1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Letting go of the right mouse button

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Afropenguinn, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Afropenguinn

Afropenguinn New Cupcake

The less I have to do this the more I seem to enjoy the MMO. I see they are taking a lot of steps towards this by making a lot of things activatable by pressing the "F" key. I guess there are a few target abilities, which I still don't like but that is personal preference. Anyone else like me just never want to have to let go of that right mouse button? What do you think of Wildstar's direction on it so far, too little or too much? Think there will ever be an option to just toggle mouselook (nativity, I know it can be done through a 3rd party macro)?
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

So you want to keyboard turn?
  3. Afropenguinn

Afropenguinn New Cupcake

Opposite, I meant that I hate having to let go of the right mouse button :p I like the mouse to control the camera at all times like it does in most non-MMO games.
  4. Stich

Stich Cupcake

the OP means keeping control of the camera with the mouse, while still being able to activate a node, or something, without having to relinquish control over the camera for a second or two
  5. Livnthedream

Yeah, I get that now. I misread/understood it before. I blame being terrible on it honestly. I tend to not have this issue as I just rebind everything to it anyway. I like having as few hotkeys as possible. As I have said a few times G13+g600 pc master race reporting for duty. :)
    Stich likes this.
  6. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

Somebody will probably make something like that mod Guild Wars 2 had, but they should implement the option in game by default imo. BnS has both standard tab targeting mode as well as the locked mouse with crosshair and you can just switch to whatever you prefer.

Keeping one button pressed all the time is a pain(sometimes literally), not to mention you could just bind something else to it instead.
  7. jetah

jetah Cupcake

so in an action style mmo, we're required to hold the r-mouse button down for 99% of the time? Seems as though WS should have native support for FPS mode.
  8. Livnthedream

If you weren't already doing this in basically every mmo you were doing it wrong.
    CptElendi likes this.
  9. eharper256

eharper256 Cupcake-About-Town

I know I was, and I know my right middle finger hates me for it. I get enough finger cramp at work typing for 8 hours, and I don't want further stress on my digits when I play games on top. Its bad enough in a targeted game, never mind one with full-blown action combat.
  10. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

ya i dont want fps mode unless you can turn it off using 1 key press then have full access to all your menus.
    even then i dont know if i want it.
  11. Livnthedream

That sounds about as bad as an old Gm who had to stop playing Tsw and Gw2 because "Mashing the keys hurt his shoulders".

After playing Eso I don't want it at all. I like my mouse thanks.
    BLAPPiN and Xecks like this.
  12. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

well i played neverwinter for a while and i diddnt like it either.
  13. Dargenus

Dargenus Cupcake-About-Town

I do believe there is a mouselook addon already. I'll definitely be looking into it.
  14. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

I had the same fear until I found an official solution.
  15. coreymj78

Why? When in combat do you need a cursor? Especially in an "aiming" game like WS? Why on earth would you want to be forced to hold down your right mouse button (while using your other gaming mouse buttons as well and getting claw hand) during combat? Or God forbid, keyboard turning, which as we all know is just bad, bad, bad.

Without mouse-based steering, those are your two options. The Neverwinter style mouse-steering doesn't change a thing except for not having to constantly hold your right mouse button, which is a pain in the ass during combat. If you want your cursor back, you just hit a keybind and there it is. Hit the keybind again and you got your mouse-steering and target reticle back. Why would this not make sense to everybody? I don't get it. It just makes you better at moviing during combat is all because it's one less button you don't have to hold down.

And yes, there is an official solution for this already, but again, I'm not allowed to talk about it. Let's just say it's definitely official, and I believe these options will be included at launch due to the overwhelming positive feedback on it.
  16. coreymj78

Yes exactly. Never fear, I believe these features will be in the launched product. Either use it, or don't. Optional.
  17. jetah

jetah Cupcake

I have been using r-mouse for moving my camera but I always had tab targeting so moving the camera wasn't a real necessity. I played Neverwinter and it didn't need the mouselook lock.

I just feel I won't need to use the r-mouse to look when I can just move the mouse (ie fps mode). If i need my cursor then I can just open my bags or something.
  18. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

19. Tidezen

Tidezen Cupcake

I would very much appreciate an always-on mouselook option...I've already broken two respectable mice, and my G600 is already showing the initial signs of being the third victim to "holding right mouse button down" syndrome.

I love Logitech mice, but they really need to get their act together and just make some sturdier switches. It's such a waste when I have to send the whole mouse in for a replacement when it's perfectly functional except for that less than one-cent piece of metal.
  20. Nightquaker

Nightquaker New Cupcake

Holding right mouse button to move a camera is and should be implemented solely in MMOs with tab-targeting system. It should never be implemented in a pure action MMO like ESO, Neverwinter or Wildstar and it is utterly stupid to implement them like in Wildstar. It also has absolutely nothing to do with rebinding, nor it has anything to do with hotkeys.
    PC mustard rice my ass.
    Last edited: May 15, 2014