1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Let's talk about Roleplayers.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Rhsolyn, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Rhsolyn

Rhsolyn Cupcake

One of the reasons I'm excited for Wildstar is that it seems like has something for everyone. You have your PVP and your PVE. Your solo and group content. It even has the path system which caters to different playstyles within the PVE subcategory. We can't seen any PVP content yet, but I'm sure it'll be just as diverse. But there's something missing.

The RPers! The people who the RPG in MMORPG, and the people who Jeremy Gaffney said in a reddit AMA a while back are some of the hardest to make accommodations for within games. I am here to say nay! We actually fairly easy to please—it's just that the people behind the MMOs of today rarely give us the tools we need to foster a strong community.

I'm excited that we were mentioned in the AMA, however.I once asked a SWTOR representative if they'd be doing anything for RPers in the game and he said they weren't trying to favor one group over the other—come launch, we didn't even have speech bubbles.

However, the fact of the matter is a lot of tools that benefit RPers benefit the rest of the community as well.

For example:

1. Speech bubbles. I know many MMO players who would consider a game very hard to play, if not outright unplayable, without them and yet you’ll find MMOs here and there that don’t have them. The last place you want to be looking in combat is at your chat box!

Chances of Being in the Game: Confirmed here!

2. A smooth, customizable chatbox. Give us the ability to create custom channels. Let us make 'em pretty colors. Let us make the default channels (party, raid, say, etc) pretty colors too. Let us make the background darker for those of us with crappy eyes. One of my friend theorizes that the reason WoW's been around so long is that it has an excellent chat interface and it's easy to keep in touch with people. Considering that I've tried out quite a few of the MMOs that've come out over the years and haven't found anything better chat-wise, I'm inclined to agree with him.

Chances of Being in the Game:Unknown. We'll have to see the chat system during a demo or beta.

3. A walk toggle and an emote function (/e) Ok, these are little more than fun things to mess around with for non-RPers, and RPers can get along without them (see: TERA online), but we definitely aren't that happy about it. Thankfully with the rise in popularity of jumping puzzles in MMOs, a walk toggle is becoming more and more essential to PVEers as well.

Chances of Being in the Game: Likely. With jumping puzzles confirmed, I can't see them releasing without an ability to walk and various races walking are visible in this video at various points, so the animation is in the game. The emote function is confirmed here!

4. An Ability to Interact with the environment. Again, not game breaking for many PVE or PVPers, but there's something nice about being able to click on a chair and sit in it. I like my character being able to sit on stuff (and no not the awkward "jump up on the prop and type /sit to sit", the actual "click on the chair to sit and not look ridiculous whole doing so"). I use chairs as an example, but really anything that adds that extra level of immersion is really wonderful. Being able to get drunk off of purchased drinks, play an instrument or sheath/unsheath a weapon at will would be greatbut I know this one is more difficult requests/suggestions because it requires animation. I'd be thrilled if any of this was implemented though, since Wildstar seems to really stress environmental factors in gameplay.

Chances of Being in the Game: Unlikely/possibly unconfirmed. The Arkship community questions thread (located here) stated that you will not be able to sit in chairs due to clipping issues. I think this is really bizarre due to the emphasis on the housing system, and I hope they find a way around it!

5. The ability to have first and last names. Or just one name. Or a three part name that fits within character limits. I know I'm not the only one out there who hates competing for names on launch day, and some of my move favored names are, unfortunately, very common. And for PVEers, PVPers and RPers alike, being able to get that perfect name just rocks.

Chances of Being in the Game: Unknown, but my gut says we're going to get stuck with one name.

6. An Appearance Tab.Wildstar has a really colorful palette- which is great!- but with that increase of color comes an increased chance of looking like a particularly murderous clown while leveling. Let's face it, everyone loves an appearance tab, 'cause who doesn't love looking awesome in an MMO?

Chances of Being in the Game: Confirmed!

7. A Dye System. Or any way to customize armor. I realize this probably won't be a thing unless you guys have planned for it from the startas far as I'm aware, no MMO has ever implemented a dye system post-launch. But hey, it's kind of fun to go hunting around for that last piece of armor that'll perfectly compliment your RP set. I did some poking around and learned that Wildstar is planning to make these two an actual thing, so yay!

Chances of Being in the Game: Also confirmed! Let's party.

Things that won't really benefit PVE or PVPers but would be a huge boost to the RP community:

I think one of the biggest factors in deciding the size and strength of a RP community is how easy it is to get everyone on the same page and I think these things would be a huge boon to us.

