1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

most disappointing game you guys ever played

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by mge_br, Feb 24, 2013.

1. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

I think cryptic was at it's best with CoH. I recall vangaurd being releases when i still worked @Walmart. All the hype and all on the case, i tried it later and .. those graphics... *shudder*
  2. kaoseth

kaoseth New Cupcake

The War Z
    Aliens: Colonial Marines

Here is my personal failure though.
    Dungeon Lords
    My friend picked this up and said "Hey I am so looking forward to this. Why don't you pick it up?"
    It didn't even ship with a functional UI. Inventory? sorry, you cant reach it because the UI isn't done. seriously WTF.

I kept it to remind myself never to buy a game before trying it.
  3. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

Mine's Shadowbane and TSW

Shadowbane was the first game I really got deeply involved with our guild. We tested the game, went to the dev meets to visit with them, partied together in real life (one guy came all the way from the UK to meet up with us).

Then Ubisoft was chosen as the publisher and started changing the direction of development. It turned out to be a pile of ...well you know.

The premise was guilds could form their own cities. Including defenses, vendors usable by others to generate revenue, trainers...basically a functioning city. Guilds could also wage war and destroy each other's city to try and rule a region. That was combined with regular PvE questing. It started out as a lot of fun, but was destroyed by the publisher.

TSW - I got in on the last stages of beta. I purchased a lifetime sub (it later became free). I was really interested in the lure of investigation missions. Missions that made you think and work out puzzles as well as just fight. In the end, it felt like another "go kill x of these and level up" type of game. Although they will tell you there are no levels. That is technically correct. You don't level up...your gear does. I now have a very hard time even logging into it. :(
  4. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Ah, beginner's mistake: buying lifetime subscription. Never do that, no matter how much you like a game.

It's kinda like this:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/bc...clip-nobody-goes-full-retard-from-ilike2party
  5. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

Genesis Rising I think that was the name, terrible 4x game
  6. Forge Darksteel

Forge Darksteel Cupcake

MMO: SWTOR
    Single-player: D3
  7. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

hehe...I understand what you're saying, but I have bought several lifetime subs over the years that I have thoroughly enjoyed and definitely got my money's worth (actually saved me quite a lot of money). TSW is the first one that disappointed me.
  8. Xannidel

Xannidel New Cupcake

I will voice similar choices as well.

SW:TOR, While I was aware of the MMO for many years I had not really given it much thought because I was still playing WoW and I was just really enjoying it. About a yeare before launch I started reading the articles and getting hyped up and joined a guild and everything and then when it launched we all had a blast...2 months later I quit because the end content was just horrific. They try to get me to sign back up but no more Bioware, you broke my heart with this one.

Single player games I will go with Eternal Sonatra. I love JRPGS but this title bugged me from the instant I heard one of the voice actors. The combat is not bad per say but it just irked me to the point that I barely got an hour in before I turned it off.
  9. sendlor

sendlor Cupcake-About-Town

From how perfect Wildstar is going be not only from what I've red but also the gameplays that I've seen I can only say that EVERY other MMO games were a disappointment for me and that I have never seen a better one than Wildstar!!
  10. Devorak

Devorak New Cupcake

The RMAH of D3 turned me off of it as soon as I heard about it so I didn't even buy it.
    I'd have to say SWTOR, mostly because of its lack of launch content.
    GW2 completely failed to interest me, waste of 60$.
    Ghost Recon Future Soldier, damn that was an awful PC port.
    AVP 2010 for obvious reasons.
  11. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

There are alot actually. But probably NSMBU.

Why? Well I put my hopes in that it could be something new. It was the same friggin' game as on the Wii with very minor changes and the same soundtrack and art design most of the time...

Lazy as hell.

Another one would probably be Luigis Mansion 2. Don't hate me, I think it is a good game, but I personally don't enjoy it alot. The whole first world was pretty boring and predictable in what you were supposed to do. It also is pretty darn stupid why they'd make a game which had 2 analogue sticks on a console with just one. I want to charge up my flashlight and turn aro-Nope I can't.

Kinda annoys me.

Uhh...Don't hate me. Guild wars 2.
    I really liked it! And...Then I just stopped playing it. Idk, it didn't suck me into itself. I think it was because the quests felt very stupid and just "help us, lol" without explanation and I didn't enjoy the single player quests. I thought that was a pretty 'meh' feature.

Smite.

I had SO much fun with this game...Until I realized how poorly made it is and how early its state is.
    The launcher works only sometimes, the game deinstalls only if you are very kind to it and don't get me started on balance.

Was very fun tho.

Bloodline Champions.

Only one thing. Matchmaking. No one plays this, and all your enemies are like level 9 which gives them access to way better passive stuff...Great.

