1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Hybrid Classes?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Kay, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Kay

Kay Cupcake

I've been watching some of the videos and visited the website and a question recently dawned on me; are some/all of the classes more of a hybrid than an actual single class?

It started off with the Spellslinger. I was watching the Dev video where they show off some gameplay as the Spellslinger. They started off with more stereotypical 'archer' type moves as far as I could tell, before switching to 'more magic focused abilities'. This piqued my interest. A later visit to the website, I noticed that it stated that 'gun skills would be effected by finesse, and magic would be effected by insight'.

Is this info all right? Can a Spellslinger be specced to be more like the typical ranger or the spell caster at the player's whim? What of other classes? Also, is that thing about magic being effected by their insight stat true?

This game interests me and leaves me to wonder if WildStar is aiming to really do something different?
  2. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

i think their heal spells are affected by insight and the dps skills are finesse. all of them are either tank /dps or heal /dps. the tank or heals is support skills. dps is assult or whatever.
  3. LoweGearShift

LoweGearShift Cupcake

Each class gets to be DPS and some other support role. As someone who played Druids, Monks, and Paladins exclusively in WoW I am disappointed that there isn't a Jack-of-All class but the Engineer and the Medic are close enough in motifs to feel like I'm playing two sides of the "Tech Soldier" concept.
  4. Kay

Kay Cupcake

I know, that's what a lot of sources say, but on the website itself, if you go to classes and check the Spellslinger's resources, the statement says...

This is a copy-paste from the website itself. Is this wrong? Did the guys writing the website text mess up? Has it been revised or something? So confused! (Personally, I like the idea of magic being determined by a different stat than gun skills; gives more build variety to the charater IMO.)

But my real question is mostly this...

Besides just the more obvious DPS/CC/AoE things, can the characters be leveled in a more 'flavorful' manner? Certainly this would play into that to some extent, but I mean like, can a Spellslinger be built more like a gunslinger, or more like a mage, at the player's discretion?
  5. Kay

Kay Cupcake

This came to me when I watched a video for the Spellslinger from the streams on Youtube.

I had heard three different claims to how damage/healing works for this particular class; the website says Finesse effects physical attacks and Insight effects magical abilities, the streams said that finesse effects assault power and insight effects support, and then other sources say that finesse effects attack damage and insight effects healing. These all paint the same picture, but it leaves me to wonder about abilities like Dual Fire, which may do a combination of healing and damage? Will the damage aspect be effected by Finesse, or Insight? Will it be calculated between the two? What?
  6. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

I don't know but I wish they would call it something other than "finesse" because that sounds like something you put in your hair, not a stat that affects fire power. Sheeesh. lol
  7. Kay

Kay Cupcake

I sort of agree, but sort of not. Finesse is sort of like skill and maneuverability; that's fitting for the aspects of the Spellslinger that involve movement and more physical combat, but the magical aspects of hte class just seem to be coming along for the ride. But I'm picky like that.
  8. Dajova

Dajova New Cupcake

As for one that has played Enhancement Shaman ever since early TBC to late Cataclysm (you know what game) can safetly say that Medic is gonna be THE class for me (and probably others).
    As for one that has played Druid is probably wanting to play either Medic or Esper, not too certain that Spellslinger is hybrid enough for them.
    As for Paladin players, probably Esper or Engineer. Medic is too squishy in their eyes :)
    As other hybrid classes in other games, it's all up for the takings, i'd say. Everyone have their own personal taste in classes.
  9. coreymj78

Yeah, it just sounds like a shampoo. Maybe, I dunno, agility (well no, they want to be different), or maybe Acuteness, Adroitness, Alactrity, fleetness, or even spryness? ;)
  10. BisonBeeblebrox

BisonBeeblebrox Cupcake

I think they were trying to go for a "space western" type vocabulary. Y'ever hear a Hollywood cowboy say "adroitness"?

Didn't think so. ;)
  11. coreymj78

Well I ain't never here of one say "finesse" neither, partna.
  12. BisonBeeblebrox

BisonBeeblebrox Cupcake

Named?
    Wait, if we're talking about names, "Finesse" is closer to a hooker name.
    A space hooker named Finesse. Hmm.
  13. coreymj78

Sorry, fixed. I meant to say "say" not "named." But yeah ha ha, that could definitely be a space hooka. LOL