1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"Medic" Name Preconceptions

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Classix, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Classix

Classix Cupcake

[​IMG]
    This topic is about the common misconception of a classes role by its name, for example priests in WoW are commonly disregarded for DPS. I know its happened to me as a shadow priest. Some Players will blindly assume that those certain classes will be the best healers based on name alone ignoring that can partake other roles. The name "Medic" is possibly so ingrained as a name for a healer it may be impossible for the same players. So help the community or address your concerns about this maybe even argue about it... I mean discuss vigorously. Determine if either the name should be changed (probably not goin happen) or ignorant masses should just become more enlightened and informed.​
    So what the hells a Medic? [have you been living under a rock recently?]
    medik
    noun
    informal
    1. 1.
      a medical practitioner or student.
    Or least that's the definition. How important that is in a world of Fantasy I don't know. Basically if its broken or bleeding the medics taking care of it in field or on the move.​
    Time to quote some people who started this discussion.
    Tribe and CaRaDaGaiTa like this.
  2. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

I see the class names as the best fit for the class' overall feel. Medic being the modern day healer that is often trained for other duties, along with medical practice.
    Lets talk a look at another class with similar naming issues: The Stalker, who's name would imply stalking prey waiting for the perfect time to strike, even though they have the ability to tank.
    Sapien and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  3. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

My medic will deep ass
  4. Wordless

Wordless New Cupcake

Im still hoping perhaps Medic and engineer are merely placeholder names for something well cooler sounding. However if they are their final names it wont stop me from playing one. In wow i found the same issue you discuss, being a priest and people assuming im heals or even a warrior and people being like dude tank for me.. did i say i was tank?

Maybe they will be funny and medics wont be able to heal at all, rofl, that would make my day.
    Fingers still crossed for new names!
  5. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I still hope that medic will be renamed to Alchemist. It's a word that has been tossed around a lot since the mordesh race reveal. I'm really not sure how engineer would be replaced. Maybe something like Technomancer? Inventor? Fabricator?
  6. Mykor

Mykor Cupcake-About-Town

First thing people think of when they hear "medic" is healing, medical practitioner, medicine.

But I also look at it this way:
    If a medic is an expert on what heals a living being from wounds.... he also knows what/how to hurt it
    Sapien likes this.
  7. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

the thing is alchemy isnt a science and we all know its a sciecey class
  8. Deslo

Deslo New Cupcake

Seeing that this class can both damage and heal, I don't think Medic is a fittin' name. They can go the easy route and call it "Combat Medic" or somethin'. I reckon if they give it a odd, or silly name, people would be confused as to the purpose of the class. Perhaps Medic is just simple, and well known enough to work.
  9. Deslo

Deslo New Cupcake

Also to add. I feel that Alchemist wouldn't fit well in this science fantasy setting of a game. Perhaps "Chemist" would be a better alternative?
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  10. Karly

Karly New Cupcake

I think that even it's called a Medic if it the potential for it's DPS is there I'm sure it will be able to be utilized, but I honestly can't wait for them to announce the information formally so we'll know more about it.
  11. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

All I can say is that being a DPS medic is going to be a thug life.
  12. Marakesh

Marakesh Cupcake

If it really is medic then that's the worst, least interesting class right there. And then its going to be up against spellslinger and esper as the options for heal/dps, that will be a massacre. Spellslinger has the most style of any of w*'s classes and esper is close behind, the population of healer/dpsers will be like 50% spellslinger, 40% esper, and 10% medic. Dps medic just has no style at all. Eventually, the pop will come back up if there are medic spots open in raids or arena teams, that's it.
  13. Corth

Corth New Cupcake

"medic" is literally a class strait out of first person shooters. I am not worried about this at all because I am 100% that is only a working title. Carbine would not release a class called "medic".
  14. Xlugon Pyro

You're going to be surprised then.

They even had a dev come here to defend the name. Medic is going to be official, sadly.
  15. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

doesnt have to be called medic but even if it is medics have to be able to defend themselves and their patient.
  16. CRB_J-Tal

CRB_J-Tal Carbine Studios

[​IMG]
    Hob, Veckna, Sapien and 8 others like this.
  17. NabeShogun

NabeShogun Cupcake

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet ... I don't care what it's called, just that it plays well ... if people are saying you have to heal over deeps then you're playing with the wrong people, stop pugging, any decent guild will know the strengths and weaknesses of each class not something just assumed from a name.

(Though with the limited info available I am intended on having a healer medic, but just saying ...)
    FruitPunchHero and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  18. Rizlah

Rizlah Cupcake

Pretty much confirms it lol
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  19. Xlugon Pyro

Let's just hope the mechanics of the class aren't a reflection of the name's creativity. :p
    Rizlah likes this.
  20. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

Was thinking exactly this on the way to work, he just wrote it out before I could :p