds that advertise as casual as trash, because that's a bit unfair - their are some great "casual"/social guilds such as ToG. As for the we do everything - it's possible to do, but I agree your guild definitely needs a focus. I'll be doing "everything" but there will definitely be a focus on raid PvE above all else.
  4. Shaigh

Shaigh Cupcake

What motivates you to app before game launch?
    I enjoy guild banter. Its good to know more people before you start playing. If you are lucky the guild works out and you meet a lot of new nice people that makes your time inside the game better. If the guild doesn't work out you move on and find a new guild. There is absolutely nothing to lose by joining a guild before launch.

Do you try and fit in or look for an established perfect fit?
    I look for guilds until I find one that fits my gaming preferences.

Do you like being a guild founder and be in the mix of the decisions?
    Before launch of a game I try to avoid becoming an officer simply because I don't know what other people are like, or if I will enjoy the game in the long run.

I have created and started a raid guild from scratch and even though it was quite an experience I have no desire to lead a raidgroup again. It just takes so much time and is too much of a sacrifice if you want to do a good job.

I don't really care if I have a say in decisions anymore and I usually say no to officer roles unless they don't take no for an answer.

Do you mind being in a large guild? Does size really matter(guild size)?
    I don't like small guilds, and I don't like zerg guilds. A proper guild has 10-25 members online during primetime with 50-75 members.

Does being required to app bug you?
    I only join guilds that requires applications or guild references. Allowing anyone to join makes for really bad guilds.
    Aheadache likes this.
  5. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

No, I don't mean casual = trash. But generally guilds that do everything are basically leveling guilds and ppl usually leave them at max level so they can join guilds that focus on something. These guilds never amount to anything worthwhile and are just a bunch of people doing light content. Imo, these are trash guilds, guilds that don't do anything serious, will never complete the latest raid content unless the content is nerfed or they overgear it, nor will their players have anything to show in rated pvp. Trash.
  6. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

Not a whole lot aside from a part of a group I already socialize with, which is forming one.

The people are the important aspect, so can't really look for a perfect fit. Though most do state what kind of group they are, so start with those which sound most like myself.

Doesn't matter. Again, it's the people I enjoy and play with, rules and complexity outside the game don't really get much of my time.

Size doesn't matter, like most, normally will still wind up playing only with small core.

Yes. Information is not really relevant nor can it be easily verified. Judge me from interacting and playing with me, not based on some write up.

Aheadache likes this.
  7. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Wanting to be a part of a likeminded team from the word go with the knowledge that we have defined goals and planned activities. Avoiding the 'random die roll' of just picking any server at launch without knowing anything about guilds present there.

Hopefully try to find an established perfect (or close as possible) fit.

Nope - I used to resource plan/manage for work, no interest in doing so in a game. I'm a follower not a leader.

Having done both I prefer more tightly knit guilds. Depends on your definition of large. I don't enjoy being a part of the typical mass invite spamming guilds as you tend to get the dregs of the playerbase in such guilds (so qqing/drama/embarrassing world chat spam etc all happen). Wildstar you are probably looking at around 60 members for the 'tightly knit' raiding guilds, maybe slightly more.

Nope - I won't join a guild that requires no app in any game I'm intending to play team based content in. Any guild not interested in the qualities of it's potential members isn't one that fits with my mindset/playstyle.
    I use a guilds' recruitment forums to get an idea of their recruitment standards if I can see those forums (ie seeing if every app is just 'accepted' or if there are 'rejected' ones and why they were rejected etc).

If you holdout for looking to join a guild, do you start to consider things like raiding, raid times, guild size, guild needs (classes), “server times \ location”? PvP?
    I always consider the raiding/raid times and server location/type when looking at guilds. Guild needs are not really a concern anymore for me as I'm happy playing any role, if I develop a love for a certain class/spec before applying to a guild then I will factor it into my considerations but it's rare for me not to enjoy multiple roles.
    Aheadache likes this.
  8. Ico

I see where you're coming from and whilst these players are probably not as good as yourself, I don't think there's need to insult them as such, if they stay out of your way and out of performance critical guilds, they should be free to do whatever they want imo. Everyone pays, everyone has the right to enjoy in their own way.