8. No Cross Faction Language Barrier. While this is one of those things that I’d consider more a design choice than a necessity, it'd be awesome for the RP community. However, it doesn't have to be everywhere, and I'd be totally down with xfaction communication only being available in certain neutral areas. Let's be honest here, if people want to harass someone there are plenty of ways to do it without words, and without xfaction communication, how are hilarious scenarios such as this one going to take place?

Chances of Being in the Game: Unlikely. With a two faction set up like WoW, all signs seem to point to no. However, with humans both Exile and Dominion side, it wouldn't be surprising if there was a common language between them.

9. A designated RP server. While RPers are pretty good at deciding on and declaring an unofficial RP server, I think a clearly marked RP server (or two) would be wonderful at directing newcomers where to go. Sure, I know to google around for where the RP community is located now, but way back when when I was just starting to get into MMO RP I would have had no idea where to go if it weren't for WoW having RP servers.

Chances of Being in the Game: It depends. WoW has them, along with numerous other MMOs- actually pretty much every MMO I can think of off the top of my head- but we'll see if Wildstar follows the trend set by their NCsoft cousin, Guild Wars 2, which seemed to err on the side of "Roleplayers? What roleplayers??"

9. RP support on RP servers. Namely, a RP name policy. It doesn't even have to be that strictly enforced, but slapping a name change on Pooppants Mcgee who's running around griefing makes RPers feel appreciated and just as much a part of the game base as other players on non-RP servers.

Chances of Being in the Game: Honestly, it all boils down to how much Carbine cares about the RP community.

10. A RP flag or built in description tool. Ideally, both! Similar to a PVP flag, knowing who's an actual RPer versus someone standing around in a nice looking leveling outfit would be great. And while I know Wildstar is focusing a lot on making mods very accessible and part of the game, having a description tool built into the official interface (at least on RP serversor I guess the PVE/PVP people could use it as like a passive bulletin board when they're not in trade chat) would really help the RP community blossom.

Chances of Being in the Game: How's that snowball in hell doing?

So as things are now, there are quite a few things on this list that are confirmed to be in-game, and quite a few things that aren't. Now I've been a MMO RPer long enough to know that there's no way in hell we'll get all these features, but I wanted to get some discussion going and maybe, if the stars align right, someone at Carbine to see this and read it over.

I don't want the game to be tailored to roleplayerswhile games like Star Wars Galaxies were great for roleplaying in, they kind of sucked for everything else. But as much as I want an excellent game to play (which I think Wildstar will be), I want to have the tools available to really make my experience playing Wildstar the most fun possible for me and other roleplayers in the community.

What do you guys think?
  2. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

Honestly, even though I'm not a role-player, I love a lot of the things role-players desire in game. Chat bubbles are fun. I absolutely love emoting random naughty things at people during raid. And I generally just think it makes interacting with the community/environment more fun. I don't think you have to be a role-player to appreciate that these tools encourage community.

I'm of the belief that creating more tools creates more experiences. And more experience = better.
    Yakzan likes this.
  3. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

I think RPers should be able to distinguish themselves without having to be in the same guilds or server. A little icon in your hover over description or flag or so like you say would be great. As a non-RPer, I would still prefer RPers in normal PvP servers, and have the server rules adjusted slightly to accommodate preferences of RPers. They're a positive influence and usually far more pleasant that the typical PvP personalities I seem to get stuck with.

Sitting is out unfortunately. Seems the clipping was bothering Carbine. I bet RPers could care less about model clipping and would rather it was in, even if it was crudely done.
    Yakzan likes this.
  4. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

The lack of sitting in chairs considering housing seems ridiculous to me, hell I'd go as far as saying that the inability to interact with various objects in different ways makes housing somewhat silly.
    Caballera and Yakzan like this.
  5. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I just want to say that LotRO has two RP servers - one where it's simply encouraged (Landroval) and one where it's "enforced" (Laurelin) - and both are very much supported.

Landroval has a very relaxed atmosphere with a lot of silly going on, and yearly events such as the hugely popular Weatherstock, a music festival where a lot of players from other servers have created alts to park on Weathertop solely to participate.

Laurelin has its fair share of silly as well, but is generally seen as more serious than Landroval. When I say "enforced" I don't mean that anyone's going to get you kicked off the server for being OOC in /say... but names breaking the naming policy on the server will be changed without notice, and that actually helps keep disturbing elements at bay. :)
    Tyto, Brenner, Mudfin and 2 others like this.
  6. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

I definitely agree with this point. I've seen too many MMOs with half-hearted attempts at chat systems. One thing I did like about LotRO's chat window over WoW's was that you could easily highlight text to copy/paste, such as URLs. Perhaps an URL grabber would be a cool option to add? I know it's not specifically RP orientated, but I like it. Another not entirely RP thing is that you could get item tooltips by highlighting the linked item in chat without having to click it like in WoW.

