1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

LFG Tool, a Poll

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Lyas Tyrell, Apr 5, 2013.

?

If you are trying to group with just your server, should it warp you to instance?

1. Yeah, why not

107 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. No, it's my server I'll walk

124 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. Laine

Laine New Cupcake

This. IF implemented properly.
  2. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Depends on if teleportation is allowed in the sci-fi mmo. Depends on what physics are involved, and how far in the "future" it is...
    Chosenxeno likes this.
  3. Chosenxeno

Chosenxeno Cupcake-About-Town

It's a Sci-Fi MMO. People should be teleporting. I agree. I support Blind on what he/she is trying to do here.

The "Lazy" comment st me off a bit because usually when you are waiting in a Queue you are farming or buying stuff for Raid. Everyone isn't sitting somewhere AFK. LFD can also be used to make you more productive. I can farm while I'm waiting for a Dungeon group to be put together. Instead of, not doing any thing but spamming "LFG! LFG!! LFG!!!" in chat, while some Druid farms up herbs and ore that should be mine!!(Spoiler Alert: I'm actually that Druid haha).
  4. Chosenxeno

I liked this post because it's a great try haha. They have full blown space Travel. A teleporter is nothing :)
    Rumze likes this.
  5. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I still think teleportation straight to the dungeon detracts from possible open world content. Yes, it's possible to create this open world content from content in the world, but it's not nearly as organic. Meaning, the players in the open world will simply stop when they feel like it, because there's nothing keeping them there, while the pvp in front of dungeons always has the pull of the dungeon. Also parties of all sorts could be there at the same time, making for natural content, instead of having to wait for the correct time, or planning of an event.
  6. Chosenxeno

We live in a world where people on PVP servers whine about getting ganked(Yes. REALLY.). I fully support it on PVP servers. You shouldn't have rolled on a PVP server if you don't like PVP.
    BlindSear likes this.
  7. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

To assume you can duplicate a sentient entity and simultaneously destroy it elsewhere? It's also hard to locate the person, zero in at long range (probably from a satellite) pick that person up and instantly place them elsewhere. This is speaking of course in reality. Also, how would the teleportation work, does it go as fast as light speed? Maybe the speed of sound? Also, if there's teleportation in a game, why do you have to walk all over the planet instead of just teleporting everywhere, what are the parameters? There's plenty of reasons that teleportation is harder than space travel, even full blown space travel. Also, from a game development standing, it's important to make teleportation seem like something of substance. Otherwise, the argument "why can't I just teleport up there? Why do I have to run? Why can't I just teleport in and teleport out?" Reducing immersion for everyone.

So... I'll uphold, depending on what rules are in place in the physics of wildstar, teleportation may or may not be possible yet. Or at least trivial teleportation. It may be only worth using for space exploration, due to energy costs, etc.
  8. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

I didn't see anyone teleporting around in Star Wars :)
    BlindSear likes this.
  9. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

If the definition of teleportation is simply moving "very fast" at distance, Star Wars has light speed, which will be teleportation of starships. But that's nitpicking, and there is no personal teleportation in Star Wars. :p
  10. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Erm spellslingers have a spell that lets them teleport around in combat from what has been said.

And not to mention there will be hearth like items that take you to your house. Not sure if its done by spaceship or what, but you can easily just add an animation/loading screen that shows you being picked up by a ship.
  11. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Battlestar Galactica (all versions) has space travel, Farscape has space travel, Firefly has space travel, Babylon Five has space travel; you know what else they have in common, no teleportation. In games and fiction teleportation is considered a higher tech level than FTL. This was true even in Star Trek, where they had FTL long before they had teleportation.
  12. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Depends on how this works, and where the house can drop you off. It's possible your house simply can pull you towards it, and there's a taxi to get you back out into the world. Also, spellslinger's teleport is linked to magic and short distance. So, as I've argued already depends on the parameters of the teleportation. Unlimited and infinite teleportation makes for poor immersion.
  13. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

I think people are getting a little hung up on the semantics of immersion. For me, when I am thinking about immersion in an MMO , the question is less "does it make sense?" and more "does it feel like a living world"?

You could cook up an explanation for teleportation in any game (it's the future, it's a magic spell, wizard portals, etc.) but the explanation isn't what's hurting the immersion factor, it's that teleporting everywhere removes the grand feeling of scale that (to me) is a vital element in an MMO. Instead you can just sit in one spot and play the game like a lobby game, without needing to interact with the world around you or the players on your server. There's nothing wrong with lobby games, but I want to play an MMO.
  14. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Well... check out the link in my signature, you're interested in that.
  15. Chosenxeno

Maybe that's why they are all considered inferior series in comparison to Star Trek. There was no "beam me up Scotty" Meme lol

Anyway. I am speaking of Science Fiction as a genre. Not just TV shows. You had Dr. Who and Sliders traveling through Dimensions for example. Both are considered Sci-Fi :)

I also can't help but notice that Stargate is missing from your list. :D
  16. Chosenxeno

The misconception is that people are "standing around and waiting" for a queue to pop(like in that over-exaggerated comic). I usually am farming materials while in Queue(Which ironically makes me recall a funny PVP story haha). It's a convenient way for people to get more done in less time.

It takes away the tedium of traveling to A for the Dungeon and then having to head to B for the most valuable materials. Also, if typing "LFM bla bla...." in a channel is not playing the game. I'm now farming in the time I would spend pre-LFD, spamming in a channel.

