1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

joining a guild via forums

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Keeno, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Keeno

Keeno New Cupcake

I just wanted discuss my thoughts on this topic. Every guild I have joined via forums/Google search never seems to end well. The longest I've been part of a guild is 2 months (our guild leader was more concerned about turning it into a business). I guess I have really bad luck and was wondering how you all found/joined your guilds?

Because of this bad run I've slowly started to become more lone wolf and only group during dungeons and PvP. It's not something I want to do but I feel like I'm wasting my time with guilds when they tick all my boxes and then within days/weeks either disbands, drama or turns into a zerg fest where 3-4 people out of that 100+ know who you are.

Would it be wise to attempt to make my own guild a couple of weeks into wildstar release (as this will be my main game)? Or should I just continue to lone wolf while trying to make friends in game?

I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong and if anyone can give me some pointers to help me find a home I would appreciate it!

P.s sorry for any spelling mistakes on phone at work with nothing to do :p
  2. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

I think your exsperience is normal for most people, myself included, im also gunna play solo/pug untill I find some awesome people but yea.. playing solo for a while vs making your own guild (which is a lot of work!) I would choose playing solo but im lazy heh :p

besides if I wait a little while I can see which guilds turn into vapour and which become solid and reputable after the initial rush of launch

so my advice would be just do what your curently doing and join a guild with freinds you make ingame
  3. Eurlin

Eurlin New Cupcake

I think the problem most guilds have is that they try to build way to big and way to fast. Somewhat like politics. I'll give you this that and the other thing! once they nab you...it's done. I count myself lucky with my guild because I've been with them for over 7 years now. I think the most important part about finding a guild though is 1. find a guild that's more of a community than a group 2. Don't just invite everyone. I mean applications are annoying, but they keep out the riff raff. it does help. and 3. They do meet your requirements. Really think about what you want from a guild, are you joining just for the sake of content? or are you joining because you want to enjoy the game with this community of people?

Even in a group of 500 you can still end up doing things by yourself.

www.vengeanceclan.com
  4. AverageZero

AverageZero New Cupcake

I have to agree with Eurlin on that, Other then my Wow Guild which I ran for a little over 9 years before disbanding, I never really had much luck finding a good place to call home. Most were out of need for raiding, and I joined for content rather then context.
    After many failed attempts, I decided I wanted that feeling I had with my old WoW Guild. Started fresh, with a new guild where I can build from the ground up again. Being selective is indeed annoying, but honestly those who are annoyed by filling out a reasonable application are probably those very people you want to avoid anyways.
    All in all there is 3 ways to go about it.

1. Take your chances with a guild on the forums. If you do, Take the time to look over their site, Read posts on their forums if you can. And speak with members. Get an idea of the people that you are going to be joining with. There is no reason to rush.
    2. Go solo for a while. Make some friends from the casual grouping, Most likely you will find people your comfortable with and either receive an invite to their guild. Or you can eventually ask them about their guild.
    3. And then there is the route less traveled... Create your own guild, which takes a lot of work, effort, and patience..
  5. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

I haven't joined a game off a forum or website yet.

I've joined several guilds after having played with people in game and enjoyed myself with them. That worked out well every time and I stuck with them for years.

I joined one guild after being actively recruited by a member in-game. That also worked out really well and I stuck with them for years. That was just good luck. Sort of equivalent to joining one off a forum too. No idea what the people or guild would be like.

The difference - especially in this context of a pre-launch MMO - is immediacy. If you join a guild in game and it turns out be a bad choice you can usually tell pretty quickly, leave and start looking for another with nothing lost but a little time. But with a pre-launch MMO you might join a guild and hang out on their forums for potentially years only to find out they're a bunch of BLEEPs once the game launches and you start playing with them.

Advice? There's no harm in looking at and considering guilds via forums. It's possible you'll find one that works for you. But don't make it a goal. Window shop with an option to go in and purchase if you see something you love.