1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

LFG Tool, a Poll

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Lyas Tyrell, Apr 5, 2013.

?

If you are trying to group with just your server, should it warp you to instance?

1. Yeah, why not

107 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. No, it's my server I'll walk

124 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

I feel like an LFG tool is a good thing, but it should only warp you to the dungeon if you are cross server. Otherwise it should just form the group and you can walk.

Why not?

Arguments?
    Yakzan likes this.
  2. Acidblood

Acidblood Cupcake-About-Town

As long as there is some way to summon, e.g. 2 people at the entrance can activate a device to summon the other party members, then I really don't see the need for the tool to do it for you. Also, upon exiting the dungeon you should pop out into the world at the entrance (and if you don't want to be ganked play on a PvE server).
    Reeve, SiegaPlays and Lyas Tyrell like this.
  3. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

I would prefer the walking but I'm sure they will do either one of those:
    1) no walking
    2)1-2 people have to walk and can summon the rest
    We here in the forums are just the minority, who won't probably represent the playerbase who will occupy the game at release ;)
  4. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

If it's a player-driven transport such as a Warlock summon, I'd ok with it. But in general, I think players should have to physically make their way to the dungeon/raid entrance. This helps the world feel alive and give it a sense of place and scale, not to mention the chance for world PvP :)
    Bnol, Bryce, Mudfin and 4 others like this.
  5. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Yes I agree with Lethality. Also it will boost social interaction if portals/summons are only player-driven.

For a X-Server Dungeon Finder (XSDF) I would be okay with instant porting, but if you select the checkbox 'Server Only' you should not be ported into the dungeon imho. Like I said it will boost social interaction and strengthens the community in the long haul.
    Lyas Tyrell, Yakzan and Joukehainen like this.
  6. Vembumees

I think implementing something like that would make the feature completely unused. If there is an option whether to work with friends or work with strangers, most of the people would pick work with friends. If there is an option whether to walk to work or drive to work for FREE, then 99% would pick drive to work for free.
    If you don't like the analogy that's fine, but the way you are suggesting that feature, I am 100% sure that your implementation would just make even most of the people who would like server-side matching, not use it, because that's already triple unefficient than normal lfd. Only way is to just make people to walk to the entrance with both options or just not at all.
    Rai, Feliun and Luciamund like this.
  7. Sanktus

Sanktus New Cupcake

I believe that auto grouping is a great mechanic but I should still have to make my way to the instance, it may take more time but I'm experiencing the content that the developers made for me to see. Having a direct port to the instance make the world also feel a lot smaller as well, which hurts the game.
  8. Rogosh

Rogosh Cupcake-About-Town

Give me rift zoning, when one member zones into the dungeon we all get the option of zoning in no matter where we are.
    Chosenxeno and Naunet like this.
  9. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Most people here want a Server Only option because it strengthens the community and in the long run it will be a nicer server and game to play. Every feature that helps strengthens the community I will embrace.
    Mudfin likes this.
  10. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

There's pros and cons to both.
    In all honesty I prefer it to port to instance when I'm levelling alts etc as I usually group with people I don't know at that point and waiting 20 minutes+ for some random guy to 'finish this quest, turn in, meander over to the instance taking the scenic route' isn't my idea of fun.
    That being said I'm likely to end up in cross server queues on alts unless everyone else has the same idea of alt levelling and the same server queues are short so probably wouldn't affect me much anyway.

I can definitely see the downside of port to instance on Ganking...er PvP servers :D as the 'PvP'ers need a stream of unsuspecting victims or they get a bit grouchy (as we saw in the other thread) but hey - people rolled on a PvP server so the victims knew what was coming and deserve it :devilish:
    That being said it can lead to some fun scenarios if instances are in opposing faction territory (either blockade running your group past the 'player guards' or simply calling in guildies and ignoring the instance in favour of open warfare).

For proper open world PvPers I don't think it'll matter too much as in my experience PvP guilds will be out in force actively looking for fights anyway (at least the guilds I was in didn't queue for instances and stuff while looking for world pvp - we created our own action at quest hubs/opposing faction capital, etc).
    Maybe that's not the norm and I was just lucky when I joined PvP guilds /shrug seemed logical to me though.

If they can't find a way to do both then I'll be happy with whatever is favoured by the majority (yes I know...baaaa!) as I can live with either delays (especially as on same server queues I'll blacklist repeat offenders) or with missing out on any additional interaction (or even just the scenery when flying over to instances).
  11. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

In this game in particular I think that it is fine because it fits with other aspects of the game. If you can teleport to your house, you should be able to teleport to other parts of the planet.
    Fate Flyer and Lyas Tyrell like this.
  12. Vembumees

Yes, but most people here will barely be even the 1% of the release population. Most of the people here will be scattered around 20-50 servers between EU and NA. I mean, you already just got a feature that you wanted. And now you want even more.

