1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"Medic" Name Preconceptions

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Classix, Oct 14, 2013.

1. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

I am a proponent of the name Medic. I have no problem with someone playing the class as full DPS. And I see the exact opposite of what you see; most supporters of Medic have no problem with the class being DPS.

Maybe we're just both set in our ways and see what we want to believe.

At any rate, if the bias does surface in the game, maybe you should work to correct that bias. Pretty sure the name Medic is set.
    CaRaDaGaiTa and Ico like this.
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

It's not really that. The connotation that comes with the term medic doesn't suit a class that can play a pure DPS role. All of the others can, but medic is the exception to that. To me, it's like calling a policeman an accountant. They're different professions with set roles and the connotations that come with those names are derived from what they do. Same goes for a 'medic'.

It's virtually set though so I don't see it changing. A lot of people didn't like pandas being neutral or being playable at all in WoW but they're there. :p
    Roda likes this.
  3. Slink

Slink New Cupcake

IMO I don't care what the class names are just learn to play it well and be willing to do what the GROUP needs.
    You wanna play DPS Medic in group content then go ahead, assuming we don't need a healer atm or someone else is going to heal. If we don't have a healer or our pug LFD healer sucks(we may not be able to kick them from group) and we need heals then someone in the group needs to heal, that might just be you.

The question should not be whether you're expected to heal or not? but rather what is most beneficial for the group based on every group members skill level? I don't care if you have the highest dps of all Medics on the server, if you don't know how to or refuse to on principle when the group needs it then you're a <REDACTED> Medic.

This goes for all classes, I don't really care what you prefer to do, I want to know what you CAN do that's most beneficial for the group. If there is a spellslinger and a medic in a group and we need some heals(not much just a little) then the one with the lowest dps should take the healer. If we need a LOT of heals then the best healer should heal. Tanks should also be able to tank if needed, if it's not your focus then I don't expect you to excel at it but you should be prepared. If you do excel at both roles then chances are your the kind of person that deserves a spot on my friends list(assuming your not an idiot).

Maybe I'm biased here because when I play a class I try to be the best I can be at the whole class, not just the best dps <insert class here> or whatever. If I play a hybrid class I'm the kind of guy that has separate tank/heal/dps sets on me at all times. Sure I have my preferred way to play and that is usually the best geared spec too but it's not the only way I play.

If you keep having trouble with pug's expecting you to constantly heal even when you KNOW ABSOLUTELY that the GROUP would be better off with another healing and you as DPS then you need to find some intelligent people to group with. I myself will never be using the cross server dungeon finder and will always limit myself to members from my home server, I'll be doing this to maximise my chances of having an increasingly large group of people on my server I can group with regularly. I don't think cross server dungeon finder helps build community but actually hurts it.

Wanna play a Medic? Then please for the love of god be the very best MEDIC that you can be, regardless of whether it's DPS or healing because myself and many other people are going to expect you to be just that.
    Kidney and CaRaDaGaiTa like this.
  4. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

<Mod Face> Lets keep it not abusive guys, regardless of where your opinion fall. </Mod Face>
  5. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Also, personally I don't agree. Whilst I enjoy learning how to play my class and any role it encompasses, at some point you have to commit to one way over the other. If at that point I'm being told I MUST heal because my class name is Medic I'm going to laugh you all the way to my ignore button.

If there is a problem with the healer in a group, that should be identified near the start and they should be replaced if they can't improve or do the task they've volunteered to do.
    Ianpact, Rundo and CaRaDaGaiTa like this.
  6. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

What does the best Medic you can be mean?