The sense of "scale" in any MMO is most noticeable while leveling. Once you're at the cap you've basically seen every Zone. I don't see how LFD affects the sense of scale. The World will seem either really big or really small by the time you've hit cap.
    Calsic and Rumze like this.
  17. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

So are Heinlein’s Tunnel in the sky, Ringo’s Into the looking glass, and Burroughs’s A Princess of Mars; which really are not TV shows, unlike your examples. Now that we have added more names to the list I’m still failing to see how they add to your point, which was full blown space Travel = A teleporter. Interestingly enough the show I missed (Probably because I see it as so/so entertainment, especially after SGU),
    would probably back up my point as well, if we had some type of time line of the four races. They are the ones who developed the tech in the SG verse, everybody else (including the Tau'ri) is scavengers who found Ancient tech and were able to fire it up. Some of the races, such as the Tau'ri, were able to make their own versions of this tech, such as Naquadah Generators and FTL Drives, but none of them have created their own version of matter transportation.
  18. Chosenxeno

I think teleportation is being made the goat. The problem is Developers aren't putting hostile factions close to one another. they have to put hostile faction in a distance where somone might wanna start trouble lol. Like That Logging Camp near Ashenvale. They were so close in distance that you wanted to harass the other faction.

They need to make binding Hearths(Recalls ect.) somewhat more attractive/interesting in outlying areas. Perhaps, some sort of buff if you are "binded" to a particular area. Right now people just bind their Hearths to the Major Cities. If I'm getting a 10% PVP buff(and/or rewards) for "binding" to "hub A" that's not to far from a hostile city I might wanna start some trouble. (Especially if it's obvious the other faction guy isn't hehehe)

If I'm getting a 10% PVE buff(and/or rewards) for helping low levels in a Low Level area that I'm binded to, I might be willing to help out a bit more.

Developers have to create those incentives and opportunities. Let's get people out of those major cities and into the world.

The system works by giving people a second binding option. The Areas would rotate daily between paths and/or hubs so people just don't bind to the high level areas(PVPers would haha).

Example: Players binded to X to receive a PVP bonus of(?) for every kill in "Zone Name". Players binded to receive a bonus of (?) for every low level player they help "in Zone Name" " with Dungeon" "the Quest"

PVP:
    How would PVPers benefit if they can just bind to the second Area you say? There will be people looking to start trouble regardless of which area you are binded to( since both Faction have members that are binded to 1 specific hub only). Developer's just have to make it interesting. Part of the reason to participate is: The hubs rotate so you need to take advantage when your binded hub is the one that's active in you want to reap the rewards. Other players not receiving the bonus might still show up just for the fighting lol

The other issue I forsee with this is people binding based on Proximity to the opposite faction. That's on the Developer's to make sure they keep the spacing between Hostile factions interesting. Either way fighting is gonna break out lol

PVE:
    Maybe some buff that stacks for helping Lowbies? Some currency for loot? Loot extra materials if your binded area buff is up? Since materials are usually spread out amongst leveling zones, maybe you have a higher chance of looting high-level ore or seeds in a safer area?

You can change your 2nd binding but there needs to be a clever CD to thwart exploiters.

Sorry for the long Post Blind. I really think the binding only to Major cities is the biggest problem. Teleportation is fine. It's just how you use it.
    Rumze and Soylentgreen like this.
  19. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

So, the binding idea is interesting, but why not simply give a 10% PvE boost for helping a lowbie regardless of the area. This also seems like it would just mean the higher level players will simply just do the lowbie's quest for them... While that seems like it's nice, if the lowbie attempts to ask a questions, after a while of being forced to help lowbies, players will simply blow them off, and get annoyed.

Similarly why not have PvP bonus for engaging in PvP combat? Because then a player could simply just gank while he or she is queuing for a battleground or whatever.

I think the secondary bind point will end up being the closest point to a raid and the largest city for most players on PvE and mainly ignored on PvP. This is because players would see the ability to quickly get to an AH and the raid instance are the most likely two places, unless they're bleeding edge and need every little bonus possible.
  20. Chosenxeno

Just giving a bonus for PVPing is not compelling. Based on the reward things could become to lopsided. Also, people would only be hanging out in the high level areas. I think my system gets people engaging in PVP all over the place. You might be a Capped PVEer that was there helping Lowbies in that area and suddenly, you're in the fight with 50 f your faction lol XD

As for ganking lowbies, obviously no game would reward that. If you are high level and you get ganked it's on you lol

Some of what you said could be true for PVE. I think it's a matter of how compelling the incentives are for both. I do believe with the rotating hubs, Raid Guilds won't be able to make helping 5 lowbies a must if you want to Raid. If I'm going to get that stacking buff for helping lowbies I might venture out there since it's a once a week thing. This also means that the stacking buff(if they went in this direction) wouldn't become a "crutch".

As far as doing their quest for them I think helping is helping. At least they aren't in those low level areas just to power level a buddy or profession for a change:)

I think there needs to be a seperation between Casual PvEers and End Game PvEers when PVE is discussed too. A casual might be more willing to bind where they can help Lowbies(This is also a HUGE increase to the server's social aspect).

On the other hand, raiders might be more willing to bind where ever they best materials are for their profession or near a "dailies" hub(You can't expect them to be involved in every little aspect when there are bosses to kill.) Bring back those buffs you got from Lootng Onyxia's head. This gets them involved too. (This also increases the server social aspect. "OMG someone downed......" "Nice we've got the buff")
    Rumze likes this.