1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Is there a certain path that synergizes best with being a healer?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by SilentJ, Apr 22, 2014.

1. SilentJ

SilentJ Cupcake

Title says it all. I'm going to be a healer (Spellslinger), and have been wondering what path I should go with. From what I know about the system it seems like some of the paths might have perks that affect combat. If that's the case I'd like to go with whatever synergizes best with healing. I haven't really had time with the game so it'd be helpful if someone more informed could assist.
  2. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Most all of the classes have some way to effect time in combat. It's just done in different ways. I feel that the scientist and settler paths have the most to offer someone who's looking for a path that will help make their job as a healer easier.

To give you an example, let's take the Settler. The settler is able to build what amounts to as buff stations which are mostly found near settlements. These stations provide a wide range of buffs to anyone who passes by to use them. Such as bonuses to shields, damage resistance, dodging ability, combat speed, traveling speed, and so on. These buffs usually last a fairly long time. Anything from fifteen minutes to an hour depending on the type of station. There are also settler nodes in the field. A settle can setup a node that encompasses a large area of about a 30m circle. Inside the circle characters get a combat health heal-over-time bonus or an experience bonus for anything defeated inside the circle.

Let's look at scientists. Scientists can scan many things in the world with their scanbot. Scanning a certain type of plant triggers a healing circle around that plant. Scanning a glowing rock causes it to sprout little fireflies that provide a dodge bonus and so on.

The key difference between Settler and Scientist buffs? Settlers can pick and choose which buff station they want to make. Their buffs last much longer (it's very unusual for a scientist buff to last more than a minute. Most are much less than 20 seconds.) The downside is a settler's nodes are clustered at settlements and much rarer far from them. A scientist Can scan lots of things and most of their stuff will be far from settlements.

If I were about to go to a raid or adventure or dungeon I would go to a settlement and look for settler buff stations. I would activate as many as I could. Those buffs will not last the entire length of the raid or dungeon or whatever and I will lose them if I am defeated, but they are helpful. I'm likely not going to be able to refresh them until the map is finished.

Explorers? They can discover nodes that boost damage or traveling speed in open world. Soldiers? Weapon lockers! Weapon lockers basically contain temporary abilities of offensive nature (like guns) or defensive (some type of grenade that has a crowd control.)

I like my little esper and I hope to be a good little support esper. I chose scientist path. Mostly because I found collecting settler resources kind of tedious.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    PalsyPlague and SilentJ like this.
  3. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

I think Domi is right to suggest Settler and Scientist for you. Here is just one more reason why you might want to pick Settler or Scientist for a healer:

Settlers and Scientists have abilities that essentially (or literally) attract other players to play with you. Having people to heal is the core component of healing people is it not?

Settlers:
    You can summon a repair bot or a mail box. At the end-game when you're expecting to wipe on the latest content people will want to play with settlers for the efficiency and convenience factor they add to a raid.

Scientists:
    You can summon your group to you. As a scientist you always have the option of questing with buddies, making it feasible to level up as a healer.

Conclusion:
    Domi is totally correct about what paths fit the criteria of the OP. However, unlike many other popular mmos, this choice isn't really going to help you min-max your character. Paths help you determine how you want to explore the PvE content as you level-up your character, they give you useful out of combat abilities, and they provide you with some nice flare (costumes, titles, etc.). Choose whatever path you have the most fun playing.
  4. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I think that's the main trick. I chose scientist because I didn't like having to constantly gather settler resources. It felt like a chore to me. Meanwhile with the scientist I would see a science icon above this random plant and I'm like "Oooo! What does this do!? Ooo! Stemdragon! Hug the stemdragon! Yays! Oh, wait. Stemdragon wants to eat me."

In other words, it was a personal preference. I really didn't like constantly collecting stuff and taking it back to a node as a settler. Scientists also share a trait with explorers in that they can unlock hidden paths that lead to new content. It doesn't exactly support healing, but it is something that makes other people want to team with you for a chance to experience that content. If you have both a scientist and explorer on your team, you can go anywhere!

I've often thought that a stalker would make a good scientist because of this ability too. You could sneaky stealth your way to an objective and teleport the rest of your team there. One of your friends is having trouble finding the entrance to a dungeon? It's okay! You can teleport them! Yays!

The ability to repair items in open world is something that no other class or path can offer. If you think about it, going back to a settlement decreases your play time. Two of the main reasons people go back to such places is to sell things and repair their items. This takes care of one of those problems enabling your team to keep going.

Totally right about this! Min-maxing with your path isn't going to work. Think of path as first the kind of playstyle you like. Then consider what the path provides. Settler and Scientist will not increase your support power. They will give you more tools to aid people though. Those tools depend on location of nodes, objects, and resources and cooldown times. (that teleport and repair bot can have really long recharge times.)
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014