1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

most disappointing game you guys ever played

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by mge_br, Feb 24, 2013.

1. mge_br

mge_br Cupcake

Last month I got torchlight II but I never played because I was focusing my game time in GW2 , but since the art style remind me of wildstar and you can also use dual pistols I finally decide play it. It is pretty good game simple but fun, as I was playing I keep remembering how disappointed Ias was with Diablo 3. D3 was the biggest disappoint I ever had in games, so I was just wondering with was the most disappointing game you guys ever played.

PS:I am not saying D3 is the worst game I ever played, but I expected MUCH more them what I got
    ruff_ethereal, bitbandit and Kurik like this.
  2. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Probably Diablo 3 for me as well, wasn't bad it just didn't meet my expectations and I wasn't crazy about any of the classes either. :(
  3. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

my hubby says D3 also, lol!
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  4. Shadydemise

Shadydemise Cupcake

I'd have to say Star Wars: The Old Republic. While I enjoyed some features of the game for a few months (if that), I was mostly disappointed by how the development team handled content. They were very open with their desires for the game, but implemented the content terribly. Bioware rushed the game out when it was not ready, and then were unable to back up what they had originally promised.

Hearing about guild ships and group space combat within the first month of release was exciting. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it was a dream that would not become a feature close to when they predicted it. Like I said, the biggest disappointment for me was seeing how Bioware handled the situation. Had they been openly honest about their development process, I may have been more understanding. Unfortunately, teasing ideas as future content updates when nothing similar was remotely close to implementation did not sit well with me. I felt like they were just trying to prolong the time before I cancelled my sub. So much for being a valuable customer :(
  5. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

Age of Conan was my biggest disappointment because I followed the game for nearly 3 years pre-release. I knew what the devs were promising and ate up every bit of hype they put out.

On release it was a a huge turd with virtually none of the features or gameplay they had hyped. All we had were a lot of apologies, and, 'it'll be patched by the end of the month'. The memory leaks and the patcher bugs which left people in often days long download loops were astonishing. Because a lot of us put a lot of support in pre-release, we stuck it out at endgame for over a month. But it was too awful. Their Head quit within 2 months if not sooner, saying he would never be attempting to make an MMO again.

I hear they've managed to scrape together a half-decent game now. But still nothing like the game they wanted to make. After getting burned on AoC, I've been very cautious. I turned my nose up at SWTOR and GW2, I could just tell they weren't going to be right for various reasons (I'm a GW1 evangelist too). Letting my guard one last time though with Wildstar, you have trust your intuition once in a while ;)

D3 - I thought there would be a slighter bigger game. Not huge.. but wow that game is tiny. It was a hack n slash, so I was always wondering why MMO players kept bangin' on about it. I'd played D2 so I knew the score. WAR was fun to level in the BGs, but overall it was another flaming turd and the devs should be strung out for what they did to that IP.
    Solomon Hans and Mudfin like this.
  6. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Dragon Age 2. The game itself wasn't terrible though it did have rehashed dungeons as content, and I applaud the decision to try and create a narrative around a city. But it was awful compared to Dragon Age: Origins. I will never pre-order another single player game because of DA2... :(
  7. FluidD

FluidD Cupcake-About-Town

FFXIV... Broke my heart, I love FF and that game was just such a dissapointment to my beloved franchise.
  8. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

I'll second this. Star Wars is my favorite science fiction IP, and I really, really believed SWTOR was going to be amazing with Bioware at the helm. I loved Mass Effect 1 and 2, as well as the original Dragon Age. But sadly their content seems to be going down hill faster than Lance Armstrong.

I was also really, really disappointed in Guild Wars 2. But, I suppose I should have known that a game which wasn't going to have progressive end-game content wasn't for me. Fool me once. I think this experience is why I'm not all that interested in The Elder Scrolls Online. No ability cooldowns? Left and right mouse button clicking for attacking? Maybe it will appeal to The Elder Scrolls crowd, but I'm having a really difficult time imagining the veteran MMO player finding these mechanics attractive.
    Devorak and Shadydemise like this.
  9. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

I'm tempted to say D3 too. My friends and I were saying things like,"Won't need to buy a new game for a long ass time, now that I have D3." and we loved it for the first play through, after that it just felt like an auction house simulator with a mini diablo game addon...
  10. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

Mine as saints row 3. I was so hyped to get a sequel for saints row 2, but they failed to deliver. Overall don't preorder and tend to rent before I buy. That makes it hard to be disappointed.
  11. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

I have to go with Champions Online. Beta and pre-release early access were amazing. Then they up and screwed the game at release and were really snide to the players about it.
  12. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

Brink, 'nuff said.
    Solomon Hans likes this.
  13. Nyuklehead

Nyuklehead Cupcake

I'd have to say Star Trek Online. As a Trekkie, I'll be the first to admit my expectations were fairly unreasonable. I was imagining the ability to crew a massive ship with friends/guildies and go out exploring the universe. Much like the shows, I hoped to have a good variety of activities from investigating anomalies, going on diplomatic missions, and exploring new planets.

