1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

most disappointing game you guys ever played

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by mge_br, Feb 24, 2013.

1. B00TE

B00TE Cupcake-About-Town

Haha, I always feel like I'm the only one who really really enjoyed D3 (and I was fanatically devoted to D2 for many a summer). Though, I do understand a lot of the reasons people put forth. My only major complaints were the Auction House and Always Online <REDACTED>.

Biggest disappointment for me was Assassin's Creed 3. Feels like it strayed too far from what made 1 and 2 really fun for me. Not to mention yearly installments right now don't leave me too hopeful for the future.

2. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

What I can remember off the bat:
    1) world of warcraft expansions, each one slightly started to dissapoint me more and eventually all the features I enjoyed the most had been removed or dumbed down.
    2) Diablo 3 - as the rest, I just expected so much more, having just finished torchlight before it, I didn't even finish the game, I stopped playing at act 4 in d3, I didn't even see the ending cinematic and just watched the diablo encounter from Youtube. Torchlight just was so much better game. I probably would had enjoyed the planned 2005-2006 d3 from blizzard north a lot more that was scrapped because it didn't meet Vivendi's "expectations". Now I only regret that I didn't keep playing it because I could had made probably 10000$+ in the RMH just thanks to tons of auction house experience. I at start just didn't think that items would become so valuable in Inferno and that the RMH would be so heavily used as it was. Now I've played Path of Exile 1000+ hours and that now felt like a real d3.
    3) SC2 Heart of the Swarm Campaign - I've never been so dissapointed in blizzard in terms of difficulty, the entire campaign was an utter faceroll on brutal, I only had some trouble with first few missions and then just steamrolled the entire game to the end. And I won't even bother going in depth about the characters, Kerrigan's personality and overall supercheesy plot. Wings of Liberty in terms of difficulty was a dissapointment for me vs SCBW, but it still delivered, last mission was superdifficult vs air on brutal. In HotS I didn't even think that it was the last mission that I completed, because it wasn't a challenge.
    4) SWTOR - since I mostly mine a lot of data before I start hyping a game, I was prepared that it will have average world PvP and PvE won't be anything special, but man, I didn't expect the dumbest wPvP design I've ever seen in a big mmorpg, the worst engine performance I've ever seen in an AAA mmorpg, and 1 raid instance with 6 difficulties which are all faceroll and bugged (untested).
    I don't think anyone expected that quality from Bioware and 400million (?) product. For the budget it had, it was the worst product I've ever seen. I think a hillbilly would had made a better mmorpg with 400 million.
    5) Quest for Glory V (this is quite an old and not very known title, so won't go in depth :p)

Most of the dissapointments have just come only due to the lack of information by the company and having too huge hopes from the big companies. I have bigger hopes for wildstar than other mmorpg's I've hyped tho, since I've already got a lot of detailed information from them years before the release date, what some can't even release before release. I have no hopes for TESO tho, that will be the next big dissapointment for the most (based on the shared detailed info from those who got to play it), but I expect more success than swtor.

3. Greenstalker

Greenstalker New Cupcake

Lets see. My first big dissappointment would be WoW. I was playing SWG and City of Heroes when WoW hit on shelves in my country and I will be frank I still don't know how that game made it big like this but I guess I am the odd one in here considering that game wrote MMORPG genre to a new. Speaking of which SWG made a second big mistake by changing their game more like WoW which would take my number 2 fail list.

I actually enjoyed Age of Conan and Warhammer Online but I didn't have enough friends to play together with so those became dull after a while.

After playing CoH too long I tried Champions Online. Again not bad but it was too much like WoW for my taste even with all freeform thing.

Tried Eve Online at an attempt to get sandbox feel that SWG gave to me but it couldn't keep me interested after a couple of hours. Around this time also tried final fantasy 11 but difficult controls and again not many friends to play killed joy.

The Secret World was actually good and time to time I check what is new in it but initial spark is not there anymore. SW:ToR was my second biggest dissapointment but that is mostly my expectations were quiet high because of both bioware and SWG. Diablo 3 was my third biggest fail on so many levels it was almost made it to top contender.

Only game I could play for a long time was City of Heroes and that one with lots of long hiatuses. If SWG stayed at pre-NGE version than i would be still playing it.

So far no good it seems for me at least and because of what happeed with CoH I am really biased towards ncsoft games so that leaves only one game that left me with hope to look for but not to jinx it I am not saying its name. If everything goes well it will be a sci-fi sandbox one similiar to SWG but with lots of differences.

4. Honoracy

Honoracy Cupcake-About-Town

Diablo 3.
    Diablo 2 was my first online love. My heart was smashed into millions of tiny pieces after I stood in line at the midnight release just to get home and be so let down. ;(

Joukehainen likes this.
  5. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

D3 or GW2
    Just thinking about it makes me sad panda on the inside

I'm going to go hide now :(

Solomon Hans likes this.
  6. MeakGG

MeakGG Cupcake-About-Town

No fighters here, huh?

Hands down, the most excited I have been for a game in my adult life Street Fighter x Tekken. I'm a huge Street Fighter fan, and the combat looked so fun and new and engaging....

HORRRRRRIBLE. Not hype at all, boring, ugly to look at. It was the 4th day with the game and I hated it with a passion. This is after MONTHS of insane hyping it up, bribing my locally owned game shop to get me a copy 2 weeks early, and an all out frenzy of complete obsession, from buying 2 $200 fight sticks, to changing my wireless name to SFXT, and changing who I played in SF4AE2012 to more quickly adapt to a game I ended up playing for.... 4 days.

