1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Might and Magic: Duel of Champions

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by SiddyFour, Nov 23, 2013.

1. SiddyFour

SiddyFour Cupcake

Meant to post here the first time lol.

Hey everyone! I've been posting my playthroughs of M&M on youtube, but I'm still very much a noob to card games in general. Honestly, I just got it so as to prepare for Hearthstone. Anywho, can anyone give me some general advice for card game strategy? Something very general that could be applied to most card games. Greatly appreciated!
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

You want to play for Hearthstone eventually?

Well, welcome :D I love heartstone tbh.

I personally think there are a few things you need to know:

Card control
    Board control
    Know your enemies
    Don't blow it all!
    Take you time!

Cardcontrol:
    Having 0 cards in your hand SUCKS!!! Combinations and special effects are what makes you win the games! And for that you will need cards! Some people often don't treat cards with a *draw an extra card* effect as strong cards, but they can be extremely strong! Having an empty hand = a happy enemy for he can combo easily without a lot of counter play.

Board control:
    Ofcourse this depends on what deck you are playing, some decks require a strong board control with minions, while other decks require you to control the flow with spells, having no or a few minions on yourself.

Don't let your enemy swarm the board (unless you got a mass removal IN YOUR HAND!)

Know your enemy:
    Speaks for itself? You need to know what he can do! That way you can counter his combo's, or be a step in front of him. You can counter his counters ;)

You should know atleast 4 things:

What kind of removal does he has?
    How can he desroy your creatures? Playing vs paladin/mage? Then you should know how to act when they have activated a ''secret''. Playing vs a rogue and you got a Alexstrasa in your hands, but he hasn't played any Assassinate? Then it's not very safe to play her.

What kind of ''epic'' monster does he has?
    VS a warlock you should always know that he can play a Lord Jarraxus, it can bring him back from 1 health to 15 instantly and turn the tides of the battle.

What combo's can he make?
    For example a Hunter can make a 1 turn-kill combo, people can see it comming from the way the hunter plays and can counter it early by (as a warrior) building armor or doing other things (depending on your class and cards in your hand).

What makes his playstyle special?
    Every class has his own unigue effects/cards etc. You should know them but you should also know other special features:
    (to give you some)
    Mage: Secrets
    Shaman: Overload/Windfury
    Warrior: Armor
    Priest: Healing/buffing

Don't blow it all:
    Vs mage
    Got a lot of weak minions in your hand and 10 mana? Don't blow them all on the field to see them all die the next turn of a flamestrike without them doing any damage (they need to wait a turn to attack).

Just put in some, then if they survive do damage and increase the number on the board. If you put them all together in play and they get destroyed together then you end up with NO board control, NO cards in your hand = you have most likely lost the game.

You got a lot of power up spells? Don't always throw them all on 1 target. This way the target becomes an easy target for spells like: Assassinate, Sheep, Hex etc.
    Sometimes it's better to spread the power-up spells out!
    Sometimes it's good to put it on 1 (see windfury/charge in Heartstone).

Check the situation you are in, and see what would be the best situation.

Take your time:
    How many times i've seen people screw up, saying *that was a mistake*.....
    If only they took the time to think about their actions, then i'm sure i'd lose a few more times!

The speed will come in time, don't force yourself to play fast as a newbie to card games :D

Hope this helps a bit, although this is just general information ;)
    Does it matter if you don't know everything about the enemy? Not really, you will learn. But mastering a card game will be much easier by knowing all cards :coffee:
  3. SiddyFour

SiddyFour Cupcake

Thanks for the tips. They were all very well presented and explained. I've had quite a few moments when I acted too quickly and instantly realized my mistake. Did that a few minutes ago. My last game though was one of my best so far. Managed to completely turn the tide of battle and demolished my opponent. Funny too because he so totally had me.
    Extatica likes this.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well, for Heartstone you can ask me about anything :D But those points are kind the key-points. Master those and you'll do fine.