Every class in W* is a hybrid of Assault and Support. That along with the LAS system means that every player chooses which path their character takes. They could choose to be a full out Assault, or full out Support, or some type of combination of the two.
    If I choose to play a Medic then I’ll probably be a hybrid, but even that does not have any specific definition. I might choose to be 66/33 Assault/Support, or 33/66 Assault/Support, or a 75/25 or 25/75, or even 50/50; hells, I could be a 99/1 or 1/99. It’s my choice and nobody has the right to tell me how to play my character, or even to tell me I’m playing my character wrong being there is not going to be one true way to play a class. What there will be are people who think that their way is the one true way, and believe they have the right to impose their belief on others, and this problem will be exasperated by giving the name Medic to a class that can be fully Assault.

As for the question; it’s doing the best job I can do, at the role I choose to play.
  7. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Class name doesn't bother me. Combat medics in SWG were insane, you have medics in TF2/Planetside that can focus on killing people, Medic in Global agenda had a nasty poison spec back when I played AvA to name a few so it's not really a new concept.

People who don't play a class and therefore have no/very little understanding of it and assume they know better than the person playing the class don't typically inspire me to take their advice (think that's as polite as I can put it :p ).

New players who don't understand mechanics/capabilities of a class are pretty easy to educate, they're vastly different to the type I mention above though.
    Ianpact, Mondasin and Laban like this.
  8. Jeuraud

Sigh! One last go at this.
    This is the definition and expectations of the real world Combat Medic.
    The very definition and expectations of the Combat Medic is as a Healer; nowhere in these real world expectations is the Medic expected to be an offensive combatant, in fact it is specifically trained not to be, yet the W* Medic can be. It can totally ignore the real world expectations and definitions of the Medic which means it is no longer a ”Medic” despite it being called a Medic, and that is the issue for me.

It’s not that the W* Medic can be a combatant, it’s that the W* Medic can be a non-healer.
    Xlugon Pyro and Roda like this.
  9. Fluffyness

Fluffyness New Cupcake

I too was curious if these were placeholder names or not. Since they kind of deviated from rogue/thief for stalker or any typical spell caster titles for slinger/esper. Then again Warrior did slip through which is about as generic as it gets.

As others have stated, it really doesn't matter. I just think it's odd they have three lore-ish names: Spell slinger, Esper and Stalker paired with pretty generic ones: warrior, medic, engineer. /shrugsies
  10. Fluffyness

Fluffyness New Cupcake

I think you're making some pretty huge generalizations just based on a name. We don't even have skill/ability lists. While I may be wrong I certainly hope people don't roll characters based on names.

You do have a point about Spellslinger though, Carbine has seemingly made it a priority for their style to shine. Spotlight in the trailer, shown played by devs (and zap). It may just be that they were the first fully polished 'signature' flashy moves. So they show off the teleports and position swaps and have the neat circle/seal thingy theme. Plus, <REDACTED>es love dusters.
  11. teh_ninjaneer

Sigh. Another go at this.

Wildstar is a game. You seem to have trouble comprehending this. You're trying to apply "real world expectations" to a video game. Don't.

Carbine can name the class whatever they want.
    Ianpact and CaRaDaGaiTa like this.
  12. Jeuraud

Not once have I stated that Carbine cannot name a class what they want to. What I have done is use the purpose of a forum to state my belief that the name Medic has too many expectations attached to it for a class that can be pure Assault. My objection to the name Medic is not about applying real world expectations to a video game; it’s about the real world expectations of gamers being brought into a video game.

Carbine can stick with the name Medic, and if I choose to play it I will tell those who try to tell me that my mostly Assault Medic should be a Support Medic, to go <REDACTED> themselves; but I should not have to.
    Roda likes this.
  13. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Love how people blow off someone's argument and change talking points when they can't come up with a reasoned counter-argument. XD
  14. MadBlue

MadBlue Cupcake-About-Town

It's only because of RPGs that we have any image of Priests, Druids and Shamans having any particular offensive capacity. In a game where each class has 2 roles, all "Medic" does, really, is define that one of their roles is healing. The same can be said of a "Stalker" tanking. What if a Stalker doesn't equip any stealth-related abilities?

And what about the "Esper"? It doesn't seem to have any extra-sensory perception abilities. When was the last time ESP had to do with hurling psychic knives?

