1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

My guild history + concerns

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Yianna, May 26, 2013.

1. Yianna

Yianna New Cupcake

DaoC:
    I played it from age 6-9 and I never joined a guild, I always leveled on my own and rarely talked to people. It was my first MMORPG and I played on my dads account.

WoW:
    I played it from age 12-14 I started to communicate with other players and wanted to join a guild. When I finally joined a guild (age 14) some guild members complained about my age and after a short time the guildmaster kicked me and that pissed me off.

4Story (bad pay2win f2p MMO(WoW clone)):
    I started playing it because my friend played it and he said he found an awesome guild. He was right the guild he found was truly awesome and I loved the time with them. I stopped playing WoW and continued to play a MMO that was horrible compared to it just because the guild was awesome. I joined another guild with a toon put these guys only cared about ingame money, items and stats, I left the guild after one week and stuck to the awesome guild. They were helpful, mature and my age.
    After I stopped playing 4Story (because of the pay2win aspect) I always missed these guys.

I am concerned about finding a guild with people my age. I am 17 and a lot of guilds only recruit people that are at least 18 and these guilds often consist of people that are 25-40. In GW2 I joined a guild that had members from 14-18 but the younger members were to childish and the guild fell apart short after launch.

Whats your guild history? Do you have any concerns?
  2. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

Yeah, I'm 18 now but I can't tell you how many times I've heard the words "come back when your balls drop, kid" on Xbox Live throughout my early teens. I'd say 17 is easily a high enough age to join any guild.

edit: Just act your age in any applications you send to guilds. Click my sig if you interested in a hardcore PvE/avid PvP US Exile guild. Otherwise, goodluck on your endeavors, you'll find someone. This forum seems like it's filled with tons of good people.
  3. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

I really don't think age is a problem, maturity is, you'll find guilds with "some exceptions" just play well and don't act immaturely, you should be fine.

I have no concerns but if I were 13 again and awaiting this game, I wouldn't be worried about finding a guild etc. If you are raiding and your dps is substantial, good, perhaps great no guild leader is going to kick you for that.

On the PvP side of things http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/tichondrius/djPikaboo/advanced this guy is 14 years old, and playing at Rank 1 contension rating with a previous Rank 1 title. Age is relative.
  4. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

In all honesty, I've played with teens and pre-teens in guilds who were far more mature than the rest of the 25+ year olds in the same game, so I know how hard it is to try and make a blanket assumption on everyone based on age alone. That being said though, I think your quotes above illustrate the problem that younger players are up against.

There is a very real fear (whether or not it's justified, is not for me to say) that younger players will be immature, won't follow the rules, or will otherwise "not fit in with the older crowd." I think there are a number of players who just feel uncomfortable with minors in their guild also, in that they feel that they'd constantly have to watch their language, mind what they say, and just generally not play the way they want to.

I absolutely understand your concerns, and the concerns of the younger players, but thankfully there are a number of guilds out there who are more than willing to also cater to a younger crowd!
    Classix and Yianna like this.
  5. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

One of the most mature and talented people I was ever in a guild with was a 15-year-old kid. My advice for joining a guild that you're interested in that has an age policy that would exclude you: lie. No one on the internet needs to know how old you are, or what your real name is, or where you live. If you aren't a complete personality mismatch for the group and play well enough, that should be enough.
  6. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

I wouldn't lie, I've never needed to lie to join any guild, I just explained the situation, and throughout applications they got enough sense for maturity at whatever age I was to at least get a trial. If for some reason they find out that would just be needlessly embarassing.
  7. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Not ours. We don't play with children as its creepy as hell. I couldn't give a toss about your maturity, skill level or otherwise.
    tubthumper likes this.
  8. Ayrasaurus

Ayrasaurus New Cupcake

Imo 18+ is the youngest i would want in my guild, it's just a matter of people under 20 most of the time are so annoying and immature when it comes to games. Though that's me generalizing I'm sure there are plenty of mature 16 year old players but meh it's tough to communicate or converse with someone who has barely or is just leaving high school they look at life so differently most of the time (I know i did).
  9. Shilvers

Shilvers New Cupcake

More often then not guilds will often consider you if you are mature enough about and for you age and if guilds still won't consider you even after you have proved your mature enough then there not worth the effort, Hell in some of the guilds I've ran I've had people younger or dead on 18 that have been more mature then some of the 21 and overs.
  10. Yule

Yule Cupcake

As people says, age dont have to be a factor when it comes to being a mature player. There are tons of people who are adult and asshats, and there are tons of people under 18 that are mature and have great personalities.

