1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"Medic" Weapons

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by SykoTavo, Sep 26, 2013.

1. SykoTavo

SykoTavo Cupcake

So...we've all seen (i hope) the new Dev Speak video. And (again, i hope) we all noticed the "Medic" cameo half way through the video and at the end (along with the "Engineer").

Now, who else is disappointed with the "Medic's" weapons? They look too much like spellslinger guns. I mean, I know the "Medic's" are not guns, they're more like energy blaster thingys or futuristic defibrillator pads but, it still looks like the class dual wields small gun-like weapons...JUST like the Spellslinger.

After seeing all the diversity Wildstar offers, this to me is very disappointing (I'm still very excited for the game, don't get me wrong).

I mean, c'mon! Look at the other classes and their weapons:

Warrior = Big ass sword, hand mounted cannon thing!
    Stalker = Long ass blades, spikes, daggers....anything else that's long and sharp...and stealth!
    Esper = Psyblade, mental energy constructs!
    Spellslinger = Guns that don't shoot bullets, they channel magic!
    "Engineer" = Big ass rifle thing and who knows what else.

Then there's the "Medic" = "Let's not waste any time developing a cool, unique weapon for them...let's just make some weird looking gun things and call them medpads or whatever so they don't look too much like the spellslinger."

Seems a bit lazy to me.
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I dunno. Most high-tech single user weapons seem to eventually turn into some form of gun. In fact, it's sort of odd that warriors and stalkers are still using pre-industrial era weaponry in a sci-fi setting, although I do understand that warriors can occasionally wield a hand cannon which is like a gun. Espers mind<REDACTED> people so their weapon is moot. That leaves everyone else to have in some form or another guns. Spellslingers with pistols, "engineers" with big ass rifles, and "medics" with these defibrillators that you mentioned.

So yeah, guns. Lots 'n lots of guns. Wherever you live IRL, the right to bear arms is in plentiful supply in WildStar!
    Saybel likes this.
  3. Furor Tuetonicus

Furor Tuetonicus Cupcake-About-Town

What I think we'll see with this medic-themed class is going to be ranged heals, and a short ranged if not melee DPS. With six classes, and the engineer-style class using rifles, we have 3 ranged DPS classes, so it only makes sense for the medic-themed class to be a melee-centric DPS. Ranged heals will be necessary with what we've seen of mechanics most dungeon encounters, so a melee ranged healer would be less than ideal, in my opinion.

And, I'm perfectly okay with the idea of a healer using defibrillators to shock people in melee. Did I mention I've played a lot of Battlefield?

Adrakka and Saybel like this.
  4. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I mean it really depends on how the medic's fighting style shakes out. We've only seen them use an "attack" once, and it was a glowy green ray beam with a step looking telegraph. If they use the defibrulators as super powered shock paddles for kung fu madness, then that's a whole different story. I mean we can't write these things out as "just the same ol' pistols" until we've seen what they do.

As an addendum, they look like a mix between spellslinger and stalker to me as far as weapons go.
    Saybel likes this.
  5. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

What would you prefer the weapon(s) for the third healing class be?
  6. SykoTavo

SykoTavo Cupcake

Well, unless the Medic is melee(ish) as it's been speculated and the weapons are used in that manner instead of at range like the spellslingers guns, anything other than 2 small gun-like things would have made the class more unique.

It could be something that is not actually wielded like the espers' psyblade or any medical-type instrument.

They could have had them use some sort of serrated knife or saw like surgeons use to cut through bone in one hand and a medical book in the other or, well I don't know...what else do medics use that does not look like two guns? (the medical book was a joke :D).

Jokes and random brainstorming aside, they would have been the perfect class to use some sort of techstaff. This would have served both the speculated melee combat AND the ranged healing.
  7. Xlugon Pyro

If I had to choose between a staff wielder or these defibrillators that medics supposedly wield, I will definitely go with the latter.
    CaRaDaGaiTa, Baamz, Feryo and 2 others like this.
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Wait....so you have a problem with peddles and say they are NOT unique, yet you want to give a healer (once again) a staff? :eek:

Well you should give me more examples of healers using peddles in MMO's then staffs! That'll show you what ''unique'' is :p (GL finding them)