I do also understand completely that you get A LOT of guilds pop up pre-release with no preparation or experience and it just creates a flood of guilds that disapear a week later!

Can't disagree with you more, from someone's app I get a preliminary judge of character, their communication skills and just generally the amount of effort their willing in. If I get an app full of one-line (and non descriptive) answers, or incoherent rambling, it does not bode well for the app's result.

I'll judge trialist's personality and skill when they're on trial, it's why trials exist. From a management perspective, guilds run like running an office and when it comes to new guildies/employees - the initial responsibility to impress is on the applicant. But it's all optional of course, no one is forcing you to write an application to a guild that requires one, just don't expect to be invited.
  9. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

You cannot get a judge of character based on a write up. You can get a judge of intelligence, but based on how intelligent the writer is, they can fabricate whatever persona and character they wish.

I have always been approved when I do apply, but that is more because I look at all the information available and pick the best match. So in the end it's just an annoyance which really isn't needed.

Then again, I am not surprised my opinion differs. After reading your concept on how leadership is to act, I wouldn't apply to such a guild to begin with. I view all people as equals, not subordinates that have to jump through hoops to impress or serve others.
  10. Ico

I can and I do, just because you mold the truth so you think you're ticking checkboxes to the guild admin, it doesn't mean everyone else is. Also, is there something wrong with wanting intelligent people in a guild? I've been in open recruitment guilds and I've been in application guilds. The application guilds have ALWAYS had a better average quality of player.

For my guild you're not treated differently on trial, but the trial is a proper section of joining the guild, you get to see if you'd like it in the guild and we get to see if you're a good fit. But Guilds work on the premise that all people can't be equals - they are a formal structure and have a leadership team that the members allow to tell them what to do.

Despite my previous comments guilds are of course not RL, I'm not your commander that will genuinely shoot or imprison you for not listening and I'm not your boss who'll fire you. "Obeying" orders/tactics/co-ordinates is much more due to the members trusting the leadership that they know what they're doing. Ofc this applies to how I manage a guild and run a guild, in which we push for progress. If I was in a social guild I have no doubt that it's an entirely different world.

You lie on you applications, or at least cherry pick what to put. The application is so I can see what you think is important, I've had plenty of guys and even the odd girl come across with amazing written applications (non of it fiction) but then they are just rude and abrasive to other members earning them a kick.

I see it as a barrier against players that I wouldn't want as well. The only people to apply are those who think it's worth doing a write up. If someone can't be bothered to spend 10minutes answering a couple of questions, then how can I know they'll be bothered to gear up/ get consumables out of raid?
    Calsic and Shaigh like this.
  11. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

I usually don't apply early.. unless.. I sense a strong presence amongst the guild. >;D

Aside from my first real guild, which was a friends & family oriented guild merged with a hardcore guild, I usually find guilds through PvP... because I'm totally awesome.. *wink wink* ..and I prefer to see how competent of players the guild I might be joining has.

I fit in where I fit. : / I usually play healer-PVE & RDPS/Healer support-PvP.

Unlimited power! Mwahahah... wait.. no not really. A good guild leader/founder has to dedicate a lot of time to make sure everyone is on the same page, treated fairly, etc. Although, I am currently rocking a 1-man guild in Guild Wars 2 with little-to-no management issues.

A good guild will know my opinions on decisions, because the officers won't sit within an exclusive club.

Back when 40-man raids were a thing, yeah. The size doesn't matter nearly as much as the atmosphere does. I've helped start a few minor guilds that focused mainly on roster size, and it just wasn't an enjoyable lot to be around. I prefer to be around easy-going, yet competent, players who respect real life time constraints. It's great to try for World-Firsts and whatnot, but if you need to constantly butcher your schedule just to keep up, then it's not really worth doing.

Not really.. It works for some guilds, because it fills a completely valid function. I've applied once before to a HC guild. It was exactly like writing a job resume. I had fun writing it -- I got in :) -- but in the end I don't like being in a guild with an overly too-formal atmosphere.

