1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

LFG Tool, a Poll

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Lyas Tyrell, Apr 5, 2013.

?

If you are trying to group with just your server, should it warp you to instance?

1. Yeah, why not

107 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. No, it's my server I'll walk

124 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I may have mis-spoke there, terribly sorry about that. Most of the arguments you have made, have been made somewhere in similar threads. They begin to run together after a bit.

I think the general consensus is for pvp servers (not attempting to speak for rp-pvp here mind you) which are same server queuing is to teleport near the dungeon to add some sort of travel time for two reasons. One is to make the world feel like a world, and that dungeon exists in that world. The other is dynamic player events, whether it be settler oriented or not.

Sorry about that.

That is because you assume there can be nothing more fun or interesting that could be going on at the moment, what if your queue popped and one of your team-mates is yelling for help because they're in the middle of some huge flash-mob fight in <wherever>. Or you get into your group and you notice the settler in your group starting to set up cannons because they see enemy players in the distance. Can't happen if you just fall into the dungeon.
  2. Chosenxeno

Chosenxeno Cupcake-About-Town

No offense but a lot of people have grown up since the days of EQ and Vanilla WOW. We have jobs and families now. People don't want to waste my time in a game doing something as trivial as walking to an instance. People have kids coming home and dinners to start. Convenient should not always translate into lazy. Sometimes it really is just a case of needing things to be more convenient.

Very few people share your thoughts on that loss of an epic feeling. There's still plenty of yelling on Vent/TS/Mumble ect., when you finally get that internet dragon down, whether you teleported there or not. If the Majority felt that way the last 3-4 open World MMOs would not have it. Walking to an instance is as obsolete as Corpse runs and De-leveling.
  3. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Hey Chosenxeno,

I've got a simpler answer to anyone who's arguing for this type of post.

It's this:
    http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/immersion-lfg-community.2806/

Feel free to send people here. The best solution I can think of is give us (yes I'm one of em) a server. You don't want this gameplay, and it won't hurt you to lose it.
  4. Chosenxeno

Yea I know Blind. I just got mad when I saw "Lazy".
  5. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

That type of post generally comes from someone reading the poll and first post, and skimming the rest and isn't up to speed. I've tried to start cluing people in, to get them up to speed. Also, a lot of the crowd that wants to force players to walk to the instance is elitist, and won't accept any other answer. It comes down to completely different goals for gameplay though. One that doesn't really meet in the middle ever, and I think should simply be separated. Both parties can play the same game and be happy that way.
  6. Laine

Laine New Cupcake

Perhaps "lazy" wasn't exactly what I was trying to get at. What I was trying to say is both parties can be satisfied with a happy medium, i.e. making the travel more accessible and shorter than what we're used to in past games. I just think being able to magically teleport is a bit of an immersion breaker.
    Joukehainen and Dnevnoy like this.
  7. Furor

Furor Cupcake

So, serious question: Do you play in 1st or 3rd person?
  8. Laine

Laine New Cupcake

Am I about to be slammed on breaking immersion for playing in 3rd person? Just wondering.
  9. Dnevnoy

Dnevnoy Cupcake-About-Town

I'm sorry to nitpick but can we please stop this nonsense of "very few people" this, "the majority" that. Perhaps your perception of the majority doesn't quite match up with the reality. After all despite the many assertions that pretty much no one wants to run anywhere the poll indicates that the majority of people in this thread are in fact concerned about immersion and things feeling epic.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  10. Furor

Furor Cupcake

Oh, you. So smart. I wasn't too obvious, was I?

I think it stands to reason that this thread, and this forum, aren't exactly representative of the overall audience for MMORPGs. The type of people that are interested in a game that's barely had any hype, hasn't announced a date for open beta, isn't that close to release, etc., and will also be willing to post/participate in a forum that takes their time away from other more pressing activities.. is probably weighted towards the more extreme spectrum.
  11. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

I've already explained why this shouldn't be so.

I really would question a claim to a "majority" in a poll with a sample size of only 193 and a percentage difference of less than 5%. That's well within standard deviation range, considering how absolutely miniscule the sample size is. It is far more reasonable to conclude from the data gathered so far that the split is fairly even.
    Rumze likes this.
  12. Dnevnoy

Dnevnoy Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not claiming a majority I'm just putting forth my opinions and asking other to do the same. Even with the small and biased sample size I think its a stretch to claim a vast majority when the poll says, as you say, it's about even.
  13. Laine

Laine New Cupcake

I'll excuse the slightly condescending tone. Anyways, I've never heard of anyone playing MMOs in 1st person unless they're RPing or taking a SS.

