1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Level 14 - It's me, Mario

Discussion in 'Nexus Weekly Podcast' started by Gray, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Gray

Gray Podcaster

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Episode 14 stars the wonderful Cali as well as Gray and Pseudo. In this episode we pick the brain of Cali and her very accomplished MMO 'hardcore elitist' raiding past. We also cover some cool community rapid fire and play a very controversial game of pants or no pants.

( Listen now )
    ( Download now )

Click Guide
    Times are not deadly accurate ™
    00:26 - Welcome Cali
    2:40 - Cali sums up her Pax experience
    4:05 - How did Carbine look when she visited the booth?
    6:25 - What did she think of her gametime?
    6:55 - Character creation
    8:55 - How do you design your characters? Cali starts us off
    12:45 - Confessions from Pseudo
    13:25 - Playing the opposite gender in games
    16:25 - Lady and the Raid
    17:52 - Back to PAX and roullette, schwag

19:21 - The After Party Skinny - Cali gives us the run down and answers our questions to re-live the experience

33:53 - Pokket's Interview and Wildstarian Raiding
    35:03 - Horrible tangent
    35:39 - Cali's raiding background ("hardcore")
    38:22 - Does a top raiding guild communicate differently?
    39:09 - 40 man raids. Class leaders will likely come back in Wildstar
    40:25 - What happens when someone botches an encounter?
    41:45 - How many days per week will her 40 man put into it? In the past?
    44:15 - Pseudo's raiding in Rift
    46:27 - Raiding successes and building server identity
    50:53 - Will the other raiders (non 40 man) naturally gravitate to 40 mans? (and Pseudo's limited gameplay perspective:ninja:)

53:25 - Cali on 40 man raids and the telegraph system
    56:40 - Op: What will the most interesting role of the raid be?
    57:25 - More on bringing a chain of command to larger raids
    1:00:25 - Indeed the elitism is strong in those ones
    1:01:58 - PvE or PvP server?
    1:02:31 - Pseudo the duckfacerer
    1:03:50 - Community Rapidfire: Resistance Heavy Raids? MeakGG
    1:07:25 - Community Rapidfire: Tools we can use for Mods Anhrez
    1:11:30 - Community Email: OneMT - Exploiting telegraphs w/mods?
    1:13:25 - Controversial Pants or no pants?
    1:15:25 - What games are you playing? Cali begins
    1:18:55 - Outro
  2. Graff (FLB)

Graff (FLB) Cupcake-About-Town

When will this be on Itunes?
  3. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Wow, that's a long episode. Luckily I have the day off tomorrow. :)
    Aheadache likes this.
  4. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

Question for Cali: As identifying your guild as a hardcore raiding guild, relying on reputation to find more players, how is your guild going to give back to the community that no longer needs raiding information (as this would be the most common approach with things such as Tank Spot or Elitist Jerks, taking two WoW examples)? This of course relies on the premise that Mike Donatelli brought up in his interview with Pokket that raiding would be entirely for the 1%.
  5. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Great episode! :cool:

Cali is a Star Wars fan and her first MMO was Star Wars Galaxies? Same, and same! :D *internet high five* :inlove: Since you mentioned him, is Boba Fett your favorite Star Wars character, Cali? I would probably have to say mine is a toss up between Tenel Ka and Tahiri Veila. ^__^ (Star Wars EU, ah!)

Haha Gray, my boyfriend was agreeing with you on the discussion of playing a female toon. :laugh: He never has played a female character before because he just feels like he relates so much better to a male toon, since it's like that toon is a projection of himself.

I do agree that there are a lot more women these days playing video games and playing MMOs. I know I personally am a much bigger gamer than my boyfriend. :3 I do like to raid and have a ton of fun doing dungeons. (Towards the end of my WoW career, I only ever did dungeons and nothing else.) However, I never have had the time to devote to become remotely close to an elitist like you, Cali, lol. I would love to be able to do more raiding, as PvE is definitely my thing, and it would be incredible to be able to be with a group of people who is dedicated. Maybe one of these days when I am a housewife... ;) *nudges Axiom Awaits*

Really loved this episode! Cali is so cool and so sweet. Thanks for having her a guest!

