1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

I hear the Engineer has lower dps than other classes.

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Dasmordo, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Dasmordo

Dasmordo New Cupcake

Since they have heavy armor...So what does the Engineer bring to the group/raid/dungeon to make up for lower dps that a group would want them over another class? I'm curious because I'd like to play this class as my main as dps spec, but I don't want to get screwed because nobody wants em. I don't mind doing lower dps, but I'd like the class to be atleast useful aside from tanking.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  2. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

not true. IF they have lower dps it's not because of the heavy armor. they do have a DPS stance innate ability that ups their DPS.
  3. Quietus

Quietus Cupcake

That stance also reduces their damage resistance.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Kat didn't get the last memo....Engineers only join the raid to make the raid look cool!

99% less damage then anyone else, but 800% more coolness. It's their greatest asset to a teamfight!

[​IMG]
  5. Meatgrinder

Meatgrinder New Cupcake

If you take Bio Shell up to a Tier 8 upgrade, it can be used to maintain a 15% armor debuff on the boss. It is a unique debuff that the engineer provides maximizing raid damage. That alone should warrant at least 1 DPS engineer in every raid.
  6. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

I didn't realize that this was an issue. Is there any evidence that carbine has been taking steps to equalize engineer DPS with the other ranged DPSers? They should probably be the lowest ranged DPS, because the engineer will probably still have the highest survivability of the ranged DPS classes (I mean it's competing with clothies). But if they are so low that raid leaders will want to include less of them then there is an issue.

For optimal gear disbursement there should be between six and seven of each class present in a 40-man raid. I hope carbine is keeping this in mind. Otherwise it may be frustrating when we end up throwing away engineer drops, while many raid members are still trying to gear up.

I'm sure Bio Shell will proide a reason to have one DPS engineer alone (as you said). But that isn't really enough to maintain a healthy balance. (the actual expose amount is 15% according to WS-Base)
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I thought the ''99% less damage and 800% more coolness'' statement was enough to make people aware it was a joke :p

Also you mayby want 1 engineer tank aswell + for healing heavy boss fights you'll want the engineers for their healing reduction debuff + the bio-shell debuff can be changed so you can have 1 engineer take the reduce armor debuff while the other takes the reduce tech resistance debuff + also the shield disable that some can have might come in handy and what about the buff so they can give interupt armor to 4 teammates? Can come in handy in CC heavy fights. Personally I just love the recursive matrix ability.

All in all:
    The engineer class has enough spells that can help in a raid to get more then just 2 engineers in (tank/dps). Also their dps is not that much lower as others. Also please note that before launch their will be some final balancing patch/update i'm sure of it. So no worries.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    Kataryna likes this.
  8. Dasmordo

Dasmordo New Cupcake

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll stick with the class then.
  9. Cogburn

Cogburn Cupcake-About-Town

Damage? You don't need no stinkin damage! Become a PvP support Engineer and have a "blast" keeping your team alive, running masks, and holding points!
  10. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Something that needs to be noted is that at level 4 the Engineer has 2 Armor Interrupts, and one of those has the lowest cooldown in the game. This means you have the potential to create a MoO every encounter (Unless you are dealing with a MOB that has IA.), and if your up against a Prime you can generate 2 MoOs in an encounter (Again with no IA.) .

Creating a MoO can make a lot of difference to your DPS.
  11. Cogburn

I keep seeing this acronym around, but must have missed something because I have no clue what it means. What does MoO stand for? :confused:
  12. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

Moments of Opportunity: They occur when you interrupt an ability and the enemy's health-bar turns a purple color. You will also do increased damage during this time.
    Kataryna likes this.
  13. Cogburn

Ah yes, thank you. I knew about the vulnerability after an interrupt, just didn't realize that MoO was referencing that. :D
  14. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

This game relies so much on the player's control and decision making in combat that unless we're talking about standard raids (in which every dps is doing near-optimal damage), the dps variation between individuals far exceeds the class margin.

Now I remain doubtful whether if Engineers will necessarily have the lowest dps in the raid. I haven't raided, but I've been paying attention on Closed Beta raiders and their setup, I can't help but think that there are more optimal setups for dps. For example, a lot of people have been using electrocute, but while damage/volatility wise it's about equal after amps, dps wise it's certainly lower than mortar which is instant (at the expensive of harder to land). And if it is a single boss fight, Bolt Caster is simply superior. But all of that I'll have to test out and theorycraft after launch.

Just from my experience so far, Engineer is the most mobile ranged dps, as ALL your spells can be cast on the move. AND, aoe is an Engineer's forte. Even the spellslinger needs to stop to cast charged/rapid fire. With blowing innate on CD (the passive 35% is a given, the active is quite strong, which is why the CD is twice as long as other classes much like warriors) and equipping 7 damage skills, I do not think the Engineer's dps will be much lower than the esper/spellslinger. That being said, if a spellslinger or esper is REALLY on top of their game I can see them outshining nearly all other dps, this isn't really the case for the Engineer. Engineer is just very steady, you don't have to run in and out like stalkers/warriors/medics, you don't have to interupt casts to move out of harms' way like esper and spellslingers. I can definitely see them being better choices in certain combat scenarios.
    Last edited: May 2, 2014