1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

[Massively] Nexus Telgraph: Raiding in Wildstar...

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by whocares8310, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whocares8310

whocares8310 New Cupcake

ARTICLE:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/10/the-nexus-telegraph-raiding-in-wildstar-is-its-own-creature/

My Thoughts:

"If you remove the carrot of "all the stuff worth doing is locked behind a raid wall," some people will still raid, but you can give that carrot to people who like doing other things just as easily."

So the risk/effort reward should be even if this ever gets implemented.

Solo/other things should have rewards of equivalent value to the effort required.

Raids should almost always be more rewarding, you figure having to herd 40 cats rather than just yourself should reward more powerful or beneficial items. Especially when only a select number of people from the raid get gear per run. you build up "standings" within your group and then you should be rewarded accordingly.

Gear locked behind raiding should benefit raiders and be the best stuff out there bar none (not including PVP specific gear).

N.B.
    I don't know why they had a the guy writing the article if he doesn't like raiding and hasn't experienced any wildstar raids yet. He just talks about how unhappy raiders are for the beginning of the article. He goes on to mention all of the other available content as an alternative to raiding. If he wants raiding removed or all of the rewards to be normalized, why not go play Guild Wars 2
    Irullan likes this.
  2. John

John "That" Cupcake

I hate the premise of that guy's argument. "Non-raiders deserve equally compelling content." No. None of us deserve anything. The game is what it is and if it features raiding than its probably not the right game for non-raiders. Just like if you don't like sports you're probably not gonna enjoy Madden. Let the game be what it is, don't ask the devs to cater to every single person on the planet.
    o336ws, ArdentSun, Brexton and 8 others like this.
  3. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I'm going to go with brand new poster, cross-linking for hits on that site for 500 Alex.

Edit - nope, I missed the date, so I guess thats not it, damn..lost the 500.

:p
  4. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

No where in "massively multiplayer online" does the word "raiding" exist, and just because raiding exists in a game (which, it exists in every game because its a cheap skinner box) doesn't mean non-raiders shouldn't play.

Because hell, if non-raiders couldn't play a game with raiding we might as well not play MMO's at all in this market.

We pay 15 bucks a month like the rest of you, and we deserve our content just as much as you do.

tl;dr MMO doesnt stand for "massive raiding game" and the recent obsession with trying to please every needy raider has been the thorn in the side of every mmo since WoW.
    Vhael, Gronky, Apostate and 2 others like this.
  5. Woke

Woke Cupcake

So you want Solo Content PvE to give the same rewards as 40 man raids? I have such high hopes for this game but the idiocy that people whine about.....make Solo Content rewards the same as Raid Content rewards and see how quick this game will die.

Hardcore Raider's Gear is the same as a Hardcore PvPer's Rating. Take it away and you will lose them and basically only have casual raiders like WoW has since they released Cata and they will have to lower the difficulty on the raids for those casuals.
    Milamilou likes this.
  6. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Why is it that most raids in games now only offer a reward based on this? That only a few people out of forty ever actually receive an award from items?
  7. Woke

Woke Cupcake

For the replay incentive factor.
    Brexton likes this.
  8. John

John "That" Cupcake

No you don't. You deserve whatever the devs decide they want to be in their game, just like everyone else. What if FPS players complained they "deserved" a FPS combat style and complained until devs changed the entire game to accommodate them? What if people who hate questing wanted to play and demanded that the entire leveling process be redone so they can level without questing?

If a game wants to cater to hardcore raiders they have every right to do that. Neither raiders nor non-raiders are entitled to anything. If a game is raid-centric and you don't like to raid, you are far better off playing a different game than demanding the current game change itself to suit your own personal tastes.
    Brexton, Outlaw, Livnthedream and 6 others like this.
  9. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

This game caters to both the raider and the soloer. However, Carbine has stated several times that Raiding will be the highest level of content, and will receive the greatest rewards. They have stated that soloers will have progression however it will be slower, and not as rewarding.

The hate you have for raiders is pretty uncalled for by the way.
    Outlaw, Rogosh, Milamilou and 3 others like this.
  10. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

And what if there was an online multiplayer game where people grouped together to do quests where people complained so much about having giant "hardcore" 40 person boss battles that the devs crafted their entire end-game around it while ignoring everyone else.

raiding is one part of the entire mmo experience, and it's definitely not the cornerstone of it.

