1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Most Overplayed Class

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Clay, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Azer

Azer Cupcake

I'm betting despite what any polls say Dominion will be Stalker central.
  2. Vlhad

Vlhad New Cupcake

spellslinger, i was figuring that the stalker would be the most overplayed class
  3. RedBlazz

RedBlazz New Cupcake

As much info as we have i could say that the most overplayed class is : Spellslinger
    -Why ?
    He has the highest burst tell if im wrong i havent tested the game on my self , great at escaping CCs , hard to catch , their spells have a lot of debuffs like armor reduce and stuff , can heal theirself , they use guns and look like cowboys ( which is enough for some guys to get crazed for them for example me ) and cuz you can be a spellslinger chua.

So see ya on the field !
  4. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I have to agree too. Range as a Defense isn't a defense at all. All of the charges and gap closers pretty much destroy this. Not to mention the tethers. The alternative would be snares and other slows of the Esper and Spellslinger. However, in pvp the spellslinger and esper are likely also to need a self supporting heal or other means of defense. This would reduce the number of snares they could carry. A problem when many of them carry relatively long cooldown times.

I think the spellslingers will probably have the edge to survive this over the espers though. They are more mobile, after all. Espers have many more stationary abilities. This gives the spellslingers more options to make a kiting class than the esper. Simply because of the number of abilities that let them move around.

I really think the Engineer, once people learn how the class works, will be really popular too. Three engineers each carrying two robots is a pretty large pack of opposition. The team could mix and match the robots for optimal balance to the kind of foes they might be facing too. All while using taunts to reduce damage their robots might take or vice versa.

It feels like they will be more effective than a stalker team. Unless the stalkers really know how to work together and set their LAS to support each other. Like one stalker having a few abilities that let them tank for damage and draw attention. A second stalker taking a number of crowd control snares and tethers. The third stalker can be focused on bursting damage. It will take more coordination than a Engineer team I think. Since that engineer team is pretty much a walking army.
  5. Arkavien

Arkavien Cupcake

I will guess Engineer for most popular class. Ranged Pet class with heavy armor. Ranger/Hunter/Beastmaster etc etc classes are always up there, at least at launch.
  6. Domi Dayglow

A couple of months after launch I think medic will emerge as a popular class too. Once people see how healing and inflicting damage at the same time can be.
  7. Travis.romig

Travis.romig New Cupcake

If the Medic's DPS is anywhere near the Stalker's DPS there is something wrong with this game unless its a very special fight.
  8. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

Melee dps is usually overplayed, so we will see warrior or stalker being the most played.
  9. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

People say this a lot, yet rogues are traditionally one of the lowest population groups. Their majority claim being in PvP servers and scarce anywhere else. Warriors are always popular because "herp derp imma smash" people. I think we will see a lot less melee focused people with the theme of this game. Plus no paladerps or equivalents so they will either go warrior or something completely new. I think spellslingers will remain one of the high played classes with warriors rising in numbers on opening day. Depending on what the usual hunter classes do, Engineers could be very popular.

On the flip I imagine medics being on the low end, I don't know why 100%, but it just feels like the class that not many will play. (Outside of healing mains)
  10. Taher

Taher Cupcake

Why do u say that?
    Extatica likes this.
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I don't know what kind of thought process was going on in the brain chamber of yours.....but do you know what ''balance'' is?

Just as Taher stated:
    Do you even have an idea of what it means what you are saying? (aka complete and utter fail for the game because of a huge imbalance issue)
    Taher likes this.
  12. SoaperStool

SoaperStool New Cupcake

Has this been recently confirmed? If so, can you link to a recent developer post?

Balancing along those lines would be a huge balancing mistake right from the get go, as it relies on 3 faulty assumptions.

1) Armor is the only method of mitigating damage. As it stands, all classes have some way of mitigating damage. Warriors and Engineers rely on their armor, Stalkers use a combination of medium armor and deflection, Spellslingers and Espers rely on their range to avoid a lot of the dmg all-together, and Medics use a combination of medium armor and short range. It's hard to say which form of damage mitigation is best, but making armor the only form that gets penalized on the offensive end would be a mistake.

2) A dpser's ability to take damage is anywhere near as important as his ability to dish it out.I'm not saying a dpser's ability to avoid and mitigate damage is useless, but it's generally only useful up to a point, and that's generally the point at which he's no longer killed by unavoidable telegraphs. Once a dps reaches that plateau of health, 99% of their worth to a raid comes from how much damage and utility they can provide to that raid. Assuming Carbine isn't going to design unavoidable telegraphs that only Warriors and Engineers can survive - which I really, really hope they don't - then more dps will always be preferred over more armor. We don't want a situation where heavy armor dps classes are only there to mitigate loot rot and fill dps slots that can't be filled by lower armor - higher dps - classes.