Also, people! Stay tuned to the very end, because best ending ever! :roflamo:

Oh, and Gray - shameless promotion... Kurik and I think that you guys should have Dragnog as a guest on Nexus Weekly for a future episode. :) He has a fantastic voice that needs to be heard by all! He is a wonderful conversationalist with lots of philosophical insight too, I must say.
    Duracell, Micael L Barbosa and Kurik like this.
  6. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

beef wrapped in pastry and mushrooms that Gordon Ramsey makes is Beef Wellington (does the randomest comment on the podcast win a prize??)
    Kurik and Fate Flyer like this.
  7. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

The community can always benefit from write ups that explain things in black and white. I don't agree that the community no longer needs raiding info, I know a few people in our guild contribute to site such as MMO-champion, Sithwarrior, and similar sites. Wow might have many very well rounded sites but those all are made better by community contribution. Smaller games tend to need those type of contributions even more than older, more established games. Anyway we typically Stream...a lot, theory craft different specs
    Participated on the forums, write guides. I had a pretty long guide about how BH healing worked in SWTOR, we have several players in guild that enjoy writing guides and normally people find that kind of thing useful in some capacity even if they already know 90% of what's being said sometimes you learn something.

I love Boba Fett. Supposedly Disney announced a couple months ago, a movie featuring him. I'd definitely go see that for better or for worst.

I like the show better with an ending...some podcasts just end and I think my net died lol.

Yes! That's the one! I was only sad that we ate dinner before we got there since we didn't know there would be food.
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  8. Graff (FLB)

Still isnt up for download on my podcasts app.
  9. Larynx

Larynx New Cupcake

Very entertaining podcast, keep up the good work!
  10. Zee

Zee Cupcake

Great episode.
  11. spencerBAXLEY

spencerBAXLEY Cupcake-About-Town

The ending just about killed me! Great episode guys! :D
  12. Gray

Gray Podcaster

Thanks for the update - I've just forced an RSS "ping" and therefore the update should be available by tonight or tomorrow methinks.
  13. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

Great episode! I'm glad you guys get such a wide range of guests, from PVE hardcore to PVPers and RPers. I was never one of the truly hardcore, but I did enjoy dedicated raiding back in my days of WOW, and I relied heavily on the theorycrafting and tools provided by the raiders ahead of us. ;) However, I'd never have the patience for a PVP server, that just isn't my idea of fun. :p

I look forward to catching Cali's streams in the future! ;)
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  14. Honoracy

Honoracy Cupcake-About-Town

Hey Gray. If you need anyone to come on as a guest to talk about the WSW:Arena I would be honored. I had messaged Bardic about a few questions regarding ELDER game PVP and most was answered on this new post. I must say I'm pretty stoked :D
  15. Graff (FLB)

Still not up on the app.
  16. Wayne Butler

Wayne Butler New Cupcake

Long time lurker, first post. Just want to say, you guys are endlessly amusing. As a constant MMO player, I've played in some hardcore guilds, but never been hardcore myself. I always feel... a little inferior next to the guys who give it as much as Cali, but I really appreciate the work they put in. Its great to see someone completing the hardest content and giving me someone to in-game idolize. Keep up the great work, cant wait for episode 15 where you guys discuss the new crafting update and arena!
  17. Gray

Gray Podcaster

Alright now I have fixed it. The RSS feed just didn't have episode 14 on it. The programmers in charge of putting episode 14 have been sacked...

Still likely 24 hours at the time of this post.
  18. Graff (FLB)

Yep, I got it now.
    Dont mean to sound self promoting but Im wondering if my thread about what gender youll play as inspired the conversation about that subject in the podcast. I cant remember if I made the thread before or after this was recorded.