Unfortunately, what I got was a lone wolf game with the same "Kill everything in space. Now land on the planet and kill everything there." missions the entire game. The Klingon faction only had maybe 5 story missions and were sold as the PvP faction. We PvPd so much that the Federation players stopped queuing because they just couldn't win. Rewards from PvP were massively reduced and the KDF turned into the undergeared grinding faction.

I can't even blame Cryptic for this one. They were given less than 2 years to build the game from scratch and made something with potential. The devs were great and had some of the best communication I've ever seen. They eventually fixed a lot of the issues but it was just too late.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  14. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

This is a tough one for me. I have a ton of games that I love that have one or two things that just made me not want to play the game.

I bought D3 never having played D2 and I played through the story and found out that how you level was by playing through the game 3 times....Definitely not the game for me.

TSW I hated their deck system and how that worked, I wanted to heal in the 5 mans as I was level but ended up speccing a way that gimped my character so bad that I couldn't complete any quests about half way through the 3rd leveling area. I completed every single quest, sometimes more than once on my way leveling in that game and I know that I can go back and redo all the missions for more speccing points but I'd rather not do that just to move forward in the game :-/.

I had an amazing leveling experience in GW2 but the 5 man dungeons were poorly done and I ended up corpse running so much (the lack of holy trinity killed it for me).
  15. Shadydemise

Shadydemise Cupcake

Why'd you have to mention Brink? That game caused me to rethink my entire philosophy behind pre-orders :mad: While I will definitely pre-order Wildstar, I refuse to pre-order anything else. I had hoped that if I just never thought about Brink again, I would forget about the unfinished product I wasted $50 on. Oh well ;)
    spencerBAXLEY likes this.
  16. FluidD

FluidD Cupcake-About-Town

I wanted to love Brink so bad, it sounded so amazing then I started playing it. I kept playing it for like 2 months like I liked it and i hated it for so long lol... That being said I am buying the collector edition of Wildstar, assuming it has a statue/poster/hat/shirt... or any collectible, I am a huge collectors guy and any game with a statue is being bought.
  17. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

Mine was a lesser known title. It's called "Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World" It's the sequel to a JRPG from 2003 called Tales of Symphonia. The first game was rated very highly, and was acclaimed as a great game, but it never took off in North America (Very popular in Japan though) The first game was and still is my favorite game of all time. When I heard there was a sequel to it, I immediately ordered it... It seems that the developers got extremely lazy on both story and gameplay, it didn't feel anything like the first game at all. The main character was completely different from the first game, and even though the main characters from the first game were in fact in the sequel, you couldn't even play them though they weer in your party... To not make a laundry list, I'll just say it was the biggest disappointment of my life.
    Sarah Orlando and B00TE like this.
  18. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

I am not sure disappoint is the best word for me. I have beta tested most games I have played and knew what to expect. Even though many games may lack polish and content normally there is something to like about every game.

But I can name a few that were disappointing but more for lost potential than being bad games.

1. Anarachy Online I beta tested AO for at least 6 months prior to release and it was a solid game. Gradually as beta ended stability got worse and worse. It released as arguably the most unstable game ever released. Trying to cross the city of Tir *which should take 30 seconds) to get a mission would take me 45 minutes with 8-9 crashes trying to cross the city.
    2. Shadowbane A game I beta tested for over 2 years ( i believe the beta lasted 3 years if you can believe that). Another solid game except for the stability issues.
    3. AC2 I never played release and only played in late beta but I was disappointed in the state the game was in.
    4. EQ2 Although it eventually turned into a fine game it could have been a much better game if it had not released to early.
    5. Vanguard I love Vanguard and I was happy with release but I was disappointed in it releasing before it was ready for the public. People simply didn't have the hardware to play it and it needed at least 6 more months to release. Vanguard could have been a big success IMO if it was only given more time. What disappoints me most about Vanguard is we will likely never see a game attempt to go "big" again. What I mean by "big" is release with so many system and so much content at the expense of polish and finish.

I could put in lot of really bad games like Dark and Light, Mourning and so on. But its hard to be disappointed by games you know will be poor. What disappoints me the most is lost potential. A game like Vanguard really sticks out most to me as a game with lost potential. There were so many good things about the game from crafting, to the world size, to the dungeons, to diplomacy, to double targeting, to limited corpse runs and so much more. It really could have been a huge hit. Lost potential may be the most disappointing failure of them all.
  19. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah. It was the first and only time i pre-ordered on steam. Never. Again.
  20. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

The War Z - There aren't enough words in the English language to stress how this game sucked.
    Diablo 3 - too repetitive, only fun I get in it is when I try new builds. Loot too random.
    Guild Wars 2 - only because there is no PvE endgame. I still loved the content while leveling up though.