1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Letting go of the right mouse button

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Afropenguinn, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Nope. This is why opinions are like <REDACTED>s.
    Kataryna likes this.
  2. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

Exactly.

1. Being free of holding down the right mouse button to turn does not mean you would have to resort to keys to turn, it just means that you can turn with your moust WITHOUT having to hold down the right mouse button. This gives you true aiming capability and usually comes with a reticle in the middle of your screen so you know what your aiming at.

2. This also means that your arrow cursor would dissappear. But most action combat MMOs deal with this by enabling you to select / activate / loot items on the screen by simply targeting them with your reticle OR if you really need your cursor back, they provide a hotkey that will temporarily give you a cusor. Hit the key again and your back to reticle.

3. Even WoW has this option now... and don't argue, it really does. There is a keybind in WoW called "Move and Steer" and with this key bound as your foward, you can "moust steer" as long as you are moving forward with "Move and Steer" as opposed to the normal "Move Forward" keybind, thus turning WoW into a "mouse steering" MMO. The thing with Blizzard's version is that as soon as you press the "Move and Steer" key, your cusor dissapears and as soon as you let go, it comes back. Just another way to impliment it. Even Blizzard understands the benefit of this.

I realize I'm over explaining this and that most people get it, but there are some in this thread that really didn't understand the benefit of "mouse steering" and why it's really the most beneficial way. Really, if there is an intelligent method of dealing with the cusor factor (either it dissappears and re-appears as you move and stop moving, or there is a special cursor hotkey, or you can simply target the on screen items needed to be accessed, there is really never a reason not to have this option.

I do however believe in having options, so all that said, I think that the developers should always make "mouse steering" and option in the prefrences. If you prefer to use the old fashioned "right mouse button moving" then so be it. Everyone else will simply be at an advantage. :)
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  3. Benevon

Benevon Cupcake-About-Town

Yes, the option should be there by default. As of right now it isn't but there is an addon to do so.

Now, calling people idiots because they prefer the current default method just makes you sound trolly and many people probably wouldn't read your post beyond that. I don't see how using the mouse button would put anybody at a disadvantage over someone who uses the other method. Being somebody who has used the classic right mouse button style for many years, I have built up such a muscle memory that my reaction times are just fine. In fact, games like NWO took me awhile to get used to because ai kept trying to turn with the mouse button.
  4. coreymj78

coreymj78 Cupcake-About-Town

Well you're right. I edited my post and took out the idiot part.

But the difference between being forced to use the right mouse button vs. being free of it is the difference of one finger. A finger that can be used to click another button. Most gaming mice have many buttons, on each side, in the middle, the scroll wheel buttons and scroll wheel "tilt" buttons, etc.

Also, when you are having to use your middle finger to hold down the right mouse button, it really makes combat more difficult because you are having to use those muscles in your hand which restricts other muscle movement.

All in all, it's much easier when you are free of it. That's why I can't for the life of me understand why some people prefer it, unless those are the same people who just don't understand what "mouse steering" is all about, or just don't like change.