1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

I'd like to take a second to talk about Boobs.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Imafrakkincylon, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honour

Honour Cupcake

At least it'd solve the issue of flying mounts.
    Joukehainen and WakeskaterX like this.
  2. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Your boob-fu is good but not good enough.

( . Y . )
    Afrotech and Wolvy like this.
  3. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

Boobies don't sit like that unless uncomfortably squished! D:
    Chomag likes this.
  4. Galosha

Galosha Cupcake

Year 2025. In our new expansion we add new playable race - Jellyfish!
    Dear ladies, dont be terrified of the possibility that you would be confused as male, we know a way out of this situation!
    Here it is.
    [​IMG]

And on more serious note, why Mechari, Draken and Granok need boobs for? they dont look like mammalia.
    Joukehainen and eselle8 like this.
  5. Trigger

Trigger Cupcake

So, this really doesn't have anything to do with realism and everything to do with variety. There wouldn't be a problem with 'the idealized body image of women' in Wildstar if every MMO, video game, comic book, and hollywood action blockbuster didn't -also- focus on 'women looking as attractive as possible.' Despite all the claims that these body types "aren't real" and that it's okay because they "aren't realistic", the staggering amount of times the female body is emphasized seems to have some strong silent implications that do prevent me from enjoying the fine cartoony style of this game.

Comparing the body image of say, superman to wonder woman is like comparing apples to oranges. Generally, but not all, most females I've seen on the internet want average sized to realistically buff men. The kind of men portrayed in games and comic books have the muscular figure of bodybuilders. 'Attractive' is not the aim so much as it is about looking imposing and badass. As an example, WoW players whined that male blood elves weren't 'manly' enough so they were buffed in the muscular department.
    Manliness is still male fanservice.

WS can have its great cartoony style. I just want variety please. And that includes buff females and scrawny males.

As they say "Variety is the spice of life."

And I want my female characters to look like this chick:

[​IMG]
  6. EpicBubble

EpicBubble Cupcake

The idea of sliders is a worthy cause but sometimes over customization just makes the character design weaker over all. Things like the space between the eyes Is meaning less for me where I just choose a preset I like change the hair maybe change the color and then I am off.

Take GW2 for example all those small changes you do to your characters face are barely seen in game by other people. But that's for the characters face. I do find sliders for the body (boobies and packages included) do help change the character. Making it a lot different to say WoW where they all have the exact same build.
  7. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

I'm convinced that god enchanted breasts with a spell that adversely affects the male prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain that regulates judgment, cognitive abilities etc. and the larger they are the more impaired we (men), become so with that said I'm going to defer my opinion to whatever solutions the ladies on this forum come up with. :)
  8. Honour

Honour Cupcake

I think you're getting a little close to going off the thread's topic there.
  9. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

Actually, this was what was mentioned a couple pages back, about how both genders are idealized, failing to grasp that with male characters they are not sexualized (because to most women bodybuilder bodies are gross), but represent an idealized power-fantasy male.

The women on the other hand are all very sexualized with big boobs and thin waistlines. If you were going for a power-fantays version then I'd create more muscular women with strong back and in cool looking armor.

I don't have a big problem with sexualization as long as it goes both ways or the female characters are given the option too look more badass/strong than just sexy.

As likely we won't get boob sliders very soon, I hope that I will find soon cool armor that'll visually tone down the breasts and play up the "RAWR I'M A KILLER" part.
    Seagrey and Trigger like this.
  10. Honour

Honour Cupcake

That's fine, but it doesn't have anything to do with what I was getting at in that quote.
  11. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

This is getting nowhere. You keep quoting people and saying: "I disagree, but I'm not goint to tell you why, tee-hee. Let's have a game where you guess what I meant!"

Do you wish to elaborate, perhaps?
  12. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

But at least the rich can afford the shrink to deal with them :p

The discussion about breast scaling has been up before, and people were not much into talking about it back then either except for jokingly. I tend to agree that Aurins does not seem like a race that would have large breast as a norm - I could see them having 4-6-8 breasts taken the animal inspiration if total realism in a made up race is what we are looking for - and who would want that :sneaky:

In the end it is less about realism and more about identity.

Perception of one self (or ones avatar) and how other people may look on one self, and if that is the way the player wants to be seen. People - who care at all about the looks of their alter gameego - want to be able to scale stuff that would otherwise make them feel a bit uncomfortable in their "own" skin, because they feel the look they choose is sending the wrong signals - but if it is the only choice they have, they can't choose at all.

Wether it is the eye gaze sex fantasy or the overmuscled bulky power fantasy a player wants to avoid, a choice of scaling in for instance breast size and gravity and muscle density can help a lot for people to find the perfect visual fit for their avatar.

That said, there is a huge difference between feeling like someone elses sex fantasy or ones own power fantasy. I saw a few people trying to make that connection to this discussion.
  13. Honour

Honour Cupcake

Honestly, no, not right now. I don't have enough time to fully elaborate on my stance in a way that won't get the thread locked so I've cut out the second line of my post in order to remove the notion of myself having a differing opinion.