That's not entirely true. Classes will have all their abilities available to them between fights. A Medic can switch to healing when they are out of combat (which is when real-life combat medics do much of their healing anyway) and be able to heal in the next fight if they so choose. The healing is always part of their set of skills. Putting all DPS abilities on your action bar isn't like choosing a tree or advanced class that locks your healing abilities.

I understand where you are coming from about the name and expectations, but I don't think it's really an issue.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  15. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Now that I think about it we have never actually seen them switch LAS in between combat. Not on the fly. We haven't had much mention of cooldown between switching LAS loadouts. It would kind of be nice to see it in action in one of the gameplay releases or the livestream.
  16. MadBlue

That's true. Most of the time we've seen a single, limited LAS. That would be a good question for the interview thread.

Frost talks about being able to switch out your LAS here. Donatelli talks about it here. Lynch and Sheldon give example of switching out LAS for specific fights here. It's specifically mentioned that you can switch out your LAS at any time between combat here, but it's a fan site, so I don't know if it's based on something the devs have said or speculation.
  17. Jeuraud

That should not be a “we”, but an “I”.
    In many Arthurian stories Merlin is a Druid, and Lancelot is a holy knight. In many Robin Hood stories, Friar Tuck was highly proficient with the staff and bare knuckle fighting. The TV show Kung Fu was around before many of you were born, and many of the Chinese unarmed martial arts styles were created by Monks. The Knight Templers of the Crusades, The Inquisitors of the Inquisition; both of these were holy orders and priest of the Catholic Church. The Sohie, were Buddhist Warrior Monks of feudal Japan. Do you believe that the Priests/Priestess of Ares/Mars had no offensive capability? Most of the Norse Gods are warlike; do you think their Priests/Priestess had no offensive capability? The Morrigan is a Celtic Goddess of War; do you think her Priests/Priestess had no offensive capability.
    Do you think RPG’s just created offensive Priests, Druids and Shamans out of the blue?
    This is not true; the player must select their class abilities from a seller(?) in town, and they will not be able to select all of their class abilities, even at cap, which means they will only select the ones that are important to them. A Medic can choose to take no healing abilities; taking CCs, Buffs and Debuffs to load up their secondary LAS bars with.
  18. Elloa

Elloa Cupcake

I've the intuition Medic will be some sort of melee healer. A healer that need to be in melee range of its target (for healing). Maybe they will have the abilitie to combat rez.
    I can't wait to see their healing abilities.

Considering that we have already two "ranged" DPS/Healers, it would make sense that Medic is a Melee DPS/heal.
  19. teh_ninjaneer

Either I'm confused about what you are saying, or you are misunderstanding the LAS.

I'm pretty sure that once you achieve max level, you will have the ability to purchase all your class skills from the trainer. You will then choose which 8-10 skills you want to have "active" on the LAS. If you want to change them then you just need to open up the list and swap skills when you are out-of-combat.

During a raid, for example, you could DPS the first boss and then switch to a healing LAS for the second boss. You can do this just by changing a few skills on your LAS between fights.

There should be no need to go back to town every time you want to swap skills; this isn't like respec'ing a skill tree in Wowcraft.

Your quote seems to state that once you leave town you are stuck with your skill choices until you return to town.
  20. MadBlue

I'm not denying that anyone from a religious order could fight. A lot of the examples you give are of martial religious orders, not priesthoods - and are also conceptualized as classes other than priests in RPGs. Regarding the priesthoods of the deities you mention, they were responsible for divination, rituals, guidance and leadership. These were men and women revered for their advice and wisdom in day-to-day affairs. They weren't fighters. That is, you went to a priest of Mars at a temple for a blessing or a vision of a battle to come. You didn't expect him to pick up a spear and fight on the battlefield.

Can you link to something that supports this? Because that doesn't sound at all like what the devs have said in the interviews I linked to.

And?
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.