1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Leveling alts

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Lunacat, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Lunacat

Lunacat Cupcake

Hi all
    I noticed on the gamespot video that it was mentioned that the Draken and the unannounced race would be starting in deradune. That makes me think that there will be more than just one starting zone per faction, at least I hope so. I'm currently playing Rift and i love it, only problem i really have with it is the lack of different zones to level in, gets a little boring going through the same places again and again.
    I think I read somewhere that Wildstar would have a large world to play in, with many zones to explore. Do you think there will be a few alternative paths to level through, maybe not just starting zones but mid level ones also, hope that made sense :)
    Thanks.
    Kurik Lein and Mudfin like this.
  2. Irimii

Irimii Cupcake

I certainly hope so. I'm an altoholic so it's really nice when starting areas are split up like WoW or Guild Wars 2 instead of being the same linear starting points like Tera or Aion.

I'm not sure if there will be multiple leveling paths but I really hope there are. The more variety in leveling the better IMO.
  3. TattooedWalrus

TattooedWalrus Cupcake

You know, I honestly would not be suprised if there was a couple different leveling paths. I mean, just think about how paths with affect your leveling! Explorers will get cool new routes through zones, soldiers will have more combat missions, and all the paths will change how you level each character :).
    Gaffney also suggested that for end game, you may go back to low level zones and they will do crazy stuff for challenges, so I definetly wouldn't be suprised if they make multiple leveling paths.
    They also said that the engine they are using lets them change dungeons and the like almost completely on the fly, so who knows, maybe they will change leveling zones every few months :)
    Great question.
  4. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I hope this is the case as well, honestly. The more level paths we're allowed on top of all the content in the 4 path system the more varied a leveling experience will be for an alt.

It'll keep a TON of players playing the game, and it's frankly a good business plan for them to provide as many different zones and content paths up to level cap as they can. ^^
    Zerdav and Irimii like this.
  5. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

Long time since I played a game with different starter zone per race. Would love to see it again. Adds to the charm of the game.
    Mudfin likes this.
  6. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I'm in favor of multiple leveling zones per faction. Keeps some of the tedium away.
  7. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

More then one leveling path would be nice. One idea I read was to make some quests only unlock when you play a alt kind of like a new game + where go through new content on your second character.
  8. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

I swear I read something about this in one of the recent articles, but there have been so many. I think the idea was that your first couple of levels in Wildstar would be instanced, on something like your race's ship or whatever. Then you would go to another instanced starter zone depending on your race, capped at something like 50 people. Then around level 6 or w/e you would go to a larger zone with more people in it. The idea is to cut down on the new-game "zone overload" that frequently happens.

If anyone else read what I did and can provide a link that would be awesome. Don't want everyone thinking I'm crazy. lol
  9. Irimii

Irimii Cupcake

I read the same thing but I can't remember where it was either! :( I thought I imagined it too...
  10. Qimx

Qimx Cupcake-About-Town

You could start in the same zone but with a different path and the whole area will be completly new.
    Protostar guarantee.
    Patrician likes this.
  11. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Hmmm as another altaholic, I do appreciate variety. It may be efficient to have one zone but you just go into auto after the second alt , which is a shame. I do appreciate the art and style and writing in the games I play but with one zone, it starts to blur.

So yes more paths to level is always more fun.
  12. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

*Protostar is not responsible for repeated monotony across paths. ;)
    Ingsoc likes this.
  13. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

lol, nice

If what they are saying is true and ~20% of your content is path related, that should be enough variety for me. I'll definitely want to check out all the paths, and playing through different races should help a bit too.
    Elsie likes this.
  14. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Agreed. And heck, honestly with player housing in the game like it is, I might become a one character guy with very few alts! I doubt it, since that hasn't happened really since my first MMO days, but with all their focus in endgame and Elder content, maybe it will!
    Ender, Auryn and Fate Flyer like this.
  15. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Ditto! :)
  16. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

I find myself hoping this is the case, even though I've been an altaholic for years. I really want to invest my energy into one character and feel attachment. I remember when the thought of rolling another toon felt like the ultimate betrayal. I hardly bat an eyelash at the character creation screen anymore. There just hasn't been enough to do at end-game in modern MMOs to discourage me from rerolling.
    Liris, starspun and Elsie like this.
  17. Taters

Taters Cupcake

In the video he says it's "one of the first" zones you see. And that draken is level 6 arriving there on a space ship. I imagine that ship is arriving from a race-specific starting zone/planet.
  18. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

if they don't have separate zones to break up the levelling I'd be fine just being able to run more than one instance of the client and power lvl /shrug.
  19. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

As an altoholic, leveling variety is a big factor in the longevity of the game. My endgame is leveling anew.
    Aheadache likes this.
  20. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

I suffer from Altisem, guess that's a form of altoholic. I tell my self every new game that I am going to do better and stick to 5 or less.. er one or two.