1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Lead Combat Designer Chris Lynch Interview Part I

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Tribe, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

The first part of the MMORPG.com interview can be read in its entirety here.

Addressing the interval between CBT3 (closed beta test) and CBT4:
    Changes based on beta feedback:
    UPDATE: A summary of the 2nd part of the interview is below.
    Baeldan and Ianpact like this.
  2. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

The interviews have been great lately, tons of info from the Dev.
  3. FranBunnyFFXII

FranBunnyFFXII Cupcake

The devs are doing this so right XD

Prius Online's kill times were very short, and I liked it a lot better than the slower kill times of WoW.
    Killing too fast doesn't feel right but killing too slowly when you're heavily geared feels bad.
  4. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

I do not think gear was the issue with the kill times. My guess is that it had more to do with the the health/mitigation of the mobs.

Several articles have stated that in prior/current builds it was taking approximately 250 hours to hit max level. One of Carbine's goals is to reduce that to about 150 hours. Grindy is usually seen as a negative these days. Imagine leveling alts at 250 hours a piece. :devilish:
  5. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

good interview so far nice info, the Dev's cetainly know how to say all the right things :geek: :oops:
  6. FranBunnyFFXII

FranBunnyFFXII Cupcake

didn't mean the gear, I meant if it takes to long to kill mobs and level it can be a pain, but too fast leveling is also a problem. I hope they don't overdo it like Korean mmos, and I hope they don't under power it like guild wars 2.
  7. Eastwood

Eastwood New Cupcake

I thought it was taking an awful long time to kill those scorpions in those demo videos.
  8. Ugh

Ugh Cupcake

WoW kill times were slow? Seemed pretty fast to me. Then again I always had the best possible gear. So I wonder how easy it'll be to kill mobs in W* with top of the line gear.
    I'm glad they're upping the usage of telegraphs though while leveling.
    Also agree with lowering the kill times. Every video I seen seemed to take them forever to kill anything.
    Kind of made them feel weak while watching the videos.
  9. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Part II can be read in its entirety here.

The disorient CC receiving possible changes
    Macroing out of stun CC
    Interrupt Armo(u)r used in PvP
    Changes to the Esper class
    Internal balance/cost of abilities
    Hybrid play
    ruff_ethereal, Haversham and Kataryna like this.
  10. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I think they should put mobs closer to each other so accidental pulls are more often. This would make fights more skilful and exciting (and longer fights would not matter that much then as you would be forced to kill more than one mob at a time).
  11. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Disorienting hotkeys is less punishing than movement? :cautious:
  12. Gronky

I really liked this part:
    YOU'RE DISORIENTED! REACT! REACT! C'MON! C'MON! TELEGRAPH! TELEGRAPH!
    That's how game should look like in sometimes :)
  13. Tonks

Tonks Cupcake

Yea that didn't make any sense to me either. They've talked about watching the gameworld and not the UI so remapping your keys temporarily seems completely the opposite of what they want to accomplish.
  14. Gronky

"Arena can be solo"
    Since when ? I thought the smallest is 2 on 2 ??
  15. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Well, if they disorient keybinds, players will just run around and not use abilities. If they disorient movement, people will stand still but be free to use their abilities.

Of the two choices, I'd prefer the latter. People can't really just stand still and ignore what's going on around them. You have to avoid damage, you have to watch telegraphs and adjust your movement accordingly. So..you have to move. That's a unique, challenging cc that fits into the combat style. Whereas if they change it to disorienting keybinds...players just run around and wait for it wear off. Boring.
    Tribe likes this.
  16. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

I would be interested to see this statement clarified.
    If there is a 1 vs. 1 bracket, does that mean that Carbine is balancing PvP for 1 vs. 1? Intrigued as I am at that concept, I am more likely to think that Lynch either misspoke or was misquoted.

My best guess is that he may have been referring to a player being able to queue as an individual and be matched on a team with others. If this is correct, I hope this system is put into place for battlegrounds AND arenas.
  17. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I really dislike the mixed message that sometimes gets sent throughout the interviews and videos. They present an incredible devspeak, they have everyone raving about the new implementations of CC and then they talk about cutting them to make it less "jarring", along with handing out 500 ways to remove CC or render it ineffective....so why even waste any time at all on it? Why put out a video or even put it into the game, if the CC ends up working 1 in 100 times, and that 1 time, it lasts only .5 seconds because of all the iterations that render it useless.
  18. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

The game remains a work in progress. Different devs will have different opinions, and will have different knowledge from one another. I enjoy the fact that Carbine's devs are so available to the playerbase instead of being smothered by a PR machine.
    Baeldan likes this.
  19. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Well that's great and all but doesn't really say much to my quote, I think everyone likes communication from the devs over PR.
  20. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

I'd prefer Disorient to just cause the screen to start spinning, swaying, and focus-out in some areas, like what would actually happen if you were disoriented. There is the very real issue of causing someone to actually puke, though.