1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Invent a Racial Holiday!

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Domi Dayglow, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

We know that the game will have holidays. Some of the information can be found here: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/a_time_for_celebration.php

So the Dominion have Foundation Day and Exiles have Starfall both of which are kind of like 4th of July in the United States. Then there's Shade's Eve which is like Halloween.

So what about ideas for Racial-Specific holidays for each race? What would you think up?

I could see the Aurins having a memorial-day type of holiday remembering the loss of their home world.

I can imagine the Granok having a St. Patrick's day celebration of when they drove the Dominion from their planet.

The Draken's holiday might be a valentine's day kind of thing when to win the attention of a made they take the heads of their enemies and carve them into creative little shapes of hearts.

Maybe the Mechari could have a holiday celebrating when the Eldan brought them out of beta testing.
    UKcheese, Sonntam and Apostate like this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Draken: Bloodfest (Carnivorious Festival, with Aurin-popsickles, Granok walk-ways, Human chewing bones etc.)

Cassian: Luminated Week (to celebrate the Luminai's exsistence in the galaxy)

Chua: Invention fair (well this should explain itself, but imagine it with alot of ''BOEM's'' and ''AAHH's'')

Mechari: 1110000101010-XYZ (to celebrate the first Mechari created by the Eldan)
    Bullroarer and ruff_ethereal like this.
  3. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

Illumination.

A Night Time festival in which citizens from across the social spectrum become "Luminai" for an evening. The cities and homes of the worlds are festooned in an array of colorful, but dim, lights that mirror the twinkling stars in the sky.

The revelers, children and young adults, wear light-bands, glow in the dark paint, or carry torches and lanterns to represent the illuminated Luminai searching the universe. Different "Races" and "Worlds" are represented by combinations of colored lights or glowing sigils on the windows of houses. The children arrive at the door to these houses and ask for a minor tribute, in the form of Candy or other treats.

And in exchange they deliver small booklets and papers which represent unification and treaties and education being gifted to the natives of the worlds they visit. Each Booklet or paper is written by the child in the week leading up to the night of Illumination. And they contain a short story, parable, or historic report of a major event in the Dominion's history chosen by the child.

At the end of the celebration, which lasts until the earliest hours of morning, the adults come out and light paper lanterns, decorated as rocket ships or other starfaring vessels and allow them to rise up into the sky, to be accompanied by fireworks displays in most prefectures. The lanterns represent the natives of the "Houseplanet" creating their own starships and traversing the stars as the dawn approaches to illuminate all. The fireworks to show that even though chaos and war exists, beauty can still be found in it, and that all can eventually rise above it.

Both the Dominion and the Exiles follow along with this holiday. The difference being what the final act represents. For the Exiles it represents leaving their homes during violence in the night sky to escape from the booklets, which are often Dominion-Styled propaganda pieces or Resistance letters with secret messages and codes among Exile children!

-Rachel-
    Sonntam and ruff_ethereal like this.
  4. Katu_Kath

Katu_Kath Robot Cupcake

That one day our world got destroyed
    An Aurin holiday.
    Menegoth, Daynejah and Sonntam like this.
  5. Sweetloaf

Sweetloaf Cupcake

Dia del borracho! Day of the Drunkard; an Exile holiday. Everyone gets hammered. The end.
    Sonntam and ruff_ethereal like this.
  6. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

I feel like I'm the only one who is really trying with this...

-Rachel-
    UKcheese likes this.
  7. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

TEARS AND FEELS! Wow, this was awesome and very well done. I love the symbolism and the "booklet" trade for candy and sweets, like they're spreading the Eldan's "greatness" and are receiving "tributes" from the "enlightened ones." (DOUBLE QUOTE ABUSE, YAY!)

The distinction between Exile and Dominion celebrations was perfect. I was wondering why the Exiles would celebrate it, but that last part made me understand.

Thank you.
  8. ruff_ethereal

Moonflower Festival

An Aurin festival celebrating the night, and the mysterious moonflowers that only ever seem to bloom then. Festivities are conducted in almost pitch-black darkness, save for a few glowstones at booths and mushrooms along the paths to prevent any unfortunate accidents in the getting-there.

(Moonflowers are unfortunately very sensitive to artificial and/or strong lights shortly before, during, and especially after they bloom.)

