1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Looks like there are no Chua females :(

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Teerack, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Teerack

Teerack Cupcake-About-Town

It's really lame and dumb, but it looks like Chua are going to be male only for no reason.
  2. Perigon

Perigon Cupcake

No.

Chua are neutral (not male) in character creation as the idea is that other races can't tell the difference. Only Chua know the gender difference of their race. You can make a Chua look feminine or masculine in character creation though, so it makes no difference apart from a lore point of view.
  3. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Why is it lame and dumb? Also this was expected even before we know their names were Chua.....

Although the Chua are still male/female I'd expect something like this to happen when you come across another race from different planets.....you really think each race would have males/females???? Ever thought about the possibility of them being hermafrodiet?

I think it is a great way to get that more ''alien'' feeling.

So again, please give us a reason why you think it's lame and dumb.
  4. Tayle

Tayle Cupcake

I know this is their intent but as of now the Chua features you can choose and the sound they make look/sound masculine, atleast to me. So it's no wonder people think that. I hope they get in some more options though ^^
    Roda, Irullan and Huffle Puff like this.
  5. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

inb4 chua babies are literally hairballs, and are vomited up instead of birthed.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

We have plans with a hairball design!
    [​IMG]
  7. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

My Chua will sooooo be "Female"!!! NO ONE CAN TAKE HER AWAY FROM ME OMG OMG OMG!!!!!! *cough cough* Ahem, sorry... The Lore states that only Chua can tell the difference between male and female of their species - though hopefully they WILL add lots more feminine options to the Chua....from what streams have shown it's not much :( /cries
    Teerack, Tayle and Huffle Puff like this.
  8. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

I'm just going to make one that has a handlebar mustache and a mohawk and name her Pat. "What do you mean I look like a male?!"
    Kataryna likes this.
  9. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

The last time I saw a character creation video the Chua gender options were labeled "Chua?" and "Chua!"

It just fits with the Dominion. Even the Cassians don't want to stare at a hideous chua long enough to figure out the difference. Even the Devs become frightened by having to ponder the evil subject for too long!
  10. Teerack

Teerack Cupcake-About-Town

You do realize that's just an effortless excuse.... They could have thrown out any one sentence as an explanation. If they had made the females they wouldn't have needed to bother inserting this sentence of "lore"

It's lame because they will have the same voice overs/animations.

They gave a gender option to ROBOTS.... your whole argument is moot.
  11. Nayukhuut`Chet

Nayukhuut`Chet Cupcake

I would hold off on thinking that there arn't more female orientated options for a bit yet. I do not think that all the character creation options have been released. Looking at the live streams and the press youtubes it seems like some races have far more options than others, so I imagine there is still some balancing/additions to be had. Though I do agree otherwise. SO FAR the chua look pretty obviously male, but who knows.
    Huffle Puff likes this.
  12. Diagas

Diagas Cupcake

That's a bit disappointing that if people wanted a to make a female chua that they'd have to endure masculine VO's. I'm not sure if that'll sit too well. If they wanted to drop one gender for a race, they should've dropped female Granok from Exiles to make it even.
  13. Merganser

Merganser New Cupcake

If you're expecting every alien species to have huge exposed breasts like on your avatar just to be defined as female, you are probably going to be disappointed. For all we know there is none of the extreme sexual dimorphism seen in most MMO races, they have entirely different plumbing, and rely entirely on pheromones rather than appearance or vocal differences.
    Irullan likes this.
  14. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

From a biological lore stand point I personally like it. In just about every MMO we see a normal (well, gamer normal) sexual dimorphism to a drastic extent. In this case we don't, and I think it's a clever explanation. It doesn't matter that you feel like it's a cop-out, its as valid of an explanation as anything else they could come up with. Unless you can somehow show that they just didn't want to make female version, thus the lore? We see this quite often in many species of our own world, why not in a game? I guess I just don't see the point of making up fictional sentient beings if they're all going to end up sharing similar characteristics.

Also, why would a species so lacking in morphological phenotype between the sexes show a difference in their voices? It fits the rest of their background to not have vocal differences between the sexes.

You don't need to even have to point to alien species to get a handle of this, it occurs in our own world often enough. Most people couldn't differentiate a male from a female in species we see on a daily basis let alone one we've never seen before.
    BisonBeeblebrox likes this.
  15. Alverant

Alverant Cupcake

That way you can make a Chua pop singer named Justin Beaver.
    Irullan and Mondasin like this.
  16. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

So my whole argument about how a race can be genderless anyway, is moot because robots do have a gender option?

You do know that robots are made by others? Which means if those creators want to make both male and female robots then robots do have a gender option. Just take a quick look into the robots which are being made in Japan...you'll see numerous of male AND female robots. Seeing as how the Mechari are made by others aswell I don't think it's that weird.

Now the Chua are just another ''alien'' race, in which case there is ALWAYS the possibility of them not having a gender at all! Now in WS they have you just can't tell, which I think they did so people wouldn't whine as much about not having a gender option.

Tell me:

Do you think a race in an MMO should ALWAYS have a gender option? Cause it sure seems like you do...
  17. Borz

Borz Cupcake-About-Town

Some people just need their "I play female because I don't want to stare at male butt all day" option. Even if butt in question belongs to a Chua.
  18. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

Genders look obviously different - people complain.
    Genders look the same - people also complain.

They can't please everyone, there are other races you can play.
    There are no voices in combat and Chua emotes haven't been shown yet(?) so they might as well have some androgynous sounding voice. The NPCs have various voices so there's no problem with some having feminine ones. What's wrong with same animations for both genders? Especially in case of a race of maniacal hamsters? Honestly, it would be nothing weird even if all races had same animations between male and female.
    Mechari looks are matter of the Eldan design. They were made to manipulate Cassians and other organics - having gender differences is beneficial for them. Some people may find it attractive and easier to relate to, thus easier to trust.
    BisonBeeblebrox likes this.
  19. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

I do remember an interview with one of the Devs that talked about "feminine" options for Chua. He said they would be included. Although he might be referring to the fact that they can be little pink footballs. ;)
  20. BisonBeeblebrox

BisonBeeblebrox Cupcake

I'd rather have the Chua without the same humanesque sexual dimorphism given to the other races. The females of most kind-of-human-kind-of-not fantasy races are often differentiated from their male counterparts by sexiness. Hourglass figure, busty, long legs, etc. It would be kind of really strange if our current Chua were given child-bearing hips and little hamster boobies because enough people demanded sexy Hamtaro.

Weird looks aside, we can't immediately tell the difference between genders of rodents in nature. Hell, we can't do that with most animals that have closer genetic similarity to ourselves. Added to that, the whole personality surrounding the Chua is chaos and mystery. Making them so different from the other races that they don't even have genders kind of adds to the effect. It gets the player thinking: why no discernable genders? Do they not have them or are they just indistinguishable by the more humanoid races? Do they even need genders in the first place to procreate? And while we're at it, how does that happen? The weirdness and unique customization make Chua all the more fun to play.