Basically, let me put it this way. You already just got a feature that already is unappealing to the masses and will probably increase your queue time by 100%+. And now you would prefer if that feature would be made even more unappealing. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd like the lfd to work the older way as well, but honestly, I don't see the point of that "optional LFD" if it will have below 10 hours queues only in RP and few PvE servers. They don't strenghten the community at all if there won't be anyone to use them. If you make lfd so unappealing with your demands that it has endless queue times, then even you will just use the normal LFD or just use the lfg chat or just manually search the players and put something together yourself in 5 mins. And tell yourself and others that "they implemented the LFD wrong".
  13. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

First of all I don't demand anything. I'm speculating here and offering suggestions. This is the time to tell Carbine what you think is wrong or what could be done better in the game. My views don't have to match yours or Carbines.

Second, I know they read almost everything and take a lot of things in consideration. They don't have to implement everything what I think is the right way to go. Not at all.

Third, it's not me that got the feature I wanted, but the community as a whole. Don't attack me on a personal level like this. Keep things civil.
    Lyas Tyrell likes this.
  14. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Well I would walk five hundred miles
    and I would walk five hundred more
    just to be the man who walked a thousand miles
    to fall down at the dungeon door
  15. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Also really fun on pvp servers where you gotta cross the other faction's territory and get camped by some high level and then get kicked from group cause you're taking too long or people get pissed and quit the group.

Still remember in wow wanting to do Scarlet Monstery and having to walk a 10.000 miles from Wetlands through an area with high level mobs who would kill you a couple of times, then go through the horde non-contested territory and then arrive at SM to summon the others IF you were lucky and there weren't 10 horde guys waiting to enter the dungeon and ganking you as soon as you touched the summon stone. And ofc the odd level 60 camping the summon stone and ganking alliance lowbies coming to the dungeon. Meanwhile, for the horde to do the corespondent dungeon aka Gnomerengan, all they had to do was take the boat and then use a portal but let's leave vanilla wow's blatant horde bias alone.

Yeah, I'd rather skip all that.
    Aheadache likes this.
  16. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Then you... DUN DUN DUN...

go together!

(or not play on a pvp server)
    Lethality and Khrusky like this.
  17. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

I accidentally posted this in the "new info" thread. Hope the repost isn't against the rules.

I can see only two ways to prevent dungeon-grinding to cap.

1. Make dungeons hard. Not "spend five hours wiping on the first boss" hard, but at least require strategy, tactics, and intelligence to complete. WoW dungeons used to be like this; people actually died, groups actually wiped. Usually on trash. I didn't like the reliance on CC, as it made Mages practically required for every dungeon, but the current "herd and burn" for entire rooms of mobs is ridiculous. A return to grabbing two packs equals a wipe would be welcome.

2. Make them a poor source of XP. You shouldn't go into dungeons for levelling; that's what the open world is for. Dungeons are for better gear, completing some interesting storyline quests, and doing engaging group content. I'm not saying remove XP entirely, but if a dungeon takes 45 mins to an hour, but rewards less than an hour's worth of questing XP, then it'll be less attractive for levelling, especially if combined with point 1. I would go so far as to say wrap most of a dungeon's XP in the quests associated with it, so the primary point of doing it over and over is either social (doing the dungeon with friends) or gear. Additionally, it makes any gear you get from that dungeon last longer, as you don't outlevel it before it even drops.

Both of these will be difficult. There will be the inevitable whining of "it's too HAAaaaAaaAaAAAARD!" Or worse, "WoW isn't like this!" The devs will have to stick to what they say to make this work. I have hope, however, that this game will deliver. The LFD will work only if dungeons are an end in themselves, rather than a shortcut to quick and easy levelling. If that's the case, dungeon warping shouldn't be an issue either way.
    Naunet, Acidblood and Haversham like this.
  18. Zybak

Zybak Cupcake-About-Town

I think you should have to walk, porting everywhere makes it feel like you're not in a world.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  19. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

after playing a Warlock in WoW for all the years without auto-port I say port us there. i had to make my way to the dungeon, wait for someone else to get there and then summon. I always asked "Why the F*** are yall not running too?? If I can run here, you can too!" because, why can't I sit in the city at the AH and wait for yall to get there?? Why not start running as soon as the group is full, and keep trying to get there until someone can summon??? It just pissed me off to no end that people would say "oh we have a warlock! I'm gonna afk while yall run there then yall can just summon me!" NO! BAD PEOPLE...BAD!! You had plenty of time before while we were forming a group to get <REDACTED> done, no going afk for you, or else you don't get a summon and we'll find another!! I actually started saying, "oh i ran out of shards...darn...you'll just have to walk!"

sorry....bad memories of stupid people not wanting to run just because i "could" summon them. the worst offenders left/were kicked from the group 'cause they didn't want to wait anymore for a summon that wasn't coming and they refused to run (usually they were rude right off the bat and i didn't wanna deal with rude A-holes).
    Ianpact and Vembumees like this.
  20. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

On the other hand, Kat, it means you're losing a valuable filtering tool (for filtering tools ;p ). When you warp everyone in, it means you have no pre-screening time for determining if your party members are jerks, lazy, or otherwise undesirable.