This is something I find needs some emphasis in more MMOs. Sitting, I find, is a basic thing. Of course there's going to be clipping when you're going to interact with immobile objects so you can't make seating arrangements that make sense with every race in mind. It's something anyone who's play an MMO with sitting in chairs has dealt with without much fuss. However, more environmental and furniture interactions would be neat too. Perhaps interacting with beds? I know what that brings up in people's minds but it doesn't entirely have naughty connotations and either way, that little thing can bring in some extra people who pay the bills. I would also like to add fun fluff interactions such as the infamous dwarven kegs in LotRO that send you drunk and pantsless in a variety of fun places.

This is something that's been discussed in another thread but I feel is equally important. I think the most versatile one that has a little bit for everyone is the AO/TSW system, primarily AO, as there you can have First Name "Nickname" Last Name with Nickname being the character naming we're used to from WoW and First/Last being entirely optional but neat. Could even handle it's display like TSW where normally it just shows the nickname but if you target the character it shows it as First "Nickname" Last. At the very least, give us optional last names, please? WoW is actually pretty far behind in that respect. There are a gazillion other MMOs that give us that option but WoW is pretty unique in being big and yet haven't gotten around to that little extra bit that counts.

Shameless plug. >_>

This is definitely one of those tricky topics, but I do agree with you. I guess I should continue the multi-thread linking spree and point out to the discussion about this here.

Please yes, have RP servers. I'm not a really active RPer, though I occasionally dabble, but I've often found myself more at home on RP servers than others. Also, I'd like to clarify as a once happy citizen of Laurelin EU, LotRO had, and still has, RP servers. I even checked just now to make sure they're still tagged as RP servers and they are. Didn't want to ruin your thunder but I just wanted to clarify.

RP flags should be 'relatively' trivial to do, I feel. LotRO uses them in the form of changing the character name colour and being shown in their unitframe as well as tooltip. Something as basic as that would be a mighty boon to the game, I feel.

And that's what I think.
    Brenner likes this.
  7. Rhsolyn

Rhsolyn Cupcake

Oops, my bad! I knew Landroval (ah Landrover, how I miss thee, but LOTR RP just intimidated me too much) was a RP server but I thought it was unofficial with a surprisingly strong RP community. Considering how RP-friendly LOTRO is in general I should have realized my mistake, and I'll edit the OP to reflect that. <:

And as an aside, I'd totally love to see a similar name enforcement policy on any Wildstar RP server.
    starspun and Yakzan like this.
  8. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Confirmed.

Emotes confirmed, you can also make your own custom ones with /e or /em.

Currently you can't sit in chairs due to clipping issues. Could change in the future.

Pretty much confirmed.
  9. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

I really really hope for 8 myself, it's one of the few things that hasn't already been confirmed that would really bug me if they don't allow. I mean, I'd get over it, most games doesn't allow for a language barrier, but I really don't understand why it always have to be there. It rarely makes much sense from a lore perspective, and regarding gameplay? I've heard reasons like "to prevent trash talking" or "To avoid spying", but to be honest, neither of those really seem to be a very good reason. Trashtalking will occur no matter what, it happens plenty within the faction, the people who'd trash talk the other faction just take it out on their own instead. And spying, well, there's plenty of other ways to get around that, such as creating an alt.

So overall, I just think it's a sort of archaic system that makes little sense but keeps sticking around, and I really really hope they're at least considering not having it in place in WildStar.
    Brenner and Saza like this.
  10. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

One thing to also keep in mind is that WildStar is going to be releasing with full mod UI support for third party programmers. This means that we will most likely have the ability to see things like Flag RSP, MyRoleplay, Gryphonheart items and all the other awesome mods that have been created in WoW by the community.

Stuff like that can go a really long way in helping a roleplay community thrive, and other players who don't roleplay sometimes even download such mods so they can read people's bios and play around with things in their spare time. ^^

They even had a Curse representative I think at Arkship. ^^ Er, well I saw a picture with a guy wearing a Curse T-shirt... so I'm just assuming there.
    Brenner and Shadydemise like this.
  11. Liris

Liris Cupcake-About-Town

I thought they basically confirmed in an interview that there won't be cross faction communication? Or did I imagine that?

There will be RP server(s), and I am thinking maybe RP-PVP as well. I'm considering rolling on a RP server this time around. I usually skip them because I'm not an active RPer in game, but I think I would enjoy the occasional light RP and I really like seeing other people RP around me. It's a nice atmosphere. I was never sure on how well received that would be though - to play on a RP server when you don't actively RP much in game yourself but respect/enjoy the atmosphere of it.
  12. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah the whole lack of cross faction communication has always bugged me I mean really /ignore much? Really it would be like gagging people who play competative sports so they can't trash talk....
  13. Saza

Saza Cupcake

I think that every thing I see as suggestions for tools for roleplayers sounds like something I would want in game even if I wasn't roleplaying myself. Edit: I forgot to add that cross faction communication is something I would especially want to see. I think it would be far more interesting that the usual wall of silence.