This conversation is cute and all, but I guess it's a shame Wildstar has already promised raiding, team and solo end-game content. It's almost as if they want everyone to play this game!

The nerve of those people.
    Apostate, Eliat_kuni and Rumze like this.
  11. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

I don't see how pointing out that raiders aren't the only players in an mmo and don't deserve 100% of the endgame content is "hating" them.

"amused" at how unironically entitled some raiders act? probably "hate"? never

hate requires work on my part
    Apostate, Rogosh and Rumze like this.
  12. whocares8310

whocares8310 New Cupcake

This. The solo content should be tuned to a certain gear level and reward a similar gear level and the raiding content should be tuned to a different gear "level" reward a that different gear "level"
    Zwipe likes this.
  13. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

Then lets replace the word hate with bashing.

Like I said in my post this game does cater to all players, and no one is saying that it shouldn't. However, raiders are just as important to MMOs as the soloers, pvpers. They all have a place within a MMO.

Raiding creates longevity to a game, because it creates time commitment, and community. Soloing is done solo obviously, and is usually something that can be completed quickly, or can be done over a period of time. Allowing players who don't want to interact with a lot of players can do this stuff, and have something to do.
    Zwipe likes this.
  14. salazar

salazar Cupcake-About-Town

This thread is going places.
    Veckna, Dragon and Zapp Brannigan like this.
  15. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Its also a new and exciting topic, no?

ya....no. :(
  16. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

That's.....exactly what I'm saying. Thought I wasn't focusing solely (heh) on soloing. Teaming with teams of 4 or 6 or 8 or what have you isn't "raiding" but it's still playing. Like you said, raiders, teammates, soloers, pvpers are all equally important, which means that the "end game" should be just as diverse as they are. The endgame shouldn't be just a giant funnel that turns everyone into raiders for convenience of future expansions

But, like we all know Wildstar already has that covered with solo, small team, and raid elder content so...pre-not-crisis averted then!

Yay. *golf clap*
    Apostate and Rumze like this.
  17. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

This happens in every thread .

Raiding will have its own gear progression and rewards.
    Pvp will have its own gear progression and rewards comparable to raiding.
    Soloing and small group will have its own gear progression and rewards that will not be at the same level as the highest tiers of raiding and pvp but will most likely be a tier behind.

You will be able to use the cutting edge gear you get in your path to compete in other elder game paths but at a tier behind.

It takes all times to make the community to work. etc etc.
    Tomorrow should be a big wildstar reveal day ( hopefully ) so we will have new information to chew over.
    Mudfin and AcidBaron like this.
  18. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

That's kind of something that draws me away from it. Devoting hours to something, then not having a reward at the end is kind of counter productive to me. It's like, maybe it's a difficult raid so say a 70% chance to succeed, then you might have maybe a 10% chance to actually get something from the raid, and maybe a 3% chance that it's actually something you could use or don't already have.
    Apostate likes this.
  19. Woke

Woke Cupcake

Yeah, I see your point but the thing is if you don't have the reply incentive the majority of players will get bored and move on especially if there is any kind of Sub Model. Usually though you get at least one gear piece per Week of Raiding. Most endgame Raid content has 5-10 bosses that drop 2-5 pieces of gear per boss with usually 2-3 current Raids until the next batch get released. I personally Raid for the challenge of progressing through content and the Gear is more secondary but still needed to Reward Raiders.

There is some luck involved, especially if you are a min/max player and you are chasing a certain item. It is all about chasing the "Carrots." If anything I would say consider the Gear more of a secondary factor. You will enjoy Raiding more. Try to focus more on one of these factors as your main focus. Progressing, Social, Fun, Challenging, etc... Gear being the main focus usually ends with drama.
  20. Dragon

Dragon Cupcake

I'm not sure what he means by gear that's "worth having" here. Awesome looking? Powerful? If the former, I'm totally in favor of having lots of interesting and awesome-looking armor sets and costume items (that look different from raid rewards) which are gained through solo and small group play. If the latter, well...I'll toss out the same argument devs generally make, even though it largely goes ignored: if you're not raiding, you don't really need powerful raid gear, at least not at the same level.

I genuinely hope there are unique weapons and armor for hardcore raiders and high-end PvPers. At the very least, not the recolored look-alike nonsense WoW has been pulling for a while now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.