Chosenxeno and Solomon Hans like this.
  7. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Soo many recent games. This goes to show that disappoint doesn't linger that long, but it is something that replenishes itself in your mind time and time again, scary. Or people get more hyped over games now with more information available to them. Watch the hype folks ;)

I remember renting a crappy game on N64 called Superman. The game was so incredibly bad and un-Superman that it was the only disappointing rental I can recall.

Now SWTOR was lame because I kept telling myself the character creation would offer real "aliens" like in SWG. Instant disappointment from there on.

8. Zybak

Zybak Cupcake-About-Town

Star Wars: The Old Republic. It wasn't disappointing until a few months in.

I still can't believe that game tanked :/

RIP TORtanic

Chomag likes this.
  9. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Probably SWTOR as an MMO. As a single player game Dungeon Siege 3 takes the super cake.

10. Caimie

Caimie Cupcake-About-Town

I have to say SWTOR also. I am a Star Wars fan, a MMO lunatic and Bioware, my favorite company, developed the game so this should be the game for me I said to myself . I loved the leveling and the story line but after that, it got boring very quick for me. Plus I was in a guild with some horrible people but that is not something the game can do much about but it did destroy my fun in the game.

11. Grohmm

Grohmm Cupcake

Final Fantasy XII was my most disappointing game... Because after the 4 best FF (7 8 9 10) in the history (whatever which one's the best of this 4), i was really expecting a game similar to the experience of FF 10. But it was absolutely anyting but a Final fantasy... No Emotion.. I've just finished the story and never played it again!

I didn't choose SWTOR because it was the best leveling experience in the mmo i've ever played despite the endgame for casuals and the lack of content! I've had some great experience playing the game as hardcore gamer anyway!

12. Solomon Hans

Solomon Hans Cupcake

Japan, London, Southern US, wherever the work is.
    For PC games: Final Fantasy 11 and Guildwars 2. I felt like it was marketed as so much more of a platformer and free form fighting than it actually was. Also. Everything is too bland I feel in customization design. I think even D3 had better skill customization.

....Maybe Im just mad. Not sure. :speechless:

13. Solomon Hans

Solomon Hans Cupcake

Japan, London, Southern US, wherever the work is.
    Is there a "take all my likes" button?

So much this. God this game was THE holy grail of potential in an FPS. I'd honestly wish they'd find a way to remake it by adding more content, better/varied guns, fix multiplayer connection issues, and have proper marketing and then rerelease it for a much cheaper cost. (Like 4.99) and let players who owned it patch for free.

14. Titbiscuit

Titbiscuit Cupcake

Guild Wars 2.

I have never been so wrong about a game.

15. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

You could have only been surprised by that if you didn't play GW 1. :D We who did, very much expected GW2 to suck ass.

16. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

hey now. Gw2 isn't bad. It's just not gw1 version 2 like so many gw players had it in their minds it would be. Id it perfect ? Hardly, but no game is, or has been. There are many things they did drop the ball on, (current) wvw (spvp is just fine, if not standard issue), the personal story dialogue, etc (yes i ma former gw1 player). The same thing happened to me with CoH & Champions, I was a long time CoH/CoV player, and I went into Champions expecting a cleaner, more polished CoH, needless to say I didn't get it, and it killed the game for me. I look back on it now, and it wasn't bad, it just wasn't what i had thought it should be.

Sometimes, ya have to let those preconceived ideas go, or you'll likely not be happy with anything. It's nice to just enjoy something for what it is. Like...Aliens fans that watched Prometheus wanting a propel prequel, it failed horribly in that aspect, but on it's own it was a nice, if not flawed scifi romp :3

But would you actually give it another try ? That's how i feel about ffxiv: a realm reborn. Squenix busted my chops with ffxi years back, then did it again, somehow *worse* with ffxiv. Like all the former subscribers, I get the new client at no charge, and beta access (supposed to, but even that isn't working right). I want it to be good, even if I'll never play it, we need more polished AAA quality titles in the mmo market, to elevate it out of the decade of stagnation WoW brought with it.

ffxi could, and should have risen to such lofty heights! But some of it was right, the lfg system they had was glorious. The crafting... not so much. Same for the way monsters scaled vs how players (didnt) scale.

Joukehainen likes this.
  17. Auttoh

Auttoh New Cupcake

Someone already beat me to it, but Brink gets my vote as well.

bitbandit likes this.
  18. Gardengnome

Gardengnome New Cupcake

Single Player game I would have to think that Silent Hunter 5 is at the top. MMO I am torn between between either Pirates of the Burning Sea or Vanguard. PotBS and Vanguard for wasted potential. Vanguard had worse character graphics compared to the earlier EQII client. PotBS for rushed mechanics (yes you boarding actions) in areas that were pathetic. Granted... I would have to say Neverwinter Online was the most dissappointing beta I have ever been in.

Honorable mention... WAR.

bitbandit likes this.
  19. Titbiscuit

Titbiscuit Cupcake

I actually did play Guild Wars 1, haha. Still didn't expect it to be this bad. :p

20. Merketh

Merketh Cupcake

Diablo 3. It really felt like a rip-off, unlike Swtor and GW 2 which tanked for me but where I atleast felt i got my money's worth out of.