3)Range dps loses as large a portion of its total dps as melee does. Generally speaking, melee dps needs to be a bit above ranged dps in order for it to come out even in an actual raid environment, as it generally loses a larger portion of its dps from raid mechanics. Anything that causes melee disconnect - avoiding telegraphs, boss movement, longe range target switching, spread mechanics - will generally hurt melee dps more than it will range dps. While it's probably possible to design encounters that limit range dps as much as they do melee dps, doing so without being stale and repetitive is tricky. There's only so many mechanics that limit range without limiting melee, while the inverse is a dime a dozen. You can counter this a bit by limiting ranged mobility with cast times that interrupt on movement, but they'll still handle boss movement , long range target switching, and spread mechanics better. Modern games have tried to alleviate this problem by implementing some sort of ranged "tax", and while that is certainly a valid solution, the trick is in getting that right. Rift is a good example of going too far with that tax and making melee almost always preferred.

It would be good to hear a developer chime in on this issue to give us their viewpoint. I'll be playing the game regardless, but if it's confirmed that heavier armor dps classes are to be intentionally inferior, then I'll be forced to roll either Spellslinger or Esper. I'm fine with playing a sub-par class, as imbalance is a natural part of the game, but I don't want to commit time to a class that's meant to be sub-par.
    Naris likes this.
  13. Travis.romig

Travis.romig New Cupcake

Because the stalker has shorter range and the medic is an AOE with buffs/debuffs. If we make all classes equal we might as well not make classes.
  14. Travis.romig

Travis.romig New Cupcake

It appears you are thinking about PVP. Yes I know about balance and I think medic will own in PVP.

Do you know what focused DPS is? Unless they start doing realistic raiding in which we attack and the whole base attacks us at the entrance the stalker should out DPS the medic.
  15. deathtotherepublic

deathtotherepublic Cupcake

I'm putting my money on the Medic being the overplayed class. people will see how bursty it is in heals and dps
  16. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

The dubstep class will overpower the low resistance to seizure classes! Dubmedic too scary.
  17. Domi Dayglow

Should be pointed out that this isn't quite true. The NDA partial lift has shown us over the past few weeks shows that damage mitigation also comes from other abilities like lifesteal which returns a percent of damage as health. Classes also have access to certain abilities that make them pretty much super resilient for a few seconds.

I think Carbine is iffy about implementing this idea for the fact that suddenly melee classes would suddenly have the best armor and the best damage. The best of both sides.

Having to dodge any telegraph, or doing anything except attacking, will reduce DPS. I agree in that there needs to be a balance of types of telegraphs faced in the raid. For example, the boss needs some short range cone or line telegraphs. Ones that really only threaten the tank. Then AoE telegraphs out to maybe 15m to threaten melee telegraphs. Then another type of telegraph that threatens things beyond 15m, but leaves things within 15m safe.

From videos we have seen on dungeons, it looks like Carbine has already considered this. Unfortunately, it will probably take more gameplay to see how the concept plays out over all levels.
  18. SoaperStool

SoaperStool New Cupcake

You misunderstand me. I'm saying that's a faulty statement. Armor is absolutely not the only way of reducing damage taken. Really, there's 4 distinct ways of reducing damage taken: Range, Armor, Deflect, and Abilities. Lifsteal and heals don't really reduce damage taken, though they do help with survival.

Generally speaking, when it comes to reducing damage taken, Range > Armor > Deflect. That's just the way it's been in previous MMOs. It may be different in Wildstar. I just don't understand why armor is the only form of damage reduction that should come with a dps penalty.

You've listed 3 distinct scenarios: 1 that reduces tank dps, 1 that reduces melee dps, and one that doesn't really affect anyone. Range dps can always go in melee to avoid range telegraphs while continuing to do dmg. Melee can't do the same while avoiding melee telegraphs. That's a big difference, and a big reason why it's very difficult to design encounters that reduce range dps as much as they reduce melee dps, hence the need for a handicap.
  19. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The range telegraph will always reduce their damage for they have to dodge....which makes them unable to dps for 2-3 whole seconds. Which doesn't sound a lot but if there are more far away telegraphs then melee ones then it will make up for it.

Also I see the extra bonus in armor as something that sometimes allow you to stand in a telegraph to keep uo that damage of yours just to let your own lifesteal slowly heal you full.

There are plenty of ways to make it so that range and melee get balanced out, although it's a tricky procedure, I agree with that.
  20. Adriano

Adriano New Cupcake

Class balance is always super difficult in an MMO so while I don't believe there will be a perfect split between the amount of people playing each class I'd like to believe it will be fairly even given that as long as class balance is not completely out of whack every class should be viable in some capacity.

I also feel that balancing the game around six classes initially is a very smart move by carbine as less classes are easier to balance around. I'd assume they would add classes in for future expansion packs thereafter.