If I can get into beta, or once the game launches, I'll probably search around for a good sized guild to do 40-mans with. I might have to pull out the ole' "resume" once again, but we'll see...
    Aheadache likes this.
  12. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

The thing is it only ends up wasting your time when you lie in an application. We had this type of scenario a lot in WoW in TBC as people would write up anything to get into the guild (we were fairly highly ranked worldwide) because they saw even a trial as a route to free epics.
    It also depends what information you ask for in your application - we requested a history of raid experience that was easily verified. Despite this we still had a lot of applications that just made up a good raid history for themselves and of course were never accepted because they had lied about it (it became sort of a game among members to play detective on any applications).
    Those who lied about personal character etc and managed not to betray their true selves via responses in their application thread invariably gave themselves away during the first couple of weeks of their trial by moaning about loot or some form of 'bad behaviour' and were kicked (wasting their time and often the cost of transferring server to join us).
    So while you may have a point for some aspects of an application, it certainly does not apply to anything checkable and also tends to serve little purpose other than a temporary delay of the inevitable. It depends on how well thought out or intensive the application itself is as well to some extent.
  13. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

I can tell you from running a guild that the app is the most important thing I'll recruit you on. Most of the time the content of the app is irrelevant. I just want to see that you have taken time and pride in it and are serious about joining. I may get less applicants but thats good. A well structure app weeds out the timewasters.
  14. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

Eh this is partially true.

An application is just like your resume for real life. Except for gaming.
    You check to make sure that someone really has a degree, you read strengths and weaknesses (usually not written), and decide what sort of follow up questions during the interview process that you wish to ask.

At least for how we process apps over at SVG it isn't just the wall of text or the detail put into your gaming history but it is also about how good of a gamer overall you describe yourself as.
  15. B00TE

B00TE Cupcake-About-Town

I don't usually join before a game launches unless I end up taking a shine to a few members of the same guild. Something that'll make me think I'd enjoy spending my time in game with these people, etc.
  16. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

In my first real mmo, Rift, I just kinda stumbled into guilds and raiding. Anything I tried after that (SWTOR, GW2, TSW) I always joined a guild before the game started, knowing the importance of grouping. I realise now this was always just a case of impatience on my part - joining a guild before the game is released won't bring the game any quicker. I followed the same behaviour here, even as far as starting a guild, but I knew it wasn't for the right reasons.

Unless one of the better EU guilds from Rift moves over, I'm gonna wait now. Join the faction / server I want and roll the class I want without being swayed by pre-game polls. When I eventually join a guild the game will be underway and there will be a much better selection to apply to.

Also, as a note to Guilds who are recruiting. Casual hardcore is not a thing. PvE/PvP focus is not in the least focused. International is far too vague a time slot. Be very clear and limiting about what you want and you will get who you want. Too many guilds spread the net far and wide and end up full of welly boots and shopping trolleys.
    Aheadache likes this.
  17. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Scottish guild leaders are generally the best. Though I am biased.
    Screenager and Blankspace like this.
  18. ChrisJSY

ChrisJSY New Cupcake

I'm a hardcore player, I put effort into playing when some others may not, I want to be the best, I min-max. So I look for a guild of equal minded people but these days it's very hard.

All the hardcore guilds are full, or reserve spots for friends of friends and such and keep in a closed circle, finding one that happens to be what they claim is also hard, almost every guild website I visit touts "Server Firsts" and such; it's hard to validate but I never question them, I just trust :p

I don't mind being guildless at start because I play with real life friends who always roll the core trinity set-up. But when it comes to finding another 15 or 35 players so we can continue end game with raids? It's been years and years since I really found "the one".

I'll be looking for one prior to launch, I want to make some new friends and have a new experience in an MMO that'll keep me interested for a while, or so I hope! I put effort into my applications, maybe a bit too much, but it shows that I'm not competley lazy.

Excuse the grammar, 0320 zzzz.
  19. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

What surprises me is the number of high ranking guild leads / officers in pvp guilds that are scottish....its like were an angry people or something ?;)
    Blankspace likes this.
  20. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

I think it's our ability to filter out BS and speak up when things need to be said. I've ran a guild both in Rift and SWTOR. Was always a bit of a hothead and had a love of the /gkick but we got great results. Whether this was because or in spite of the way we ran things I don't know but I'll tell you one thing. Give em solid progression and they will stay.
    Screenager likes this.