TERA

"hey we got a c0oOl faitin syztum so wi d0nt need no otha shtaff"
    That's what I kept from playing it. Just simple "kill stuff" with bad storytelling in an action MMO. Woo.friggin.Hoo.

There's a bunch of others, but I don't really remember so that's enough for now.

Btw: disappointing=/=good/bad.
  12. Bane25

Bane25 New Cupcake

I have never been more disappointed in a game than SWTOR. I was so hyped for that game, I had been a member of the SWTOR site for at least four years, reading all the updates and videos. But the game was so over hyped by me and others that it fell flat in about every way it could. The decisions by Bioware, mostly influenced by EA were terrible and the game was not ready at release.
  13. ZuberiGF

ZuberiGF New Cupcake

While I share most everyone' opinion of TOR (Watched it for 2+ years and by the end my friends and I just decided not to get it), I'm surprised no one has mentioned Mass Effect 3 yet.

ME3 takes the cake for me, though the reasoning is weird. Personally, I felt like there was a massive amount of potential there, and it was the fact that the game came so close to teetering on the edge of amazing so many times that really killed me. I absolutely love the combat system.... except for the glitchyness. The story was god-like.... until after the krogan mission. The multiplayer is really fun.... except for the rng store.

In everything for ME3, there was always a caveat that I just detested, but there was soooooo much good stuff there to build on. It's disappointing to me that Bioware did not spend more time on it. Even just a year more hashing out the details to make sure everything fit and worked together would have made the game the epic it deserved to be. Instead, all I'm left with is commiserating about all the wasted potential of the title :(.
  14. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

When I first played ME3 the biggest issue that pissed me off, is that if you don't import your savegame from ME2 where you got the best ending and just go with the default start, everything in ME3 is <REDACTED>ing tragic! Everyone dies all over the place. Hell, you are even forced to choose between saving the quarians or saving the geth, just because you don't have Legion but if you do have him, you can save both.

I actually went back to ME2 and tried to get the perfect good ending. Took me a week and a couple of game restarts (your ship's crew dies if you take too long after the IFF mission to get them back from the collectors, which is why you leave the IFF mission for as late as possible, do Legion's loyalty mission and then head straight to the end mission. Didn't know that and only Chakwas could be saved. Restart!) but I did it and no one died.

Then I imported that save into ME3 and the galaxy was a lot brighter. Ofcourse Thane, Mirranda and Mordin still died in 3 cause there is nothing you can do about it, but I got a lot of cameos from the old team as well as the ability to save cure the genophage AND save the krogan female (not possible to save the krokan female with the default ME3 start), also the posibility to make peace between the quarians and the geth (not possible with the ME3 default start cause Biofail decided Legion died in ME2 and you can't achieve that peace without Legion).

Also, Bioware released extended endings which explained a lot more than the vanilla ending, and really tied everything together.

PS: My ME3 ending was Control.
  15. Dragon[SVG]

Dragon[SVG] Cupcake-About-Town

For me SWTOR was the biggest let down of all time. I was actively following everything for that game and I was so sure it was going to be great.

I loved everything about it when it came out, and as a SW fan I absolutely loved it, but ultimately it just couldn't hold people.

I still loved playing it but it is hard to see such a promising game go down so fast really hurt. Also it ruined my credit with my friends on MMO's for a while lol.
  16. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

Mass Effect 3
    Diablo 3
    Starwars the Old Republic

in order from most disappointing to least.
  17. Draahl

Draahl Cupcake-About-Town

Not sure tbh, in SWTOR it was the bugs and the lack of community. In GW2 it was the lack of competative raid content, in Age of Conan it was the lack of feeling big. In Defiance is the lack of feeling like an MMO. I have such low hopes for MMO's nowadays that im rarely disappointed but more of "it was expected". For Wildstar tho im starting to get nervous, this game looks absolutely awesome in every way.
  18. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

Diablo 3.
    SW ToR.
    FF XIV 1.0.

:cry:
  19. ZuberiGF

ZuberiGF New Cupcake

Actually Chomag, you can save Miranda :p.

But yeah I know about the other caveats. Then again my main playthrough was perfect like the second time through so I had no issues with anything really. Had everyone from every game, even managed to make peace between Quarian and Geth. I'm ok with the difficulty there though since frankly it SHOULD be really hard to broker a peace treaty in the middle of a battle between two sides that have been at it for like 500 years.

Frankly I still have issues with the Extended Ending. Imho Citadel was a much better send off to the series.

Also Synthesis.
  20. Kasabian

Kasabian Cupcake-About-Town

The game that built the best hype and disappointed me horrendously the most was probably Brink. I can't remember why, but I was really hyped for that.

As for MMO, probably ToR. When the raids actually worked they were so mind-numbingly easy, but most of the time they didn't work. They'd fix something completely random in the game and they would bug out the last boss of the first raid; Soa - over and over again - for months.