The first part still stands however as I do feel Trigger's first paragraph goes close to what Yakzan asked the thread not to do.

And for the record, there's little more annoying and detrimental to a discussion than putting words into somebody else's mouth, along with the fact that I don't 'keep' quoting people, it was a singular quote.
  14. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Mechari don't "need" them, there's a lore reason they're there. It's so they can more easily infiltrate by appealing to the softer side if necessary, as guess what, 9 foot tall robots are scary enough, but if it looks feminine it's a lot more likely that people would be less intimidated by them. It also helps for their targets to relate to them better, giving them a feminine look. This is insurgency 101...

"Q: That sounds ominous. So you're a Mechari! I didn't realize they made robots quite so...shapely.

A: Rest assured, your reaction is perfectly normal. It merely confirms the effect of an appealing physique on those of diminished intelligence. Such as yourself." http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_wednesday_meet_the_mechari.php

Can't speak for Draken or Granok lore wise officially, but I'd imagine the Granok were made of some sort of "magic" type thing, and shaped themselves based on living humanoids around. Being that Granoks are made of rock, why would they even suggested to be bipedal, or have heads? There's much more pressing questions if you're wondering about Granok shape.

Here's another image for the boobs being high on a character's torso being stylized. If you look at this MALE Draken, you'll notice he has an extremely long waist (from his hip to the bottom of his ribcage is roughly equal distance as from the bottom of his ribcage to the top of his shoulder) which also makes his ribcage really really short. Usually the length of your waist is roughly half the height of your ribcage as a male. I would assume this is so they can make an exaggerated motion of the body's curve from left to right as they run or walk, also for the swim animation for the Draken in particular. Have you seen that animation? It's sweet! Am I going to bang on Carbine's door because I don't think you could fit a heart and lungs and other such organs within that ribcage in reality? Nope...

Here's the picture though:
    [​IMG]

Count those rib bones, there's probably only 5 or 6 there, instead of the traditional 12. (Just kidding you can't see the rib bones, but still... if you look at the actual ribcage length, there's no way this could have 12 of them.) So, if there's a slider for torso length, it probably fixes this issue of the boobs riding too high on the chest, otherwise chuck it up to the stylization of a sci-fi fantasy game. In other words, it's not just the women's torsos that look unrealistically short, it's all of them.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that what women find actually attractive in men is different from what men find attractive in women. You can blame it on Egypt and Rome if you want, due to their stylized artwork, such as chiseled jaw lines, and that perfect V shape based on the golden ratio.
    Apostate likes this.
  15. Onallion

Onallion New Cupcake

I never play female myself, but I support boob sliders. More choice can never hurt.
    Joukehainen and Sonntam like this.
  16. Corruptdevil

Corruptdevil Cupcake

17. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Alright, here is the point where I say "one more time and I lock!" but I won't say that because I find this to be an important area of discussion. However, it is one that should not be yet again derailed.

From this point on, I will be removing any mention from posts, or entire posts if it warrants it, that goes off topic to the whole social issue discussion rather than the real topic at hand, which I discussed in my last warning.

I'm not trying to be mean, but rather on the contrary, trying to keep this thread alive and constructive for as long as possible. Anything else leads to madness. So please keep to the topic, don't try yet again to twist it away from it. It is important and should not be shrouded by other topics. </Mod Monocle>
    Zeebo likes this.
  18. CriSPeH

CriSPeH Cupcake-About-Town

I would like to +1 this and fully agree with the assessment that the ladies should have the real say in how the female bodies should look.

I think the girls are getting a much stronger presence in the gaming world and RPG's should embrace this by allowing females to make characters in their own image or an image that they feel comfortable with rather than designing the bodies specifically to please the boys that like to play games as girls.

I think anyone would be very hard pressed to find a guy who wouldn't be perfectly happy with whatever boobies he is given to work with ;)

I would make the small suggestion of different body types instead of body sliders. I thought GW2 char customization was pretty damn good and it gave the option of variety without the downsides of the min-max sliders making characters look ridiculous! I am looking at you Aion and your ridiculous giants next to tiny oompa loompas.
    eselle8, Trahma, Sonntam and 2 others like this.
  19. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

As long as it's ok with the artists of the game it's ok by me. It's their hard work and effort after all and their view. You should feel lucky to be able to play in a fully envisioned virtual reality created by them. You get to see the way they wanted this fictional world to look, that's pretty cool in itself.
    Trahma likes this.
  20. Trahma

Trahma Cupcake

I will admit that it appears that is a point some people can forget (myself included at times), and it is one thing to respectfully give criticism, and another thing entirely to demand or expect change. In all honesty I am still pleasantly surprised that most posters have realized this and kept the discussion civil. I am even happier reading that almost everyone is in favor of more customization options regarding preferences... That is if the artists, developers, producers, etc. deem it worthwhile, and I personally hope they do.
    SniperCT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.