It's the usual fare of food and games, only with a different twist: you're almost if not totally blind. Rely not on your sight but your sense of hearing and smell; find food not from attractive displays but heavenly aromas; dance with total strangers to music and laughter that comes from everywhere and anywhere at once.

At the end, everyone gathers round and just watches as the whole fair is enveloped in the ethereal glow of the moonflowers.

They only last for that night, and that night only, but it is worth it.

While moonflowers bloom at a rate of once a month, the sun fried husks of the previous generation spreading to other lands, the festival is a twice a year thing; one lively one to celebrate spring, the other a more somber occasion to celebrate winter.

(Of course, this is assuming it isn't spring all the time on Arboria...)
  9. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

I love this.

The bloodfeast seems like an every day sort of thing, still love the little extra bits, aurin pop sickles!

Actually I think some kind of twisted Draken take on Valentines day would be perfect, lots of sappy romance, red colored things... like blood... and real hearts... and stuff... sounds like a blast. "Hunt down a mate"
    Daynejah likes this.
  10. ruff_ethereal

There could actually be a "mating" season for Draken, traditionally the time around some of the relatively vicious predators of Mikros wake up from aestivation (warm weather hibernation) good and hungry. Whoever gets the most "trophies" is free to offer them to the ladies and gents of his or her choice.

The real fun comes later in the night when you find out if you can survive to see the next day! Bonus points if your partner/s is/are impressed enough to stay.
  11. Domi Dayglow

Draken are reptilianish. I could see them having a mating season where they try to win their true love by bringing their mate a heart. A real heart. The biggest heart they could find! From the biggest beast they could find! Such a wonderful holiday for them. Of course they would want to share it with the rest of the Dominion.

An Exile race needs a version of Valentine's Day too. Maybe something involving the Granoks?
    Revon, ruff_ethereal and Sonntam like this.
  12. Anlath

Anlath UK/EU Community Manager for WildStar

Awesome thread!

Have to say I love the idea of Draken Valentines Day as well!

~M
    Ianpact and Bullroarer like this.
  13. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

Supremacy Day - Cassian - The day when we acknowledge that the Dominion (although it's more of a Cassian holiday but for the sake of the other races they've opened it up more) is the greatest in the galaxy.
    Bullroarer likes this.
  14. Bullroarer

Bullroarer New Cupcake

I can see the human exiles celebrating a Freedom (think space 4th July) type celebration. I can also see it, and I hate to poke fun from elsewhere, 'Murica type festivities. Fireworks, fried foods and firearms. Yee Haw!
  15. Bullroarer

Bullroarer New Cupcake

A Valentines Grand Hunt sounds like a marvelous Draken holidays. Blood, hunting and a pinch of food Ol' fashioned romance.
  16. Domi Dayglow

Okay what if every race had a version of Valentine's day? What's this leave for the other races to do?
  17. Hoody

Hoody Cupcake-About-Town

Chua Punting Day!... pretty self explanatory...
    Rundo, Skippy and Bullroarer like this.
  18. Bullroarer

Bullroarer New Cupcake

Mordesh Infection Day...a somber occasion in remembrance of when things where less Space-Zombeish.
    Daynejah likes this.
  19. Sylph

Sylph Cupcake

Don't think I have to invent one! :D I feel like the Aurin would be all over Arbor Day!

In all seriousness to the post...

Though it wouldn't exist yet, I'm sure a holiday will be created on the day of - and future anniversaries of Myala Everstar's return to Arboria to save the rest of her people. Though I question a warm welcoming reception of her as over time history may be misconstrued to say she abandoned them as oppose to the actuality that not everyone could've been saved when she was rescued herself. Of course, for the sake of this thread I'm way overthinking things!
    Bullroarer likes this.
  20. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

I got 2 ideas for Draken holdays
    Ancestor day- where the different clans of the Draken pay respects to their clans ancestors. Out of respect for them the whole clan gets together and starts a friendly tournament of fighting. No challenges to the clan lord are permitted on this day. After the tournament is over the current clan lord starts a ceremonial fire in which each person of the clan adds a log to the fire with the winner of the tournament adding the first log after the clan lord.

Day of the hunted- this holiday is made to show respect for the prey that the Draken hunt over the centuries. So on this day they don't hunt any prey or kill anything except in self defense.