1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Instead of Spamming F for breaking out of stuns

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by azmundai, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

seems good for suggestion, yet combat is very fast and mobile... If you are getting stunned and have mobs on you and want to break out of a CC effect you want to do it fast and not have to worry about hitting the correct sequence to do it. Spamming 1 button is more then most games out there anyways. But it could be argued that a sequence pushed very fast could benefit those quick enough to do it. Some people are not very fast at that and in PvP will panic regardless, If they face a sequence of anti stun buttons then they may hesitate even more and It may become very frustrating for some players, as Carbine wants everyone to enjoy the game A lot of people will complain about getting killed because of a random button sequence they could not do fast enough.

Personally I think it's a good Idea and I love a challenge, but I know how people react to certain things. Sometimes even though it may seem too easy to mash 1 button.. At least its something and not just waiting for the CC to end.

I know people who would spaz out and hit the wrong buttons due to nerves or excitement in the heat of battle.
    Such a cool Idea though, not sure it would work for everyone but it's very interesting.
  2. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

What is to stop someone from making a macro that spams F on inhuman delay?
    I guess they could just not accept commands in succession at faster than x ms or something, such that this would not help you in any way.

That would take too long. If you made even the slightest mistake, and you would surely suffer full duration. It also makes this by far the most powerful CC. Also, its too hard for most people. We don't want to make the game so hard that it isn't fun.
  3. CRB_PChan

CRB_PChan Carbine Studios

Does no harm to post your ideas- you never know who might stumble on your thread.

TLDR: Thanks for the feedback, Azmundai.
    Ianpact, Ico and Kataryna like this.
  4. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Yes, I agree. Just went I first read it I thought it was a beta thing that might break NDA. I was totally off. Oh, and hello.
  5. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

Hum... We all play with a mouse I guess? How about a bubble or something that floats away from your character on the screen and you have to click it to get it back? Like your "consciousnesses" that you have to catch :p

Anyway, we do need something better than a blind spamming. Even if they put up a rule that the spam cannot be faster than 10ms, all people have to do is program a macro that does it every 11ms... The people with that macro would have a definite advantage in PVP...
  6. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

I disagree with having to press multiple buttons in order. I guess that makes me a baddy, but from the looks of it, stuns in this game are long if you don't break out of them, and in the heat of combat I might already be trying to frantically dodge something or use an ability, thus automatically failing the sequence.

Differentiation between good players and bad players is fine, but I worry that a system as the OP suggests would make this skill gap far too wide. We already have the differentiation when it comes to knowing which abilities to take, knowing which abilities to use when, knowing where to aim your abilities, positioning yourself correctly, dodging other people's abilities, etc. Do we really need to throw impeccable hand-eye coordination into that mix?
  7. FairyTailisBack

I agree with this, but I would like to add that it makes Stuns by far the strongest CC.

Disarm - roll to weapon
    Knocked down - roll
    Blind - You can still use your abilities.
    Disorient - Change movement direction keys
    Tether - Kill totem
    Stun - Spam F

Now, if Stun required a complex random sequence of numbers hit, which resets when you fail, then it would be leagues stronger than all the others.
  8. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

it doesn't even have to be a pass or fail thing for the entire sequence.

each one you get right could knock a fraction of seconds off of the time. So you could get one wrong and not get time added, and still be able to subtract more time if you get the next one right.
    I didn't say anything about reset on fail. it doesn't have to work like that to be random.
  9. CriSPeH

CriSPeH Cupcake-About-Town

sorry I don't agree and think you are all making a mountain out of a molehill.

Its supposed to just be a quick reaction to getting stunned, It is not supposed to be some complicated series of key presses.

Since there is no other information to prove otherwise I am assuming the "mash the F key" is a loose term that they used and it will be much more along the lines of hit X key a small number of times, so even if you were to set aside a dedicated macro key you wouldn't save yourself anything but a fraction of a second.

I am also assuming that there will be some sort of counter to breakout gameplay, something like limited uses, prevention skills and/or follow-up combo's. I doubt you will be able to breakout out of every stun thrown at you every single time.
  10. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

I think you may, breaking out of the stun seemed to take 1-1.5 seconds, whereas the stun bar itself was moving much, much slower. It seemed to me that stuns are balanced around you breaking out of them.
  11. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

It really should be press and hold only one key. You still get the reaction test, without the spam. It should also be a random key out of a small subset of keys (e.g. could be F, R, T, or G) to require a bit more awareness, and making it random and only giving credit when just that key is pressed prevents any stun macro from being viable.
  12. CriSPeH

CriSPeH Cupcake-About-Town

Think of it this way.
    If you have played GW2 than you know how quickly it takes to get every condition slapped on you by a small group. If you have not the answer is instantly.
    Unless they have some kind of limit to how many CC effects you can get at once, in PvP you will be Stun-Blinded-Disarmed-Confused-Tethered quite a bit by an organized team.
    It will be rare that you only get stunned so you will rarely only be mashing a single key.
    More likely you will be mashing a key while turning your camera blinded to try and see where your weapon just flew!
  13. FairyTailisBack

You didn't, ok. Then what happens? You miss and it you don't get another try?

It doesn't even matter, because you haven't addressed the core issue. Your idea makes breaking out of stuns way way way way harder than the other CCs. Besides, this isn't something that is supposed to be extremely challenging.
  14. azmundai

good points though honestly, if what they say about not wanting us to be standing around with an uncontrolled character is a priority, they will make it so you only have 1 of these breakable conditions on you at a time. this has the added bonus of making the application of such conditions more situational which I honestly think is much needed as well. on the other hand a well organized group will easily adjust.

regardless, since we have no idea how that works as of yet, I still think it's a better solution .. for what that's worth. spamming one button just seems too simple. rolling out of knockdown does too, but .. that could also require a combination.

I think was thinking about it earlier a bit more and I guess what would be cool is the gw2 downed state kind of thing. I mean I really didn't like the downed state, but it seems to fit here a little better. in theory at least.
  15. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

Rolling out of knockdowns is great, because it adds more skill to using dodge, as you can't leave yourself without a dodge charge or you are taking the full knockdown.

The downed state in GW2 is a completely different thing, and beyond what is necessary for a breakout mechanic for stuns.
  16. Markerlight

Markerlight New Cupcake

My suggestion for breaking stuns is, instead of mashing the F key (it's really not that bad, just a bit plain) is to have a pop-up for a mouse gesture that would be randomized. Like when you unlock a phone, only random instead of the same sequence. And you'd have to connect the dots (numbers, icons, whatever).
    It's not that difficult to do and it's not boring and samey all the time.

Do it, Carbine. :)
  17. azmundai

ok done arguing with trolls that dont even read posts.
  18. FairyTailisBack

No way, you should have to solve an integral in order to break a stun. Otherwise every noob and his grandma will be breaking out.
  19. FairyTailisBack

I am assuming you are talking to me. Which I find remarkably hilarious, because you completely ignored my point proving why your idea doesn't work.

It doesn't even matter, because you haven't addressed the core issue. Your idea makes breaking out of stuns way way way way harder than the other CCs. Besides, this isn't something that is supposed to be extremely challenging.

Though, I actually think you did read, but you have no rebuttal. So, you threw out a red herring, and commenced a forum temper tantrum.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but bad ideas are bad.
  20. azmundai

you don't read, you just argue.

it's not way way way way harder, or even just way harder than trying to move with RANDOMLY assigned movement keys, or trying to cast with 90% of your screen black.

I'm done arguing with people who feel it is their need to prove something on the interwebz. welcome to ignore.