1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

most disappointing game you guys ever played

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by mge_br, Feb 24, 2013.

1. sheep

sheep New Cupcake

1. Star Wars: The Old Republic - pretty much covered by other people in this thread. Disaster. Sloppy gameplay. All cash went to useless voiceovers when it turned out, most players skipped dialogs anyway. We all know how fast this 'WoW killer' went free to play...

2. Guild Wars 2 - I consider this a huge dissapointment. As a GW1 veteran who played that game for over 5 years and had some really unforgettable memories, I was extremally hyped for the sequel. Instead of good successor, I recieved a generic MMO where you button mash for no real purpose. No end-game and laughable PvP made me and my whole guild quit the game within a month. And to be honest, leveling wasn't even that good as everyone seems to praise it.

3. Storm Legion (RIFT expansion) - let me start by saying that I truly loved RIFT and I rank this game second best of all time (right after original Guild Wars). I was there since the very first closed beta and watched the game growing and evolve with every major patch. TRION was adding content at a rapid pace what was appreciated not only by players, but it also caught media attention. I experienced raiding for the first time and I absolutely got addicted to it. During Hammerknell/early Infernal Dawn era I became a hardcore raider in one of top EU guilds. Besides end-game there was plenty of in-game activites and my shard was booming with life. I always had fun logging in and doing whatever I wanted to. However, with much anticipated expansion, devs destroyed everything that made RIFT outstanding in MMO market. They added two enormous and uninspired in design continents where half of each zone quests consisted of carnage, a new 'feature' based on 'kill ten rats' concept, literally. Basically, they went with quantity over quality and stepped back 10 years earlier in terms of innovation. And grind, obviously. Everything felt like a chore. Grind, grind and even more grind. I said enough and quit just a few days ago.

Now, I'm looking for a new home and WildStar is shaping up to be this new chapter in my journey. It has everything I want - different art style, proper end-game, fun approach and studio with passionate people that seem to know what they are doing. Too bad it's still so far away from release, but on the other hand, I would rather buy a rich in content, polished product instead of unfinished and rushed one. I would love to get into beta as soon as possible, I signed up the day they revealed the title back in Gamescom 2011, so hopefully invite is going to land in my mail, maybe next wave. ;P
  2. Agent Drew

Agent Drew Cupcake-About-Town

Not surprised to see SWTOR plastered all over this thread. While it wasn't really my biggest disappointment as I did really enjoy the leveling, I just hated how the game turned into nothing more than a watered down WOW the minute you maxed out your character.

What I am surprised about (unless I missed it somewhere) is the lack of Sim City. Seriously I felt like I needed anti depressants after this thing came out. I don't think I really got more than 10 hours out of this game yet. Part of me keeps wanting to go back to play it but I can never find the strength to do so. So much potential.....
  3. Moor

Moor New Cupcake

I'm generally quite cautious with games I buy. Don't get burnt that often, but there have been two recent ones. I liked Diablo 2. Yeah, didn't wait for reviews, Blizzard is genius, right? D3 got old quick. GW2. Bought into hype, quite uncritical. It's not a horrible game per se, I just don't like it very much. The new adventurebox levels were actually great fun, though. Thank <REDACTED> I didn't get too excited about TOR, that would have hurt.
  4. Chosenxeno

Chosenxeno Cupcake-About-Town

Definitely this lol. Rolento and Hugo were broken. Crash bugs. DLC (Disc Locked Content in this case). TIME OVER! TIME OVER! TIME OVER! Pandora was and still is useless.

SFXT was a HUGE disappointment. A surprising and great choice considering this is a MMORPG forum lol
    The only thing I can think of for me personally that's close is SWTOR, and an old school pick of Jim Powers 3D(hahaha)
  5. Chosenxeno

Chosenxeno Cupcake-About-Town

[quote="sheep, post: 54397, member: 4782"

3. Storm Legion (RIFT expansion) - let me start by saying that I truly loved RIFT and I rank this game second best of all time (right after original Guild Wars). I was there since the very first closed beta and watched the game growing and evolve with every major patch. TRION was adding content at a rapid pace what was appreciated not only by players, but it also caught media attention. I experienced raiding for the first time and I absolutely got addicted to it. During Hammerknell/early Infernal Dawn era I became a hardcore raider in one of top EU guilds. Besides end-game there was plenty of in-game activites and my shard was booming with life. I always had fun logging in and doing whatever I wanted to. However, with much anticipated expansion, devs destroyed everything that made RIFT outstanding in MMO market. They added two enormous and uninspired in design continents where half of each zone quests consisted of carnage, a new 'feature' based on 'kill ten rats' concept, literally. Basically, they went with quantity over quality and stepped back 10 years earlier in terms of innovation. And grind, obviously. Everything felt like a chore. Grind, grind and even more grind. I said enough and quit just a few days ago.

[/quote]

Surprising pick. I think the Carnage quests were a decent Idea. Rather than going to your quest hub and being told to "kill ten rats" you just did them. The problem is they feel mandatory because leveling i SL is sooooooooooooooooo slow. I think visually SL looks great. The Devs really need to work on the Grindy-ness(actual word lol). I'm new in my guild and they raid.[ As a fresh 60 Raiding seems Light Years away]<---Keep this in mind Carbine!!!. I'm a raider 1st and everything else second! Not interested in Lore and w/e(The sad truth is many people aren't. lol)!!Just give me something big to kill!!

P.S. sorry for Derail
  6. WildStone

WildStone Cupcake

In over 20 years of gaming, Hands Down SWTOR!!

Nuff said :D
  7. Elward

Elward Cupcake

Guild Wars 2 by far, I bought it played it for roughly a week then deleted it from my computer and haven't touched it since. Complete waste of money.
  8. Catdurid

Catdurid Cupcake

Diablo 3 by far. Biggest fail in gaming history.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  9. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

Worst big title for me was SWtoR. But it wasn't my biggest disappointment because I had alarm bells going off before release. So really, it was just more annoyance with myself that I bought it anyway, rather than disappointment in how it turned out. (Incidentally, TESO is ringing the same bells.)

Most disappointing new game was Guild Wars 2. After seeing all the cool ideas they put into Guild Wars 1 and then watching all the pre-release info and that "Manifesto" video, I was expecting it to be so much ... more ... than it turned out to be.

But the title of "Biggest MMO Disappintment" for me goes to WoW. I loved that game for so many years, and watching them slowly homogenize, dumb down and trivialize their game was hugely disappointing. I tried to ignore it during Wrath, but 2 months after Cataclysm released I logged in one day, looked at my character and realized I was just doing it out of habit and logged back out. It was hard to say good-bye to my guild, but it turns out I was just the first in a long stream of good-byes.
  10. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

I don't see how Diablo 3 could be that disappointing. it's a Side scrolling game!! OMG I'm amazed anyone wanted to play it. The camera was even locked.. you could not get a full rotation or full zoom.. awful terrible.. horrendous IMO :)

For me SWTOR easily. I had higher hopes.

OOohhh I forgot.. Unreal Tournament 2003 was a huge disappointment to me.

UT99 had much much MUCH smoother gameplay.