Honest question:
    What does ''unique'' means to you? Because if staves for a healer are ''unique'' for you.....then damn boy, you should play some more games!
    Flawz, Baeldan, Ianpact and 1 other person like this.
  9. SykoTavo

SykoTavo Cupcake

I'm not saying the pads look bad. The way they rest idle on your back looks kinda cool and the idea is good, especially if they're used in a melee manner. My point is they are too similar to dual wielding guns like the Spellslinger guns and I consider that a hiccup of sameness in an otherwise varied and diverse design.
  10. SykoTavo

SykoTavo Cupcake

You have a point there. I'll explain...they ARE unique to Wildstar as compared to other MMOs but they are not unique within Wildstar as in, how I said, they just look too much like dual wielded guns like the Spellslinger.

Also, to try and use your arguement against you :p swords for warriors isn't very unique either.
  11. panickbr

panickbr New Cupcake

I personally didn't like the shown model, although I am confident they might show better designs in the future. But, well, let's be honest. It's pretty hard to beat the design of those tech swords.

Back to your topic, you have to remind that people at Carbine look very "pattern-fans". You see that everywhere. From what's already known, we have 2 ranged, 2 melee; 2 tanks, 2 healers; Every class is perfomed by the same number of races on each faction (Warrior = 3 Exile's, 3 Dominion's; Esper = 2 Exile's, 2 Dominion's); 1 brutality class, 1 moxie, 2 finesse; And going far, it all leads to "connecting". We have 1 heavy armor, 1 medium armor, 2 light armors. Which is shown on a screenshot already, Eng is probably heavy so the Med is medium. Eng fits brutality better than the Med, and same happens on Med fitting moxie. That also leads to my conclusion:

They try to fit everything in "pair numbers". We have two 2-handed classes and two dual-wielders. From what is shown, Engs are 2-handers with their Rifles, so that's why it's probably the reason Medics are dual-wielding those paddles (and obviously mainly because paddles are "dual-wielding" IRL).

As I explained why I think it's "mandatory" for them to be dual-wielders... Why they look so much like Spellslingers? It's pretty hard to come up with a weapon that checks these 3 boxes: 1) Fits Sci-Fi theme. 2) Dual Wielding. 3) Fits Medic theme.

I just hope they use those medpads as knuckle weapons primaly, and that ranged "electrical" skills (which I agree look too much like Spellslinger) be reserved to a small sample.

Animation design will be crucial to set them apart.
    SykoTavo likes this.
  12. Xlugon Pyro

Everything I've seen thus far indicates that you will not be disappointed.
    SykoTavo likes this.
  13. SykoTavo

SykoTavo Cupcake

Great explanation. +1

Exactly.
    Zubbulon likes this.
  14. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

There is some truth to what you’re saying but I’ll take these

medicA.png medicB.png

over a staff any day.

To be frank they look kind of bulky, but that is also a WildStar trait, something you have to accept if you’re going to play the game. How you fight them should be the real difference. This is supposed to be a melee/short range class so you should not be fighting these the same as a Spellslinger which is supposed to be a long range class.
    SykoTavo likes this.
  15. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

ruff_ethereal and SykoTavo like this.
  16. SykoTavo

SykoTavo Cupcake

This is what I'm hoping too.

Maybe I explained myself wrong. I didn't mean they necessarily look alike. The similarity I'm reffering to is the fact that the pads and the spellslinger guns are both small or smallish, dual wielded weapons.
  17. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Hate to stop you while you're on a role, but Moxie is the Magic stat, and these medics aren't magic.

We'll have to see how ranged they really are to determine what their main stat is, Sure, the one clip of a medic attack we saw was slightly ranged, but Warriors have ranged attacks do.

it's not gonna be moxie though.
  18. GloryHogXL

GloryHogXL Cupcake

Wow! I'm with you OP, the Medic weapon looks .... Weird! and I'm not diggin' it at all. Oh well.. not playing that class anyway.
  19. Maxtross

Maxtross Cupcake-About-Town

Well i think the weapon looks pretty bad ass and it's different to what we've been playing/saw in any other MMO's out there.
    Mordesh Medic for me! :D
  20. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

I'm probably going to play this class. I am very disappointed with the weapons; they look pretty lame. I wanted a melee healer and the weapons look too much like this
    [​IMG]

I said this in another post, but couldn't they release a bone saw or a big syringe?
    [​IMG]
    qawwali likes this.