1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How many hours a day is considered "Hardcore"?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Fumblegrum, Jan 13, 2014.

1. purplestreak

purplestreak New Cupcake

Depends~

If you have no responsibilities or life commitments and log in for almost the whole day everyday, then I'd most definitely consider you "hardcore". However though, I'd also say your hardcore, even if you have a lot going on, if when playing you take playing it very cereal and know how to use your time and what not.

Someone like me. I play 3-4 hours on weekdays (sometimes I skip days if I'm too busy), and then a good bit on weekends but never all day. Also, when I play, I take PvE and PvP very causally (as in I'm typically not in a rush to complete either), as I'd rather focus on stuff like crafting, housing, and collecting vanity stuff. Though pretty sure you'll get a different opinion from everybody about that.
  2. Perigon

Perigon Cupcake

To raid regularly, do large scale pvp properly and actively participate in a guild, takes a lot of hours. A casual would only have the time to focus on one main aspect of the game and that's why I would consider example number two as being hardcore. As realistically he is going to spend more hours online than example one.

Your first example could be described as being a hardcore waster of time lol. I've never heard of a person who only only does dailies and manages to spend more time online than a serious raider and pvper. If that was the case then the only way it would really make sense would be if he was afking and watching tv at the same time or something. The case you display where example one spends more time online than example two, is extremely rare at best. However if somehow he did spend more hours actually playing the game (afking with many breaks doesn't count) than example two then he could also be considered as being hardcore.
  3. Yamagishi

Yamagishi New Cupcake

No matter how rare a case is, a person who plays MMO's like that I doubt would call them self hardcore . Assigning an arbitrary amount of hours of playtime to say who would consider hardcore doesn't really work, since people do different things with their time. I know plenty of people who spend a lot of time in MMO's doing nothing but chatting it up with guild members or helping low level players and don't consider themselves hardcore players just because they put in like 3+ hours a day.

And even amongst hardcore players, depending on what they focus more on doing, time can vary. Someone who raids more might spend more time playing the game than someone who crafts for example.
    calebrus likes this.
  4. Jakurah

Jakurah New Cupcake

To me being hardcore isn't about time investment its about how competitively you play the game. A hardcore player will do everything they can to get the most out of their character while a casual player will do w/e is most convenient and focus on having fun. Basically hardcore = competitive and casual = relaxed.
    calebrus and Nevron like this.
  5. Azer

Azer Cupcake

If you have a job, girlfriend or go to your classes you arent hardcore.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

So you say an addicted guy with an addicted girlfriend who both are unemployed and don't go to classes, sitting around the 15 hours a day on playing MMO's isn't considered hardcore? Cause he has a GF?

And yes, this is an example taking from RL so your definition is FLAWED! :p
  7. Ippo

Ippo New Cupcake

You're not hardcore!
    Unless you live hardcore!
    But the legend of the rent was way hardcore!!!
  8. Sfr528

Sfr528 New Cupcake

I'm sorry to say that this type of play is not what I'd consider to be casual. Anyone that can basically play a game everyday for a even a few hours I wouldn't classify as being casual.

When I look at what my schedule used to be like playing WOW, by some players standardizations I wouldn't be considered a hardcore player. I basically raided 5 nights a week for 4-5 hours a night, depending on how close we were to killing a boss. I was in a top 50 guild in the world for 25man content and yet I never logged in for any other reason other to raid and cap out on valor. A given week I might have played around 25 or so hours. My playtime was usually from 9pm till 12/1am.

To be honest, I consider someone who is working, going to school, still managing to get out for social events whilst figuring out time to raid and get boss kills down at a reasonable pace to be very hardcore. Even more so than those players that somehow manage to play 120+ hours a week due to having no other responsibilities.
  9. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

calebrus likes this.
  10. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

^this
    The question asked for an arbitrary number. An arbitrary number was given.
    /thread
  11. Sealdorie

Sealdorie New Cupcake

When I played FFXI the "Hard Cores" were the ones that set their alarm clocks for the 21-24 hour "HNM" (really big bosses that only spawned every so many hours). So if the window opened at 4am they'd be up waiting for said spawn. This would even go as far as to even get in the guild you had to give leadership information such as your cell phone number so they could call you for an unexpected spawn (sometimes you didn't have the time of death to accurately predict when the next HNM would spawn). These people also calculated complex mathematical equations to explain how game mechanics worked and spent hours upon hours testing these theories.

These people were generally also fairly toxic to those that did not share their same gusto for the game, and would look down upon those like myself who did not feel the need to have the highest tier gear. I tried briefly to join one of these groups because I had the time to do so, and quickly discovered that we held nothing in common socially.

I played long hours in college, but I was never considered "hard core." I spent a lot of my time helping lowbies get past missions or just exploring the world. Sometimes I'd even just sit logged in chatting while I worked on homework.

Today "Hard Core" seems to have taken on a new meaning. Time, and time alone seems to be the defining factor.

When I play games I may play from the time I get home until midnight, or I may play two hours depending on what I get into or how I feel. But my time is generally spent doing the same things I've always done. Questing, exploring, helping others.

If I raid I generally end up becoming a filler spot because I do not wish to place myself in that kind of commitment. I have a job, and am married (my husband plays mostly console games). It's rather awkward to be at dinner with your husband and look at your watch only to say "Can we hurry this up a bit, I have a raid in an hour."

Goodness I've typed a lot. I guess in short I feel hardcore can no longer be judged by how long you play, but how you play. Do you want to be the best? Do you spend all your time researching best builds, and planning your next raid? You may be hard core if this is the case.

On the other hand if you spend several hours simply running through zones and appreciating the world around you, as well as the people, you may be considered casual. If I take a week to simply hang out in my house and decorate it, or sit around camp fires chatting with people, am I considered hard core because I spent 4 hours a night doing so?
  12. xShinji

xShinji New Cupcake

To me, hardcore players are the one who will spend lots of their into the game (on and off playing). They are also competitive player who want to be first/top of everything in the game.
  13. Allikes

Allikes New Cupcake

I think "hardcore" is different to every player depending on their life situation and play preference. When it comes to time invested "Raid" players seem to be more prone on gauging how "hardcore xxxpwnzor" they are by how much time they invest. While pvp players are more likely to deem how "hardcore xxxheadshotsnipez" they are by rank and k/d's per round ect. **if anyone of the "xxx" names are one of your pasts characters names it's purely chance and you might need to think about renaming.***

On the same subject hardcore to a father of 3 might be 3 hours a night while hardcore to a highschool kid during summer might be 18 hours a day. I think we need to move away from the term "hardcore" we are starting to lump MMO''s in that same realm as COD which is sad to me. Some of my longest play times was in SWG (Pre NGE) and I was dicking off for the most of it. I like most MMO players want to invest in my character and look back a year in at my accomplishments and just like in real life we can't help but compare to others, but just like in real life everyone has different situations.

We should encourage everyone to get involved with a guild of people that they enjoy playing with and enjoy the time they invest in the game and not compare time-sheets.

To sum up, if you play so much your not sure who's dog is in your house, you don't recognize your roomate and you are trying to find alternative ways to go to the bathroom to avoid missing playtime. If you offered a million dollars but you can't miss a raid to go pick up the check, then yes you are "hardcore". But then ask yourself who wants to be?

Let's all get our asses to Nexus and be players, good old mediocre players......... that last part could have been worded better.