Whe only reason i would deny anyone because of their age is that i wouldnt want people in my guild needing to stop raiding early "because their mom says so". This is not an issue with older players for obvious reasons, but i have seen more then one example with younger players.
  11. Badger

Badger New Cupcake

Its not just about maturity.. Our guild hold a 18+ rule also because mumble can be some times a little age appropriate and we wouldn't want to get in trouble with younger peoples parents or even worse for subjecting them to it.
  12. Shilvers

Shilvers New Cupcake

To be honest with you i see where your coming from but for the most part people over the age of 14 are already subjected to it in school and people over the age of 16 even more so in college/Uni
  13. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Sure they are, but it doesn't make it right. Any semi responsible adult knows there is time and place for everything, and at least in theory, we should set example for the younger ones. Late evening TS banter is hardly that. And it's really not our job to educate teenagers, when, where and what is appropriate, it's their parents' job. And since we usually don't know them, we don't know what their limits are, we don't know if the young person is mature enough to seperate silly chat from normal 'life speak'.

Our guild is 18+ as well, that said we made several exceptions in the past for some cool young people, some as young as 14. We've had a couple of regrets, and a few that 'grew up ' with us. We've had one with whose parents we actually met up, as they were not comfortable their kid was spending hours a day in company of adults. We invited them to a small guild gathering. They came, the dad plays with us now;)

In general, hard rules are the easy way to approach the issue. Hustle free. I do agree though, that there are great young players out there that are more mature, smart and fun then some adults. That's why we do make exceptions. We're a social establishment by nature though, some people just don't want to be bothered, it's easier to just say no, 18+, kthxbye.
  14. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

The older players graduate to, "I can't make tonight's raid; there's a marathon of What Not to Wear on TLC, and my wife says I have to watch it with her, or else." :whistling:
    Kataryna and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  15. Yule

Yule Cupcake

Touché.
  16. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

18+ is usually a problem for the following reasons:
    Legal issues with topics on websites/voip
    Not being able to be responsible with time

Maturity is also something to consider but not the biggest topic imo. I dislike when someone has to stop raiding because they didn't take the trash out and mommy is mad at them. Or Wifey is mad at them. They have to step away because they didn't take care of life responsibilities before sitting down to game.

I've had a hardcore pvp'er who is 80+ who didn't take <REDACTED> from anyone, and we currently have a teenager who is one of the best spys in TF2 you've ever seen. Recruitment is a process. Make sure the guild/organization you are joining isn't just "Meh" but actually fits what you are looking for.
  17. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

I guess our definitions of what a child is are different then.
  18. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

A child is someone who isn't allowed to watch Goodfellas and drink beer.
    tubthumper and Azhdaha like this.
  19. Classix

Classix Cupcake

*crack*
    I did not know you were so whipped, I will mercilessly tease you if that's your excuse for missing any raid and or event. So lie if that really happens.

I'm not going to speak from a the perspective of the guild I'm in because that we have a policy, I believe it is for legal reasons and such. I never told guilds my age and even lied about it many times usually only by 2-4 years, I could even be lying right now. I'm not, but you don't have to believe me. While a few people may say its not good to lie, <REDACTED> em. Theres no reason a online-guild needs to know your age this isn't a dating site. Hell, you don't really know if they are female or male. People generally paint people in a stereotype immediately they get any information about them. Not all of them are willing to keep an open mind so I would say just get yourself into a guild that interest's you. Getting a -chance- is all that matters.

I've had 14 year old guild leaders more worthy of my time then 36 year old ass-shats. Matruity trumps age in my mind.
    Insult and Azhdaha like this.
  20. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

Rofl (good movie taste)! Can't argue with that, I mean I could do that all my life but I assume that's not normal.