1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How to be a Healthy Gamer

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Blankspace, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

That is why I put up my research supporting my article so that people could go find the at home workout exercises and pick a few out to try out themselves. I really hope that people enjoyed the work I put into this because having a healthy community in many different ways is really important to me! :inlove:
    Sarah Orlando likes this.
  2. Rush

Rush Cupcake

I have a few different routines I do for different gaming binges I go through.

If I am just playing normally, I usually just make sure I always have water next to my desk, and that I don't eat anything bad. I run 5 days a week and I work out 3 of those days too, so it's good enough for me.

If I am about to go into a huge 6-10 hour gaming frenzy (Looking at you Darksiders 2, Mass Effect, Halo 4) I get in a heavier workout than I do on a regular day, and I don't eat anything bad. I also don't drink anything other than water.
    B00TE and Blankspace like this.
  3. Jersaun Korris

Jersaun Korris Cupcake-About-Town

I can appreciate something like this seeing that I could lose some weight. I'm gonna put your post into practice actually, and see what it'll do for me.
    Blankspace likes this.
  4. B00TE

B00TE Cupcake-About-Town

If anyone is playing anything online that has a queue for matchmaking (League of Legends, CoD, Halo, SMITE , Dota 2 etc) try to do something active nearby for the duration of the wait. I like to do push-ups or sit-ups during these myself. Decent way to sneak in some activity.

Apologies if something like this was already mentioned.
    The Duck likes this.
  5. Blankspace

Let me know how things go Jersaun and if you need any tips/advice beyond this feel free to hit me up in my inbox ;)

While during streaming GW2 open beta weekends and gaming for 48+ hours without sleep I would regularly eat healthy food, and exercise when possible. People used to giggle but a few of my viewers started doing it themselves and have seen various results :)
  6. Mellow

Mellow Cupcake

http://www.geekdesk.com/

Cheaper alternative: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29806818/

There you go! Healthy gaming. Just make sure you look out of the window every 15 minutes or so to reduce eyestrain and your good to go.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...ive-sitting-cuts-life-expectancy-by-two-years

Also increases your life expectancy.

Aside from that..

Everything should be done in moderation. You can eat junk food, but in moderation. You should exercise, but in moderation. You can even smoke pot if that's what you want to do, but don't do to much. Live a little.
  7. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

Drink water, stay away from sugary drinks. Take a walk around the block, do some push ups and sit ups everyday, works for me anyways. :)
  8. Blankspace

I'm really glad that people are continuing to add to this article I wrote up. I'm pumped to see that people have input and anything you try to do that helps you be more healthy = awesome to me!
  9. Blankspace

People were talking about how to get ready for launch and I figured I'd bump this up before I posted a link over there ;)
  10. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Are these links hinting that people should stand at a desk or while gaming more often?

Sitting excessively or having something like a desk job also is horrible for your hip flexors, which contribute to lower back pain.
  11. Blankspace

I think that is the gist of those desks but I don't know much about the actual science behind them to be completely honest.
  12. The Duck

The Duck New Cupcake

I absolutely love this thread! I've seen some really good advice and hope to see more. I'm an older gamer, 43, that just realized I wasn't quite as in shape as I used to be. My immediate goal was to drop a little weight and just get healthier overall.

The number one thing I did was quit drinking soda. Most of my online friends drink 2+ a day. Cutting out those calories and adding in walks, some body weight exercises, push ups, sit ups, crunches, made a huge difference in my fitness progress. My body doesn't miss that sugar anymore and I feel a ton better. Just a small tip but if it helps one person as much as it helped me it was worth typing and reading, good luck all.
    Eluldor likes this.
  13. Skean

Skean Cupcake

Half way between hell and the state of confusion.
    nice post Blankspace, great advice. I'm not a power gamer, though I'm usually online for a few hours a night. I do need to do a better job of keeping active, not just my fingers...and while beer does have water, probably not as much as I need... :/
  14. Blankspace

A big part of my article was just to inform and encourage. Small changes can lead to big changes over time :)
  15. Tarrant

Tarrant New Cupcake

After several years with bad food(plenty of pizza+cola) I made the choice to change my way, I switched to Pepsi Max and started exercising more, first longer walks with my dog then did the couch 2 5K program while using Wii Fit and EA Active for the rest of my body. Understood somewhere that I had to make sure that I was eating healthier so switched to low-carb which suited me fine.

Now I'm doing the P90X program with good results and that helps me focus on the rest of my life.
  16. Denied-a Wildstar Guild

Denied-a Wildstar Guild Cupcake

As the real pvper I am, I also do IRL PvP :) - I train Muy-Thai and MMA 3-4 times a week + one day of cardio and high explosive training and I eat <REDACTED> food from time to time. I didnt like fighting sports in the past and I consider myself a rather friendly dude but the training is awesome and I highly recomend people regardless of size to join up, take that step because it will be worth it.
  17. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I don't know what evil sorcery has come upon you that you have to wait so long...

but for LoL quee's i have to wait 5-10 seconds (if no1 leaves so you go back again)....don't go tell me you can go out off your chair on the ground do a couple of sit-ups/push-ups and go back before the timer has run out (which is a few seconds only), cause i can't in only 5 seconds....
    Either you're inhumanly fast or you are just too unlucky.

For me those seconds are the time i can look out of my window (for your eye's) and turn around to fetch me some water, but then i already hear the big bong that i have to click ''accept''.

As for the loading times....well that's true, some can be excruciating long but some are over in a few seconds aswell.

With SMITE i generally got a bit more time, that i give you.

I just take a brief break after every single game in LOL/SMITE even if it was only a game in under 30min. Better that, then to rush something during a low waiting time.
  18. Xivra

Xivra New Cupcake

Wow, first forum i've seen for a game that didn't turn a fitness-related topic into a complete flame fest by some... choice individuals. Speaks volumes for the type of community, and in a good way.

For those (guys mainly) who have social anxieties and can't get themselves to go to a gym, I recommend getting dumbbells, or at least resistance bands for those on a lower budget. You can do plenty with them, and thats how I started working out before I enlisted. Didn't know anything about lifting/mass building/nutrition at the time, but there's plenty of online resources to get you started.

I think the idea of... getting your workout in during queues/auto travels is kind of silly, at least it sounds like it to me. Not that it wouldn't be more beneficial then doing *nothing* for someone who's fairly inactive, but it'd be wasted effort for the majority. A stretch or two to get the blood flowing, sure. Don't half-ace it though. If you want to work out, dedicate an hour or two to it.
    B00TE likes this.
  19. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Your not a true gamer until you say something like " AFK, Deoderant break " :p just kiddin. I totally agree on eating well and exercise for any lifestyle is very rewarding physically and mentally. So good health and happy gaming yall :)
  20. B00TE

B00TE Cupcake-About-Town

Was using it as an example, hence the etc, but since you asked I mainly played Dominion on League, which used to have (and still does, last I heard) really odd queue times. Sometimes short, sometimes stupid long. Couple that with never being online during prime time and the queue times got worse.

Even when I played normal's on SR, my queue's were never in a few seconds unless I was playing co-op. Most of the time, not always mind you, I had enough time to spin out of my chair and get a little activity in. I was always in the room when the queue popped, so I could hear it and hit 'accept' a little after it popped no problem.

This is the way to do it, but I'm someone who hates sitting still so being stuck waiting is time for activity in my eyes. Were we to get super in depth about it, yeah it's not something somebody could rely on to get fit, etc. Personally, I feel better when I can do something super quick whenever I see a chance to sneak it in. Wouldn't replace normal workouts at all.