1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How many hours a day is considered "Hardcore"?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Fumblegrum, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Fumblegrum

Fumblegrum New Cupcake

How many hours a day would you think is acceptable for the average "hardcore" mmo player?
  2. BStrait57

BStrait57 New Cupcake

I think there is more to consider when talking about the difference between 'hardcore' and 'casual.' Not just time investment, but what one does during that in-game time, how much they theory-craft, and what they do when they're not playing (check walkthroughs, look at/figure out stats, converse with other players, etc).

For instance, I once played minecraft for at least 72 hours one week. But, I wasn't doing much besides digging and building (not exactly hard-core). But, I have played games where I would log on for only an hour a day maximum but I would sink a ton of time into learning the mechanics, different playing strategies, PvP strategies, item stats, etc., which I would consider hard-core.

TL;DR: 'hardcore' is more than just in-game time investment.
  3. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

I dunno I think 16-20 hours a day when grinding to max level or trying to world first raids is normal for the "Hardcore" guilds
  4. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

i dunno you an find that people have a job and sleep can be hardcore.. they log in for 5-66 hours a day 4-5 times a week and they hit the stuff they need to hit to keep up with the curve of the top 10% does that make them less hardcore than the person who has time to grind 16 hours a day?... well to the person who has the time to grind 16 hours a day I suppose it does. My point? It's all relative andsubjective to where you already sit. I've had my community described as hardcore more often than not now so I have accepted the tag but it's never one we set out to label ourselves with if that makes sense
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

So hardcore people have the ability of logging in for 66 hours a day.....can you teach me how to get 66 hours out of a day? I sure can use some more time in my life! :D
    Kataryna likes this.
  6. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

42 ... obviously
    (interestingly, its 24 in reverse)
  7. Kellth

Kellth Cupcake

8+
  8. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore.
  9. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

In all seriousness though, I have seen people play games like WoW where they would come home from work at 5 and play till midnight weekdays and play 10am to 2 am on weekends. They just did stupid <REDACTED> like dailies and pet battles on multiple toons.

The hardcore player knows how to use time efficiently. You could be "hardcore" if you logged on only to raid a few nights a week. I would say that the hardcore players are going to spend most of their time playing when new content is out and then just doing farm stuff in between patches.
  10. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

oops derp meant 6 dam phone... but the point pretty much made itself eh :D
  11. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

I play 7 days a week... for about 6-10 hours on work days. Non work days, I just don't sleep.... :p

Yes I'm a loser. ;)
  12. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

I consider the hours between 4:15 pm and 12:35 am to be hardcore. Only those hours.
  13. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

Hardcore has also greatly changed ever since MMOs went to instanced raids. Today a hardcore raiding guild could be hardcore with only 4hrs a day. In EQ hardcore guilds needed to have a raid class group on almost all the time for most of the life of the game to go off and snipe raid targets when they spawned.
  14. Perigon

Perigon Cupcake

I would say an average of around 5hours or more on each day is hardcore.
  15. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

Between 20-40 hours a week if you work or have college. You could still slip into casualness depending on what you're doing in-game though. So many of my friends don't glyph/gem/enchant themselves, wtf.
  16. Yamagishi

Yamagishi New Cupcake

I don't really count hardcore by how many hours they play, but rather how they use their time. A casual player might go through the game for fun maybe look up a guide for skill builds if they are confused and such. A hardcore player would be the people testing builds, equipment sets, finding the best ways to PvP or raid, or just treat those things as serious business.

One may put in more hours than the other, but that is irrelevant, personally.
  17. Perigon

Perigon Cupcake

Look up what casual means as a noun in your nearest dictionary (or search engine). You will find that it is in fact time that defines it.
  18. Ippo

Ippo New Cupcake

A hardcore gamer focuses pretty much all of their free time toward the game they are actively playing.
  19. Yamagishi

Yamagishi New Cupcake

Sure, I'll look it up. And I got "relaxed and unconcerned".

Here is an example of number of hours being irrelevant.

In a MMO I play, I enjoy slowly going through quests or dailies and spending most of my time chatting with random people in the same area of me. I didn't join a guild, or raid, or even care about optimal builds.

My friend is in a large guild, raids, large scale PvP, but he also plays less hours then me on a weekly bases.

Who would you consider a casual player here?
    Sealdorie likes this.
  20. MaBucket

MaBucket New Cupcake

I used to hardcore raid in WoW during TBC with the lead-guild. We spent around 6-7 hours a day raiding, not including time preparing for raids beforehand (i.e gathering/buffing for the first time) or grinding daily quests for repair costs.

So for me it was 6 hours a day of Raid-Time were compulsory to maintain my position in the main raid group, at least 5 days a week.