Yeah I saw, I was just tossing in my 2 cents. Ultimately though the best option for the issue is to throw features in that make both sides happy, since it seems the debate is almost split 50/50.
  14. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

The joy of a DF!

[​IMG]
    Ianpact, BlindSear and Joukehainen like this.
  15. cecilandblues

cecilandblues Cupcake

Quite alright.

Nah, I assume there are always interesting things going on throughout the game, but the thing I want to be doing is a 5 man dungeon. I see battlegrounds, housing, dungeons, raids, arenas and warplots as individual games seperate from the open world. I do enjoy the open world and I love participating in it, especially when it is rich and full of dynamic events and faction flux.

I totally support a player's right to be immersed in the game they play. RP communities are wonderful things. But if we are talking immersion breaks, why are you joining the queue in the first place? Isn't it immersion breaking to stand in a line with 1000 players for your turn to finish a dungeon? For this aspect of play I feel like a guild/circle is the right answer not further complicating the group finder tool.

PS Megaman has teleported to the start of every dungeon since 1987 and no one complains. ;)
  16. Chosenxeno

I find it hard to believe that someone would say "Killing this boss for the 1st time is cool.. sucks that we teleported here though". That scenario seems unrealistic. I stand by my claims that the majority of people do not care if they get teleported in. This poll wouldn't even exist if that were true. LFD is how many years old now? It's a time-tested system that works for The MAJORITY of the entire MMObase(Not just on "the forums"). If it was unpopular all the MMOs after WOW wouldn't have it. It would be an afterthought. Instead it's the 1 or 1a most requested feature.

After the debacle with SWTOR, you'd think people would already understand that LFD has become a make or break feature.
    Rumze likes this.
  17. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I must agree that one of the reasons swtor didnt do well was the lack of the a dungeon finder ( in addition to a lots of other things but dungeon finder was definitely one of them ). Such a shame.
    In the end , I do want Wildstar to do well.
    Chosenxeno likes this.
  18. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

For "The joy of no DF!" increase the length of the comic by 12 panels, and instead of having the character waiting for an automatic queue, have them constantly pasting "LFM TANK LBRS NO NOOBS" into general chat for 4 hours, having to answer whispers from several rogues and a level 20 character, repeating themselves regularly over the spam of gold sellers and 20 other people pasting the same thing.

Then at the end of those 12 panels after the tank joins, you need another 12 panels for the journey to LBRS which will involve 2 people not knowing where BRM is, at least 3 people dying to either PvP players or trash mobs on the lower entrance before the portal multiple times, at least 1 person quitting after the 3 hours you have spent spamming general chat and travelling to the dungeon because they have other things to do and can't wait any longer for you. Followed by another hour of general chat spam in order to replace them. Then you get into the dungeon and find that the guy who entered the portal first and hasn't said anything since the group formed is just sitting there afk in the doorway because he's been waiting for so long, then he goes offline.

Then you decide to call it a night and disband the group because holy <REDACTED> why are you running LBRS in the first place, that dungeon was <REDACTED>.
    Furor likes this.
  19. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

And the compromise for teleporting near the dungeon isn't acceptable for you but you're going to use the longer queue for the same server? I feel like that's an unlikely scenario to go on for long that you'll be willing to wait an hour or more just to queue every time you want to run a dungeon, if you want to run a dungeon right now. It seems to contradict itself, if you want to run a dungeon, it's unacceptable for anything else to happen on the way to the dungeon, but you'll wait an hour or more no problem doing whatever while you wait to do the dungeon, which shouldn't be sidetracked?

I think cross server queuing should teleport straight to the dungeon, or at least a version of it should.

So first of all the RP community seems to have accepted the teleportation outside of their gameplay, as OOC it seems. I've heard this from multiple RP server players.

Also, if implemented correctly teleportation is an acceptable immersion in sci-fi, as teleportation may simply exist.[/quote]
  20. Chosenxeno

Quick question. Wouldn't not being able to teleport in a Sci-Fi MMO ruin immersion? :)