1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Let's talk about Roleplayers.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Rhsolyn, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Shadydemise

Shadydemise Cupcake

I have to agree here! A lot of UI features do not have to depend entirely on the developer. Additionally, I think the modding community for Wildstar could become bigger than any other MMO released. Jon Wiesman stated,
    This is huge for the community! Creating addons should provide less barriers of entry than current MMO's. Hopefully, this translates to more addons created by independent users. Want to have a colorful chat window with various fonts and features? Try making an addon for it!

This really gets me excited for the game. Even if Wildstar doesn't launch with a RP-friendly UI, we can try to design our own!

Jon Wiesman's quote was taken from http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_wednesday_yes_well_have_ui_addons.php
    ruff_ethereal, Yakzan and Patrician like this.
  2. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Exactly, and a simple thing like this is often over looked by roleplayers when they examine a new game because they don't immediately think of it as a feature for them. But it IS! Oh, it so is. Possibly one of the best they can give us.
    Ender likes this.
  3. Rhsolyn

Rhsolyn Cupcake

Yeah, I'm definitely excited for addon support--it means if we don't get anything in the game we can do it ourselves. :) However, my concern is that not everyone who's interested in RPing knows about RP addons! Having a RP flag or something similar built into the default UI on RP servers would be excellent for the community.

Also, edited the OP to reflect the confirmed features that Black Wolf informed me of. I'll keep this list updated as we learn more!
  4. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

People are quick learned :) if a RP mod becomes the norm, I'm pretty sure the word will spread rather quickly. Heck, it was pretty much the way I learned about mods back in WOW :D

So I agree, in most games, it would have been awesome with a built in version, but since we get to add our own here, it's really not that high on my wish list right now. Just the fact that we get a way of markin ourselves as roleplayers and perhaps write a few words about our character appearance etc is amazing for me compared to pretty much every game I've seen lately.
  5. Loveless

Loveless Cupcake

So long as I'm never exiled for encouraging pvp action on non-pvp realms for in character reasons, I'll be happy with whatever they give us. If you're playing the role of a character who takes pride in their faction/city, why wouldn't you wish to throw out interlopers? Nothing beats making a battleground group feel more confused then when you're topping the charts while barking out in character strategy. I've never liked that the RP community are so often labeled as peaceniks and battle-dodgers.

Also, keep in mind, cliques are the bane of open RP. Preaching to the choir!
  6. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

You know, one thing I think I'd love to see (and from my understanding wouldn't be that hard to implement) is an emote system like LOTRO used.

For any and all unfamiliar with the game, their emote system worked similar to WoW's but with some amazing additions. If you typed /bow then of course your character would bow and default emote text would appear on the screen in chat:

Patrician bows.

However, if you typed " /bow takes off his hat and bows with a flourish! " then people would see this text pop up in chat:

Patrician takes off his hat and bows with a flourish!

WHILE your avatar was bowing. You could do this with each and every emote too, so you could always line up an in game avatar animation and action with your own custom text, on the fly. They had basically tied each animation command into the /em system.

I don't think it would be that difficult to make happen, right? I'd really love for them to do this. I bet even non-RPers would enjoy the feature.
  7. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

OH! Yet another thing I would also love is the ability to set your character's facial "mood." I think LOTRO did this as well, and I know SWTOR did it. I'm not sure if the technology exists in WildStar to do so, but with their engine and "Meet the..." videos I'm sure it would be possible, and frankly I would ABSOLUTELY ADORE IT. All of us would.

Basically it would just be allowing us to set our facial mood to be representing in game. So we could make our characters' facial expression be happy, sad, surprised, depressed, angry, all the basics.

ACK! And one last thing! Head tracking! I would love for my character's head to turn and track things he's looking at. This however I'm not sure how feasible it is with their target system and the way they've designed their character animations. However, games where my character's head looks up, down, and side to side based on his target's movement is a REAL treat.
    Ender, Bantheera, Yakzan and 2 others like this.
  8. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

Hmm, we haven't ever talked about "RP Chat" yet, have we? Sounds like a good opportunity to jump in...

We have a cool chat function that was created a while back. By default, player chat is set to "regular chat only," however you can switch it to "Regular and Roleplaying" or "Only Roleplaying". Then, you can type something like this:

{*}Man, it's cold outside. I need my sweater.{*} BRB getting food.​

A default player would only see in chat:

BRB getting food.​

Someone with "Only Roleplaying" on would see:

Man, it's cold outside. I need my sweater.

