1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Interesting read on the North American gaming audience

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by starspun, Aug 13, 2012.

1. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ers-need-to-know-about-american-online-gamers

What I get from this is that you North Americans are at fault for all the easy-mode gaming we're presented with today. Fie! Fie, I tell you!

But really, it's an interesting article. The bit about "you do not fail in class" especially so - to me that just seems like it will encourage mediocrity. Failure, in my mind at least, will drive a person to do better and improve their skills or knowledge or what have you.

The bit about history is a little saddening. Personally I love it, real or fictional (even though my retention of knowledge on either is dreadful), so the last point basically reading "don't even bother" is disappointing.

Anyway! Your thoughts on this! Let's hear 'em!
  2. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Interesting read.

I would say he is spot on. He probably knows Americans better than Americans unfortunately. Things have really been dumbed down over the years. Sad really, instead of trying to do better there is more of an entitlement mentality.
  3. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

For me it all depends on the topic. Can you fail at making a drawing or art in general? I do no believe that. Can you fail at solving a math problem? Yes, you can. To quote from Wikipedia: "Failure can be differentially perceived from the viewpoints of the evaluators."

The history part shows me what 'we' say a lot of times. The people in the US think their country is the world. It's not surprising that they think that at all, if you read why that is. They don't teach that kind of knowledge there. It's not the people that fail, but the school system.

To go even further, I don't think it is a problem that exists in the US alone. If I compare my education to that of my nephew I get really disappointed. It's not my nephew's fault that he doesn't know things I find basic knowledge. It's not even the teachers fault. It's the government that don't want to invest in proper education anymore and limits the amount spend on that every year. But I get why that is, stupid people can't complain. It's sickening.

But to not drift away from the actual topic, all this has it's effect on every aspect of life. School, science, health and gaming too. By not teaching and improving constantly we are destroying everything.
  4. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Not all of us yankees think the world revolves around them. I know who Stalin was, unfortunately my two graduated daughters probably don't. (other than he was the leader of Russia at some point)

History class in the United States is being intentionally dumbed down. They don't want the kids to know that some of the stuff going on now has parallels in the past. It allows them to more easily mold their opinions on current events. (I know tin foil hat time:alien:)

He's right people in the United States do focus way to much on the individual. It has it's good and bad sides. On the one hand everyone is important and has the ability to contribute something meaningful. On the other hand everyone is important and therefor in their minds to important for everyone else. This of course is a generalization.

I started to play Tera because of what this guy said about gaming. I was tired of the hold my hand and spoon feed me game play.
    Play it... You will see exactly what I mean. In the Korean version the max lvl is 58. In the European version it is 60. There is no comparison between the skill required to get to 58 and the skill required to get to 60. To be more clear after I got to 58 getting to 60 was like playing Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

I couldn't agree more.
  5. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I think not letting Americans fail in school is doing them a disservice. Life is hard, the faster you learn that the better off you are.

I had to look up Steve-O.
  6. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Thought this one was appropriate.

[​IMG]
  7. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

can I be an honorary non-American then? :p
  8. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Hey Jarnod, Enjoying your Haiku swag yet?
  9. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Not yet... I don't know if I'll ever take off that hat... I'm very excited! :D