1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"Medic" Weapons

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by SykoTavo, Sep 26, 2013.

1. MrGrimord

MrGrimord New Cupcake

Wayyyyyyyyyyyy too healer oriented since it's a hybrid class.
  2. CRB_PChan

CRB_PChan Carbine Studios

Combat Lifesavers and Combat Medics are riflemen first. Just because it -sounds- heal-y, doesn't mean it is all heal-y.
  3. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Are they? The Corpsman is not even a Marine.
    The original Medics and Corpsman were not authorized to carry a weapon into combat. That changed when they were often targeted, or had to pick up a soldier/marine's weapon to save their patents' life, but even in the modern military as soon as Medic or Corpsman is called for, that rifle gets stowed and the medkit come out; that is how they are trained, and that is the expectation of their "class".

In W* I can play a DPS-Healer and never pull a medkit for someone else; that is my choice. But if I play the Medic I will constantly have to fight with people who think I should be a healer first, or only a healer because my class is called Medic. I know this because I have had to deal with this in other MMORGPs.
    Laban and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  4. CRB_PChan

Probably should've been more careful about what I posted. I forget sometimes that internet denizens like to pick the smallest things apart.

IIRC, Combat Lifesaver is a cert that riflemen can take, not an MOS, and therefore not a "class". Before any one gets their US Military subject matter expertise panties in a bunch, I know that corpsmen are Navy, and not Marines, and that "riflemen" refers specifically to the Marine MOS blah blah.

All I meant was that medical professionals in the modern military are in fact, trained to be and are depended upon to be combatants first. Even after they put away their rifles to treat the wounded they are authorized to protect those under their care.

Anyway, my fun Sunday post, tragically, became trollbait, so I'm going to get back to this game I get paid to make. Ciao.

PChan
    Veteran, US Air Force
  5. MrGrimord

MrGrimord New Cupcake

I still don't think it's appropriate since it can confuse newbies who will think that if they pick up this class, they will be stuck in a strict healer role.

I would much better prefer a name such as Surgeon instead.
  6. CRB_PChan

Frontier Pharmacist, IMO.
    teh_ninjaneer and Ianpact like this.
  7. Raarsi

Raarsi Cupcake

Don't think "surgeon" is either given that it bears the same stigma that "medic" has. And it won't be just newbies who will make the assumption if they pick it, but the general batch of idiots found in any game will be just as prone to it if not more so for expecting every medic to heal because they bear a class name associated with healing or medicine.

Also as nice as it is to hear the point of view of someone who has valiantly offered their services to the armed forces, it's still seems to be a bit of a faulty comparison when tied to a more cartoonish video game (as opposed to more realistic games like the CoD series). Just because field medics on actual warfronts are required to have a particular level of combat skill doesn't necessarily mean some moron on a digital warfront will expect such skill from a class called "medic" or "surgeon" or anything with that healer-only stigma. Even in games like WoW, it took years for the overall playerbase to get the concept that classes like priests and druids and shaman do more than just heal, and even nowadays in WoW there's still a disconnect about healing-capable hybrid classes doing more than healing roles.

In the end, it will be much harder to shrug off that healer name stigma than to simply assign a more neutral name that still signifies a link to what tech it brings to the table. Sure, there could be the dev mentality of "oh, our players will be smarter than that", and I'm sure many will be. However, like there are always bigger fish in the sea, there will always be bigger idiots in MMOs.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  8. Classix

Classix Cupcake

Ahem...
  9. Treur

Treur New Cupcake

Would love to see a melee engineer, using like wrenches and screwdrivers :D
  10. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

I will be a dps medic, if i find some of those retards stereotyping my class, i will just tell them to suck my dick :D

The name Medic is fine, fits well with Sci-Fi and it will be cool as <REDACTED> !!

Imagine the Tier 1 Medic set = White with a red cross in your chest!
  11. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

:eek:language!!!!!!!!!
  12. Mierelle

Mierelle Cupcake-About-Town

Something like?
    [​IMG]
  13. Classix

Classix Cupcake

Rule of female armor, less is better.
    heavyscythe06 and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  14. guillermo

guillermo New Cupcake

And of course they're the more badass. They fight with high-heel shoes, have moving/living bewbs and never die first even though they have like ENORMOUS gaps in their armor.
  15. CRB_PChan

Pernicious lies. Sexy Strong and armored, IMO:

[​IMG]
    Baamz, Sonntam, Roda and 9 others like this.
  16. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

People sometimes forget that this is your (Carbine's) game and you can name the class whatever you want. Call the class Bob if you feel like it. If the players label the class "dedicated healer" just because the name is Medic, that is due to the short-sightedness of the players.

If the Players-That-Be want to rename the class, they are welcome to make their own game.

Freddy Pharkas. Another great Sierra classic.
  17. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

WoooW, nice gear, from what game is that?

Too bad this looks like plate armor, Medics will wear medium armor...
  18. Svinkaoff

Svinkaoff New Cupcake

if we have any information about conception of a future "medic" class that will be easier to naming it

For example if the weapon is like defibrilator and class uses electric power as a resource we can call it smth like Reanimator or Shocker, etc...

IBut unfortunetly we dont have ponderable cognition to predict anything without fail
  19. Mierelle

Mierelle Cupcake-About-Town

Don't know, some fan made concept art I found a while back, Just named "Medic" without any game reference.
  20. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think certain raid members want someone using their "Shocker" on them.