And someone with both enabled would see:

Man, it's cold outside. I need my sweater. BRB getting food.​

It's a simple little filter, but it's pretty effective for roleplayers thus far. Interested in hearing your thoughts on it, of course.
    Tyto, Fate Flyer, Kurik and 16 others like this.
  9. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Scooter... I freaking love this. No, really, I just LOVE this! WOOHAW! This is a wonderful RP chat feature. Stuff like this completely makes my day!

It allows people to set their own 'immersion level' as well as even allow others to spam chat with all kinds of RP stuff without worrying about making someone's chat window scroll like crazy too (if they have RP turned off and just want OOC for a particular reason).

I'll be someone who has both turned on all the time I'm sure, but this option is just... WAH GAWD WOW! Thank you! Here, have all my likes!
  10. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

That sounds amazing, Scooter! I can't believe how much you guys are doing for the roleplayers! When I first started looking at the game, I was a bit worried it wouldn't have a RP community at all, because it's not exactly classic fantasy. I thought maybe Patrician and I were the only ones around who was really looking forward to roleplaying in this universe. But not only is www.wildstar-roleplay.com thriving and ever growing, Carbine Studio also seem to be amazingly aware that we're out there, and so good at listening to the needs of a group that I think quite often feel overlooked in MMORPGs.

Great job, so awesome to hear!
  11. Duckdee

Duckdee Cupcake-About-Town

Could work well in separate windows.
  12. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

I remember making a suggestion a loooong time ago about letting guilds have multiple official channels built into the system, so that an RP guild could have, say, an IC channel, an OOC channel and an officer channel, while a raid guild could operate the first two as casual chat and gameplay channels, as an example. But this, this blows that away. I am very impressed. :)
    Patrician likes this.
  13. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

One of the greatest things about this system is it allows us to manage large scale RP events.

It's always annoying for some players to come into a big event (a party, an election, an arena fight, a contest) and have someone trying to organize things OOC in various (( Blah blah blah )) posts in chat. I personally do not mind it and sometimes feel OOC communication is always necessary in various situations, but a ton of RPers enjoy their immersion and don't want it broken, and I always respect that.

Another issue some have is when people start talking off topic in OOC. Or they want to chat about what's going on OOC but want anyone who is interested to hear, not just one person in a tell or their guild or those they are grouped with. This allows you to do that on the fly, without having to create a custom channel and then advertise locally at an event "JOIN BLAH BLAH OOC CHANNEL FOR OOC CHAT!"

Seriously, the possibilities with this integrated chat system are just amazing for us. I am still stunned and impressed by it.
    Bantheera, Nonsensicles and Ender like this.
  14. Duckdee

Duckdee Cupcake-About-Town

Ah, just realised {*} takes me 6 keystrokes to type out. I'm going to need a keybind!
    Nonsensicles and Patrician like this.
  15. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Yeah it would be nice to actually be able to map {*} to a macro so it can be typed as one keystroke in game. ^^
    Duckdee likes this.
  16. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

Scooter, that is something I had never considered and frankly impresses me. It's like Patrician says, it allows people to set their level of immersion. They don't have to see the roleplayers roleplaying or see the 'normies' doing their own thing, if they want. A fantastic compromise. The only suggestion I could make is what Duckdee said, and that's to have the different chats be something you can adjust with chat settings (Fonts, font size, colour) and which chat window you wish each one to be displayed on. This way people can make it easier for them to identify each 'type' of chat or even have seperate windows to in order to handle each type seperately, along with being able to have one window be set to chat only in 'normal' and the other to be set for 'roleplaying.' Again, this is a great feature and I hope to see more such surprises.
    Patrician likes this.
  17. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Sounds awesome! Great idea.
  18. Xytale

Xytale New Cupcake

Words cannot express how much "win" is in this idea. As a hardore RPer, I applaud your thinking, Sir.
  19. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

For me #8 is the tricky one.

I understand why you would want one common tongue. But I prefer the way EQ did it on Firiona Vie server. When you created your character you did not know a common tongue you knew yours and maybe one other, Half Elf knew human and elvish. You could play were you chose not to understand anyone but your race or you could sit down with a group of different races, group up and then talk (spam) and you would gradually learn the language. I have fond memories of my Ogre in Kelethin sitting for groups and spamming Ogre speak. I met some of the best people and found a guild that way. It may seem tedious but it was cool. Once you could speak with them you usually did. It was fun to select Ogre as your language and speak it with your friends and other player were like what?
  20. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

uh..winning!!