1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How Many Servers?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by TuxedoMask, Dec 16, 2013.

1. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

The Moon, or Outerspace but sometimes Earth
    Hello,
    I am really interested in this game and it looks like they are being very cautious in not making the same mistakes other MMO's have made, so that's good.
    I am wondering if there is any information about how many servers will be available at launch (or even open beta) and how much volume each server can handle.

The biggest flaw for almost all new MMO's with a good following pre-launch is they aren't prepared for the amount of traffic the servers get. Swtor was the most recent that I can remember but other games like D3 weren't ready either.

What are the plans? The game looks fantastic and I will be buying it or pre-ordering it so when the servers open I can be there at launch. It'll be troubling if the servers won't let me log in or kick me off randomly due to player volume.

Thanks, any information would be appreciated.
    Lunacat likes this.
  2. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Welcome to WildStar Central. Here is a link to the Personal Introductions Forum. You are not required to post there but doing so is a good way to meet some of our friendliest members. Tell Kat I said hi.

There are currently two servers. They are located in Dallas, Texas and Frankfurt, Germany. I have no information on their capacity.
    Draxus likes this.
  3. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

Thanks for the quick response!

1 NA and 1 EU for beta, that makes sense for a closed beta. The gentlemen at Carbine Studios haven't mentioned publicly how many servers they are planning to add as they increase from closed to open beta?
  4. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Not to my knowledge.
  5. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Fun answer: over 9,000

Jerk answer: shut up jackass

Real answer: iunno
  6. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

The issue is, if you have too many servers then 3 months when the initial surge of people dies down, all the servers are dead. Then come the server merges which look bad for the game and dissuades new people from joining.
  7. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

If we are talking 3 months in much of why servers die down is because lack of end game content. When people reach max level, if there isn't a compelling reason to keep playing then people won't play.
  8. lusciifi

There havn't been any mmos other then wow and maybe eve with more server activity after 3 months then at launch. It would be silly to think that wildstar is going to be any different. Best case is a surge of activity at launch and after the initial decline, a slow growth in population.

Even if they didn't lose a single person, there will be far less activity after a few months. Many people play much more in the first week of launch then they ever will in any other week. Therefor if you have enough servers so there are zero queues at launch, the servers are still going to feel barren the next month.
  9. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

It's because of Content, not because of how many servers there are. I already gave you the reason why the 3 month server death happens, people get max level and breeze through whatever end-game content there is (or lack of) and then stop playing.
    SwTor is a prime example, they had a great launch but with little to no PvE content for Endgame and a PvP setup that was trivial at best, people stopped playing.
    You are saying that having too many servers contributes to the downfall of a mmo which isn't the case at all if you look at the facts of Why Mmos actually fail.

Everything you said was basically nonsense.
  10. lusciifi

Ill quote myself here

Livnthedream likes this.
  11. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

I'll quote myself as well.
  12. lusciifi

So you think people will continue to take time off work and play 40+ hours a week after the first month?
    Livnthedream likes this.
  13. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

you are not saying that people will be quitting, you are just saying they will log on for a shorter amount of time, so the server will "feel" less populated, even if there are the same amount of players still playing on the server, yes?
  14. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

40 hours a week? That's reserved for us hardcore players.
    During peak times however, if there is solid content and a good community then I could see (if the devs keep to their goals) very busy servers after a month.
  15. lusciifi

Most then just hardcore players play that much at launch. That's the whole point. On the other hand, i know a ton of hardcore players that only play 15-20 hours a week between content patches.
  16. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I think Wildstar has a lot of things to do at end game that will be compelling for players to stay logged in. You have "points" to still get in order to max out your AMP tree, you have housing items to collect for that "amazing" house, and you have players collecting entry gear for raiding or Pvp.

Depending on how much time those take the average player, those are very compelling things that would at least keep people on for a "medium" amount of time each week, it may not be launch busy, but it should still be moderately busy as opposed to feeling like a low pop server.
    I'd say other good reasons would be crafters, people attempting to farm for a credd card, and people farming to buy one or more of the mounts, and if you haven't seen the mount video yet, there are several really interesting ones from just vendors.
  17. lusciifi

Yes im saying that even under ideal conditions. You don't need the same bandwidth after 3 months as you need at launch.

I don't mind some queues and DC's in the first month at all if the server ends up feeling really busy a month later.
  18. TuxedoMask

TuxedoMask Cupcake

Have you played any good MMO's? Cause some of this stuff you are saying seems like you've only played really bad ones that fail after launch.

If the content is good, people will play. 40 hrs though, the average person doesn't play 40 hrs even at launch.
    It seems like what you consider an avg amount is actually a hardcore amount. 40hrs is a job, so if you are hoping for more Hardcore players, well the WS devs have said they want to appeal more towards the hardcore while not completely shunning casuals, this is actually the reverse of what the newer MMOs are doing and now even the granddaddy WoW is appealing more towards the casual and they have also seen a massive massive decline in subs since this started.
    I am hardcore, I do play around 40+ hrs but I know that there are only a small % that play like I do and from what I can gather, you play about the same.
    You shouldn't expect however, that the avg person plays like how we do.
    The balance in finding a game with stuff to do but then again doesn't shell out content so quickly that people haven't cleared the old content (or attempted) is what keep people interested.

This is why MMO's have been flopping left and right, it really doesn't have to do with the amount of servers after launch, as the by-product of a crappy game is lack of server population after a certain amount of time (2-3months).
  19. lusciifi

Ive played probably 15mmos over the last 5 years. Name one mmo that didn't do server merges within the first year. (that isn't wow)
  20. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake