1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Is LFD on its way out?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by John, May 19, 2013.

1. John

John "That" Cupcake

A better geared player will get picked first...yes of course. This does not stop other players from forming groups however. Its not like there is one group being formed and if you aren't picked then you go home. Lots of groups will be formed. Some will have all epic players, some will not.

Milamilou likes this.
  2. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

If you noticed, the games I listed earlier in the list that weren't mmo's didn't originally have matchmaking. Matchmaking has been a tool created since online started becoming more frequent on the consoles and just kept growing. It eventually got to PC gaming because of PC ports and people used it... used it much more than the traditional server browsers or I.P. Address's.

Things change over time, and as much as everyone hates it, Matchmaking is the new thing right now (Despite the protests)... but it doesn't 100% suite the needs of the die-hard players that want something more in their MMO's.

...It's why they added a 'my-server only' checkbox because Carbine even understands that there are flaws with this system and I think they themselves want us to hangout everywhere in their world and not just some city waiting for Queue's... This won't fix the problem, but at the very least you know the people you're playing with are on your server and you can make lasting impressions.

Just because a game isn't an MMO, doesn't mean an MMO can't take from them (or vice-versa... have you played Xenoblade Chronicles? Damn game is a single player MMO...)... not matter how good or bad the mechanic may be.

3. McSteezy

McSteezy Cupcake

WoW at one time had difficult LFD content. I think it was around the beginning of WotLK, the Heroic level 80 dungeons that required a certain GS were quite challenging (compared to other LFD content that is). As a healer, I remember having to heal my ass off and if you didn't have a group who knew what they were doing... it was gonna be a long run.

Narrack likes this.
  4. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

Lotro added an LFD/LFS(skirmish) finder at some point. I don't know if it negatively impacted things or not.

5. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

I can't really say but the fact you literally cannot enter instances without using the tool (Going to the portal opens the tool) drives me nuts. I just know from my experience with me and my friends was that the tool itself was mostly ignored in terms of matchmaking. People still used GlobalLFF or zone chats to organize groups, when leveling (At current expansion) and at the time of when I was at the end-game (Mirkwood/Shortly after f2p launch.) In essence, all it did was remove travel to the instances, though at the same time they split instances into wings as well. Overall, it was not a desirable change and helped drive me and my friends from the game we played for years. To note: This is going off my experience on Laurelin, around the introduction of the tool and shortly after the launch of the latest expansion. How it is now, or was, or on any other servers, or even on the forums, I have no idea.

6. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

Man, that sucks D:

7. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

17 pages in and you're still misrepresenting this announcement. Your thread title reads "Is LFD on its way out?", and the answer is clearly still 'No'.

Blizzard did not at any point say that LFD was a bad idea, or that it was going anywhere. The announcement is regarding an additional tier of challenging 5 man content that is aimed at higher skilled groups, and is not found on the LFD queue. It does not replace the LFD content, it supplements it. This is no different to their existing raid content, which cannot be queued for the exact same reason.

As I stated at the start, Blizzard have the luxury of offering these dungeons because of the huge amount of content they already have for casual and solo players to do. Their existing LFD options allow them to offer a harder tier of dungeon aimed at a minority of their players, because they've already got everybody else covered.

The suggestion that your thread title makes, that LFDs are going somewhere, is ridiculous and is not in any way implied by the statements you have quoted.

SiegaPlays likes this.
  8. PatriotBob

PatriotBob Cupcake

I see to complaints here about match making (LFD).
    1) It requires content to be easier so the 5 mouth breathers can tackle it reliably.
    2) It takes away from the games social aspect. Just chill and wait for the queue to pop.

To be honest these aren't problems with match making.
    1) You choose to balance for 5 mouth breathers. There's nothing that prevent the dungeon from being tuned for premades, but still providing a match making tool. It just mean the scrubs will wipe more and I smile.
    2) This is a legitimate concern. But lets look at WoW and rewind way back to before LFD tools. It was stand in town and spam chat. That kinda sucked. Then between that and the current system we got these stones outside of dungeons where the party would gather, and summon some straggler if need be. That's more the speed LFD would need to be. Tie it to something physical in world and preferably not in town. That will incentivize travel, planning and God forbid player interaction.