I am not a person that is very likely to RP in a game, but I do roll on RP servers usually. I have never seen it become a problem and I have never felt like I am disturbing the community. There are always others like me on the server as well, who want to maybe jump into some RP now and then but are mostly uninvolved with it otherwise. No matter what kind of server I am on I respect others around me and try not to disturb how they choose to play and I use names for my characters that sound like names. That is enough to fit in perfectly with a RP server, at least from my experience.
    Liris and Yakzan like this.
  14. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

You might find a few roleplayers who will say something like "Why are you on a RP server if you don't plan on roleplaying?!", but they are rarely a majority and most of us have no real problem with it I think. As long as you're not actively trying to disrupt it, everything's fine and dandy! :)

A lot of us who RP are just as much gamers and roleplayers. I enjoy playing with non-roleplayers just as much for all the other content. So if you're interested in rolling on a RP server, I'd say go ahead!

Maybe you'll even want to join in on the RP sometime. It's super addictive once you get started :D
    Brenner, Patrician, Liris and 3 others like this.
  15. Rhsolyn

Rhsolyn Cupcake

There is actually usually quite a community of non-RPers on RP servers who come to hang out for the nicer and more relaxed atmosphere. If you're not ZOMG RAIDS or OMG PVP it can be a cool place to chill, but even then I think people focused on the, well, gameplay side of the game are good for the server because like Ender said, we're gamers as much as roleplayers and the server not being totally behind on raid progression is nice.

Thanks a ton, Black Wolf! Do you have any sources for those confirmations? Not that I don't doubt you of course, I'd just love to see all that stuff in action myself. :3 I know it's a lot to ask and I'll hunt around some myself if you're not up to it.
    Brenner, Liris and Yakzan like this.
  16. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Rhsolyn likes this.
  17. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

One of the main things I personally want to stress about the community RP site we created is that we're not some kind of closed off, separate community. I want to be as much a part of these boards here as anyone else. Heck the only reason to create a separate site is just so we have a place were we can maybe write RP posts on the boards and talk about things that might just annoy the majority of non-RPers. ;-D

But we also created a place on the forum for Non-RP, friendly guilds to advertise too in case there are guilds that end up wanting to role on a RP server, and get to know the specific community a bit more, but aren't actually RPers.

Anyway, I'm going to come right out and say that MOST roleplayers welcome anyone and everyone. If you run into some idiot who gives you <REDACTED> for rolling on a RP server and not wanting to RP, well it's kind of like running into someone who calls you a noob for no reason or someone who tells you you're a horrible player in a dungeon when they are making all the mistakes. ^^

The community here on WildStar Central is probably the best MMO community I've ever stumbled across. What moron would want to distance himself from that? Not THIS moron! ... ok that came out wrong, but my POINT is, I'm not just one of the Founders of the WildStar Roleplay site... I'm one of the members here at WildStar Central. Anyone who loves WildStar is just as welcome in my backyard as I am welcome here. :inlove:
    Brenner, starspun, Liris and 2 others like this.
  18. Liris

Liris Cupcake-About-Town

In WoW, I played with a few RPers on a PVE server. One of them would have these story/adventure nights, where we would meet up in different parts of the world, and he would tell about the lore of the area while staying in character. He would also throw parties and gatherings for our guild, again in character, where we'd all meet up and socialize. Anyway, those are some of my fondest memories in any MMO. I'd love to participate in things like that again. I figured a RP server would give me more opportunities for stuff like that. :)
    Yakzan, Noa and Patrician like this.
  19. Noa

Noa Cupcake

That sounds pretty cool to me :)

I've always wanted to do some actual RP, I've rarely ever been able to do so outside a tabletop session. I would love to be given the chance to work/play with others who are like minded and don't break out into meme's now and again. You Roleplayers who know when to be 'serious face' and when they can joke around.
    Brenner likes this.
  20. Balgoss

Balgoss Cupcake

I really hope Carbine are going to listen to these ideas; I felt really lost on GW2 back when I wanted to join the RP community. Yes, the RP community settled for a server, but still - I felt like it lacked organization.
    An RP Flag seems like a very cool feature which isn't hard to implement; Sort of like WoW's MRP Addon's 'Character Status' tab. Me likes.
    I hope that the WS RP community will grow and thrive as it did in WoW; Me and RP are inseparable. :inlove:
    Peace!
    Yakzan and Kurik Lein like this.