1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Is LFD on its way out?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by John, May 19, 2013.

1. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

I might be wrong about this, but I read or heard somewhere that you could limit the LFD tool to your server.
  2. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

That is confirmed yes and it's something I fully intend to make use of on my alts.
  3. mysticjbyrd

THE WILDSTAR SOLUTION
    It's clear that there are different opinions on this matter, so today it was refreshing to see that Carbine has listened to player concerns and announced that players will have the option to disable cross-server functionality in the LFG tool. Upon selecting this option, players will only be grouped with players on their own server. Now, this will increase wait times for dungeons, but to players that choose it - they don't mind the wait.
    http://www.wildstarfans.net/2013/04/how-wildstar-looking-for-group-tool.html
  4. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

From the last interview with Mike, he stated that dungeons will not be easier for LFD and LFD is solely a tool for matchmaking a group. If a player is good that you group with, you're able to friend them. There will be a ton of failure and from their comments so far, they seem fine with that. They'll have different difficulties for content so if it seems you cannot handle heroics, normal mode is for you. Heroics will be there once you feel you have progressed to that level.
  5. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

"Looking For" tools are just fine and a helpful utility in a game, especially if limited to a single server. At least the ones that only help you find people to invite, rather than thrust you all together randomly.

However, the aforementioned randomly-generated groups, and particularly those that pull from a large number of servers, is the bane of a healthy community. You'll never see these people again most likely, so they're free to do and say whatever they like without consequence.

It's a sad fact of reality: People need consequences in order to act like human beings. Without any, they turn into complete and utter arseholes and the entire community suffers as a result.
  6. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

The way its been stated is there are only heroics at level cap, all the normal mode dungeons are from 1-cap.
  7. John

John "That" Cupcake

Not quite. The random guy on your server has his reputation at stake, and thus a much greater incentive to play well and stay committed to the group.

There is a big difference between group finder tools, and an automated cross-server matchmaker.

Giving players tools to form groups and communities is a good thing. LFD doing all the matchmaking work for them and removing the possibility of future friendships due to the cross-realm aspect, and in the process removing player accountability leading to easy content...that is the problem.
    Oconnell, Chuk, Milamilou and 2 others like this.
  8. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

I see which interview you re talking about but i can't find it anywhere :( A link would brighten my day :D
  9. Pejo

Pejo Cupcake-About-Town

Fishsticks likes this.
  10. mysticjbyrd

What reputation? A server consists of thousands and thousands of random people.
    This is the most exaggerated thing in the MMO genre. Unless you are a great player or the scum of the earth, then people probably won't recognize your name.

That is like saying going into one town and being rude to one small group of people will get the whole town to hate you. People deal with jerks all the time, so unless you do something drastic like start shooting people, they aren't going to bother to remember you.
  11. John

John "That" Cupcake

Word travels quickly, particularly about bad and rude players, which is why you want to make sure you do not end up labeled as such.

You're not going to personally know 5000 people on your server, but you will know the 50 bad apples to not group with, which is all that matters. The fear of being added to the bad apples list helps keep people in line.
    Livnthedream and Milamilou like this.
  12. mysticjbyrd

Have you kicked people out for that? I know I haven't.

I recall one occasion when we as a group were warned that someone was a ninja, but we didn't believe it, and then he ninja'd stuff from the last boss. The point is reps don't matter. That guy still ninja'd off us, despite the fact we were warned. We had not experience it ourselves, and we didn't believe the guy.
  13. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Yes I have, though generally after some sort of poor behavior. For "ninja's" especially there is so much misscalling on that its impossible to to judge on that alone. The whole point of reputation is that it builds over time. You apparently did not learn that lesson.
  14. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Fixed it for you...
    Oconnell, Chuk and Milamilou like this.
  15. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

Disagree. Maybe in 2004 when communities where tight-knit and only a few hundred thousand people total - but in today's games with the player and server populations, I doubt most people will know someone is on the "naughty" list unless they've personally interacted with that person before.

Half the time someone is being a <REDACTED> head in a group you don't even realize it (maybe hes a garbage DPS, but you finish the run anyway so you don't even notice how useless he was) or they only act that way once or twice so theres no real reputation established.

In any case, I find that most people barely recognize guild names, let alone individual player names. They don't worry about a ninja looter someone is QQ'ing about in chat. "DONT GROUP WITH TIM, HES A DICK!" probably just gets scrolled past like most other chat spam
    Apostate likes this.
  16. mysticjbyrd

Word of mouth is indeed good advertising in the gaming industry. But whose word of mouth are you listening to? The 1% are indeed vocal, but they are still quite small compared to the other 99%. Furthermore, players perspective of any game varies drastically, even amongst the 1%.

Finally, and the biggest flaw in your argument is that advertising is primarily meant to attract new consumers, not keep the current ones.
  17. Ark

Ark Cupcake-About-Town

i find that people who over generalise kill off their own argument. Claiming to know that MOST people do not notice guild names is a pretty large step from "i dont notice guild names"

We went through a stage of pugging a lot, and can tell you right now that if you play a game for long enough, and play on the same server for long enough, you absolutely will get to know players and guilds. Although there are always exceptions to the rule, i find guilds usually atract like minded people, so if a guild has a general reputation as being unpolite, rude, ninjas, poor players etc, i will actively avoid them and yes, very often, refuse them entry into the run. On the flip side, a player from one of the guilds known for having great players and being server first material sometimes ask to come, and i will always warn them that it is progression for us.

if we have an unknown player in the grp, it is always master looter, and if someone is not performing we MIGHT kick him, but if someone is acting like a complete tool i abolsutely will kick them, and very quickly too.

so, TLDR, some people might not pay any attention to guild names / player names, but some of us absolutely do.
    Oconnell, Witless and John like this.
  18. Jefferson

Jefferson New Cupcake

Everyone's always focused on negative reinforcement, the stick, as it were. In my experiences pre-cross-server-LFG, the carrot was always more motivating. I met a lot of good players who ended up on the friends list, and when looking for a group they could six degrees of Kevin Bacon me someone worth grouping with even when they were busy.
    Witless likes this.
  19. John

John "That" Cupcake

This is not an example of reputation not mattering, its more a case of you ignoring someone's reputation when you should not have.
  20. WoodGoat

WoodGoat Cupcake

The lack of consequences isn't the only reason. Cross-server LFD also removes the positive aspects of grouping with people from your server like networking, which is extremely important for a healthy server community.

The huge server communities and giant networks as a result of all of the "inconveniences" of WoW were a huge part of why the game became so big.

From a PvP perspective LFG (or in World of Warcraft's case, cross-server battlegrounds) were fine because they drew from a much smaller "dedicated" playerbase and as a result alliances and rivalries, be they between allies competing for the top score or members of the opposing team were commonplace.

How the Wildstar devs decide to implement LFG is going to be crucial to the games staying power.
    Witless likes this.