1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Justify my addiction

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hermes, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Hermes

Hermes Cupcake

I think a lot of people can relate to this. Playing an MMO can be time consuming. Especially if you want to learn as much about the game as possible and play your class on a high level. I tend to dedicate myself completely to what I'm doing.

I have a number of interests, some more time consuming than others. For example, every day I read several news articles and various texts in Japanese as well as plow through all japanese dictionaries, reading definitions of various concepts in the original language to maintain and improve my reading ability. If I stop doing this my language skills start to rust and wither very fast.
    At the current stage in my life I have no actual use for these skills other than to read interesting news directly from japanese sources. I am thinking that if I start playing Wildstar I will have to cut back on reading or be very time effective somehow.
    This is the obvious part, some sort of sacrifice must be made. It's not like I will completely neglect the reading practice and I could replace reading with listening to podcasts while playing (my listening ability is way worse than my reading ability so this is not such a bad idea actually).

The real question, which I think many others who have previously dedicated themselves to an MMO can relate to, is: "will it be worth it?".
    In WoW I did pretty much every type of content to the highest level in vanilla and TBC. I became fed up with the game and it lost it's appeal to me. I never returned to WoW.
    I am now asking myself if Wildstar will give a different, more enjoyable experience. I've already watched movies of raids and such and can immediately identify the mechanics and the entire concept as very similar to what I did in WoW. Therefore I have excluded raiding at least.

Everyone is different but in everyone's personal opinion, do you think returning to MMO-gaming with Wildstar is a mistake or could it be fun? Part of me wants to believe it will be more fulfilling than WoW but another part of me warns me that it is poison. Maybe Wildstar is "too little too late" to justify becoming addicted to an MMO again? Anyone in a similar situation?

Here's a random bonus to everyone who happened to view this thread.

2. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I hate it when people want others to justify things. Ultimatly it is up to you wheither or not something is worth something.

When it comes to mmorpgs people very different than other games, it's as if the cost is too high for the value, even if you only play for a month it was worth it (unless of course you think 15-20 hours isn't worth the cost which I hope you would apply to console games as well, otherwise it makes little sense).

I can't devote hell I shouldn't develop too much time in an mmo.

You need to decide what is more important to you, I can't decide for you.
    Verilyn, Lsya and Hermes like this.
  3. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

Exactly. It doesn't matter if your time is spent keeping your language skills up, or working, or taking care of your family, or whatever.

If you can't manage your time to take care of what's important along with what's fun, then you have things you need to work out that we can't help you with.

These type of post are almost always the same. "I'm going to be spending so much time doing...this, this, and this, but I want to play too."

It makes me wonder if the true purpose of the post is to just brag to people what you're doing. I'm not trying to be mean, but was it really necessary to talk about how much time is spent on Japanese stuff? Honestly, it's interesting, but it's irrelevent to the post if you're really just asking about time management. So, are you really interested in time management, or are you just wanting to tell us about your Japanese language skills?
  4. Hermes

Hermes Cupcake

Sorry for my inflated ego. This is about my ambivalent and complex relationship to MMO's, how I got out of my addiction and whether or not Wildstar can bring something good or is simply bad for me. I thought a thread titled "tips on how to avoid brain rot and spiritual ruin" would sound aggressive.
    I wonder if there are more extreme players like myself who unlike me have continued playing and managed to turn their MMO experience into something positive. The point of Japanese is that it functions as therapy and as a sort of ocd-replacement but lacks many of the fun aspects of an MMO. It has sort of become a living entity filling the role God has for some people. It's telling me "I helped you, remember? Don't give up on me now after we have come so far together. Don't regress to where you were years ago. Stay with me, please".

It's understandable my first post maybe didn't make sense to anyone but me because people aren't aware of the extent to which WoW affected me negatively. I believe I'm not the only former MMO player tempted by Wildstar. I guess it's more about psychology than time management (already a thread for that anyway). Sensitive subject but I've met many who have been open about their feelings concerning MMO gaming.