1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Mechari and Humour

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by ruff_ethereal, Mar 1, 2013.

1. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Canonically, Mechari have no sense of humour whatsoever. They are also the master manipulators of the Dominion. As I was editing the WildStar Trope Page (we have one, now) it dawned on me that real-life manipulators frequently use humour to disarm targets and throw suspicion off themselves.

Wouldn't it have made sense for the Eldan to give Mechari the capacity for humour? Nothing takes the edge off talking to a scary robot like it cracking a good joke. Even a complete misunderstanding of what is funny (ala Claptrap, era Borderlands 2) would have been nice.

By the way, I'm totally making a Mechari RP character who was a failed experiment in adding humour to his programming. Sample dialogue:

"So a Granok and an Aurin walk into a Dominion bar. Then the bartender shoots them both dead! Get it? Because Exiles are filthy galactic scum that all need to go die horrible deaths!"

"What did the Aurin say to the Draken? Nothing! The Draken already killed him before he could open his filthy Exile mouth!"
  2. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Haha great idea and if i do ever make a Mechari despite 99% of my characters being Exile my Mechari would deffinately be a malfunctioning robot that makes jokes and who knows.. talks to inanimate objects?

Your idea is totally believable, remember this guy?
    [​IMG]
    :p
    Chim, Kataryna and Maddog Charlie like this.
  3. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

I think it's totally plausible to be able to reprogram any robot to alter their personality or completely change their purpose (within reason), so long as your character has the knowledge to do so or can afford to pay someone else to do it.

I actually think the utter and complete lack of humor can, in itself, be humorous. Just think of the royal British guards. :) I don't think the mechari are all that concerned about throwing suspicion elsewhere or manipulating others. They seem more like the type to shoot and kill anyone that gets in their way.
  4. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

That'd actually be a pretty darn legit character to roleplay. Would be a lot of fun. :p

Logically, it'd make sense to program Mechari with humour but I guess that for the purposes of keeping the races and factions distinct, they make Mechari very clearly deadpan in their behaviour. There's also the traditional sci-fi cliche of emotion being hard to program in machines even though they can be fully sentient and whatnot (like Data in Star Trek).
  5. Qimx

Qimx Cupcake-About-Town

Bender from Futurama is not a Mechari, is he?
    Joukehainen likes this.
  6. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

LOL true Ruff_ethereal, while Carbine have set us a general rule for lore there will always be exceptions to the rules and what you say makes sense. I like how they have left us enough room to expand in whatever direction we want to for our characters and stories. Cause youre gonna get the odd one or two who argue 'its just not right' but I believe Carbine want us to explore our own imaginations in the development of our characters and they have left us the room to do that :D

Sure enough despite Eldan techs reputation I doubt any microchip in a sardine can (Exiles use that reference cause the Mechari kinda smell like that when they get hot ;)) for 2000 years isnt going to develop a few problems :eek:
    FelixAkuma likes this.
  7. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Are you sure it's canonical? Not just Malvolio's view of them? Unless there's a lore description stating they are humourless I'd say a Mechari stand up comedian is still a possibility!

Perhaps in public they're all business, but they cut loose when kicking back and defragging their data crystals!
  8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Cupcake

Even if the lore say they don't have any humour, i still believe that they do in their own way even if it's dry as sand. I think the future videos on them will be good and have some influence around some "humour" they may have even though you can never compare them to the rest of the races since all have so widely different personalities.
  9. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

This made me crack up. I could actually picture a robot trying to tell that joke. :roflamo:
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  10. Cheveyo

Cheveyo New Cupcake

HK-47 was funny without being a clown.
  11. WickedMir

WickedMir Cupcake

They will remind me of Sheldon Cooper with their complete lack of insight in anything funny and by default be the funniest of the bunch.
    Emmerich and FelixAkuma like this.
  12. FelixAkuma

FelixAkuma Cupcake-About-Town

Sheldone Cooper would be a mechari warrior and become the SWORD.. MASTER! :D
    WickedMir likes this.
  13. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

This^ humour is subjective I don't find foolish, obvious or physical comedy all that funny but really enjoy dark, sarcastic deadpan.
  14. Hommedaction

Hommedaction Cupcake

Seurat of the Dune universe always comes to my mind when talking about robots and humour.