BonusStage likes this.
  9. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

N.B I'm in not way against LFD I use it alot when I'm alting I usually do guild runs on my main. I'm just pointing out what happened in WoW. LFR is a joke.
    This is a 'you give them an inch you take a mile' situation.
    You give the casual mouth breathers the illusion they can complete content in a PUG and they will cry until you make it so.
    It happened in WoW with both LFD and LFR; In Wrath heroics gradually became a joke, In Cata Blizz promised a return to 'heroic' heroics as predicted by just about everyone casual tears flowed through the streets that they couldn't get their welfare epics and they were nerfed into face rolls in a week.
    Same thing happened in LFR; Blizz made the system to let casuals see raids which is a noble intention, but now that casuals think they can raid because of LFR and Blizz' twitter is clogged to all hell with whingers ask for normals (normals >.>) to be nerfed because 'they're too hard for my casual guild'.

10. John

John "That" Cupcake

I think you are misrepresenting my point: LFD and hard content do not go well together. If you are Blizzard and your only goal is to throw 5 random people together so they can complete content that requires zero skill or teamwork, then LFD is amazing. If you are Carbine claiming that you want challenging dungeons, I don't think LFD is the best option. The quotes from Blizzard very clearly support that notion.

11. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

Perhaps we should take it as an indication that the 5-man content in this game likely wont be very hard?

12. John

John "That" Cupcake

That would be contrary to what Carbine has stated, but I think you will end up being right if they keep the LFD tool.

13. Drasas

It's not going anywhere, and I lament it. I hate LFG I think it's a crutch for lazy people and allows people to sit in a safe zone queuing up and ignoring the world at large. It's also what this annoying generation has gotten used to and frankly we're stuck with it. Expect 5-man content to be easy OR expect the content to get nerfed dramatically when the whining begins at launch.

John and Chuk like this.
  14. Level9Zubat

Level9Zubat Cupcake

I personally hate the LFD addon to WoW as I feel it was the biggest force responsible for killing the "server community" feel. People don't have any motivation to be nice to each other in groups, or even talk, when they'll never see those group of strangers again. This leads to ninja looting, insulting comments, and general douche-baggery.

John and Chuk like this.
  15. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Really John, you put too much stock in GC and blue quotes, they have been flip flopping since Wrath and you shouldn't take what they say as gospel.

I expect neither one, especially from a Dev that promotes hard content and back to the old days. I expect them to own up to that, and to tell the whiners to shove it.

SiegaPlays likes this.
  16. Drasas

Convicted, I wish that were the case. LFG is writing on the wall for easy 5-man content.

17. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

I don't actually recall the carbine devs ever explicitly stating that 5mans would be TBC like death marches, only that 40mans would be for the hardcore. That doesn't explicitly mean all other group content will be hardcore.

I also think it's still wise to look as history in this case which I covered quite explicitly in my previous post.

18. Level9Zubat

Level9Zubat Cupcake

Time will tell, and they've already stated before that if it's too hard to get a group for something, well, not everybody was ment to see everything. However this was in regards to their 40 man raid content.

19. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

No, they have said a few times, including the latest video I think with Frost? where he said raids, dungeons, solo, all hard.

Gaf also said that they intend to train people to be raiders, in reference to all those things being hard. You start the game that way, and they sink or swim.

20. Level9Zubat

Level9Zubat Cupcake

Which is exactly what WoW did way back when it started in it's "Golden Years". Raids and heck even Dungeons were hard, and people wiped constantly to figure out what they were doing wrong.

Raids (and even some dungeons) could take hours and nobody could faceroll anything. You had to work for your gear and work for the boss fights. And you know what? The game was more fun when you had to actually work your butt off for something. Your gear feels more special when you actually have to put effort into acquiring it (and no, hitting "join queue" and clicking one button for 15 minutes to be presented with a Purple doesn't count as "effort").

Here's to the hope they make things hard and keep them that way! Challenges are what makes games fun!

Chuk and John like this.