1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

[Massivley]The Nexus Telegraph: The dark side of WildStar's Exiles

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by ObliviousPrime, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

intresting article by Eliot Lefebvre from massivley that shows that the exiles are not necessarily good and shiny.

Check it out here

Kirathis, Kurik Lein and Fate Flyer like this.
  2. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Awesome, thanks for sharing this!

I definitely was intrigued by that title, as it made it sound like the tables were turned a bit. :)

That's the thing though, isn't it? On both sides, whether you like to think you and your people are pure and good or not, there's always someone behind the scenes pulling the strings or with a concealed weapon to take care of business when it becomes necessary or when push comes to shove and for the overall "greater good."

This, exactly. As much as the Exiles probably would like to think they're above the Dominion in many ways, they really probably share more in common than both sides care to admit.

The end justifies the means...
  3. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

Yeah That is what I was thinking about the game a few months ago when Carbine said that there is no good vs evil or light vs dark in this game. They are all grey. They have different motivations and that is the difference between the two factions.
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  4. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

The Exiles found Nexus. The Dominion came to take it away from them.

What more is there to be known? ;)
  5. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

My argument is that unlike WoW which may have a 'cartoony' look, but doesn't FEEL 'cartoony'; Wildstar set up a very cartoony tone both in visuals and in 'feel'.

A big part of that tone, I feel, is a very clear black-and-white goodguys vs badguys scenario. In Star Wars Episode IV, yeah you could make a case that hypothetically the rebels do some pretty scumbag things offscreen. The point is that we're never shown it. The filmmakers wanted to tell us a story where the rebels are clearly the good guys; just like so far, everything in Wildstar points to the Exiles being 'the good guys' without any shades of grey. :coffee:

I'm curious to see if this is going to be the tone in the game itself or if we WILL get into 'darker' aspects of the Exiles ingame. :eek:
  6. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

I still maintain Dominion = The Alliance, Exiles = Brown Coats ;)

Honestly, the more I read of stuff like that, the more that feeling keeps getting cemented for me.
  7. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

<REDACTED>.
    now i feel like having to play exiles
  8. Dayor Knight

Dayor Knight New Cupcake

Nexus is the home of the Eldin. The Eldin are the founders of the Dominion. Both the Luminai and the Mechari are direct descendants of the original owners of the planet and as such have legitimate claim to it. By most legal and moral interpretations, the Exiles are squatters. That doesn't absolve the Dominion of the other bad stuff they have done, however looking at the ownership of the planet as an issue separate from all the others I would say the Dominion has more "right" to Nexus than the Exiles.

One might say it's poetic justice to have all the people the Dominion has stomped on come and lay claim to what is their central planet... and I don't entirely disagree. However, if you use the methods of evil to combat evil in order to win, what are you when the war is over? That is the why I don't think that the Exiles are entirely the good guys in this particular fight. In the broader sense I would agree that the Dominion are far more ruthless and totalitarian, but in context of Nexus itself... they are fighting for what is theirs.
    Vyver likes this.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The Dominion already knew this :D
  10. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

Firefly comes to mind :p Exiles will rock!
    RedSam777 likes this.
  11. Rizzalliss

Rizzalliss Cupcake

The Granok especially? I am sorry... I really shouldn't have done that. >.>
    Sonntam and Fishsticks like this.
  12. Hoody

Hoody Cupcake-About-Town

EDIT: This is actually why I also want to play this game. It has such a Firefly feel to it. With the westerny/sci-fiey vibes WS gives off. I also feel that this game's particular atmosphere would be amazing to RP in.
    Dagron, Gronky and Fishsticks like this.
  13. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

And Firefly crew are so much exile like. I wonder if there is something cool we can compare dominion to?
  14. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Oh i dont know...maybe "The Empire"?
    Gronky likes this.
  15. cirk

cirk Cupcake

Myrcalus = The Emperor
    Mechari = Adeptus Mechanicus + Inquisition
    Dominion = The Imperium of Man

Humans and Gronak = Traitors to their own people
    Aurin = Aliens/Eldar
    Turning away from the Emperor's light = Heretics

I sense some 40k influence in the way the wildstar background is set up. Even if the style of presentation is completely different. It is quite clear that the Exiles are not the perfect good guys everyone seems to believe. But as long as the 4th race doesn't turn out to be chaos space marines the exiles are still boring and predictable as hell.
  16. Hoody

Hoody Cupcake-About-Town

I think you guys would be thinking of the Alliance, if were still talking about Firefly. ;)

Yeah, but just like Mal's crew the Exiles aren't good or bad... They're just trying to survive in a galaxy that they can't exactly live in properly, since they think the people ruling it are anuses of the highest caliber. Then you could also compare the Dominion with the Alliance. They both think they are the only ones who can bring peace through the galaxy by military force. In other words the Dominion isn't good or bad neither! Both factions just believe they're doing what they think is right!... But IMO the Dominion can go poke around in a hungry Girrok's cave for all I care :p
    Gronky likes this.
  17. Ryth

Ryth Cupcake

I think there's also an argument to be made that, at least in terms of nomad fleet mentality, Exiles = Quarian. Only, y'know, without the spiffy suits.