1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

My guild history + concerns

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Yianna, May 26, 2013.

1. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

Highly agree. I think people just get intimidated when a young kid tries to get on their level.
    I probably would.
  2. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Didn't say that they couldn't, it's just what the law dictates. I was a teenager once as well. Probably why I want nothing to do with them today.
    tubthumper likes this.
  3. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

So anyone under 21 is considered a child to you?
    Because legally a child refers to a minor.
  4. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I've had a varied experience with younger players and older alike. There were plenty of kids that were just irritating personality wise but I found those older than me in their mid-late 20s or older often are immature in different ways. Typical examples include throwing temper tantrums, acting entitled or have serious narcissism or arrogance issues. I can respect the younger crowd more because it's mostly a phase and they will learn the ways of the world as time passes. However, too many older players like and seem to find it acceptable to act like children as well. Largely throughout the gaming community, it seems that people are on average only half as mature as they should be. While I game because I enjoy the content, the challenge, and the immersive worlds, I find that gamers in general seem to be the most immature demographic for their age. Least intelligent too.

I can relate with the OP's plight. I used to hate how there were guilds who had 18+ requirements, but I dealt with it and nowadays I no longer have to worry about that. However, I've been exposed to more of these 18+ guilds as well now and their members are mostly adults-in-age-only. If guilds have their requirements due to concerns about their player's accessibility to the game and possible exposure to some coarse language, I can respect that decision, but a lot of the 18+ guild crowd are just as immature, if not more so than those who're too young to join. The better guilds in terms of the quality of people are less likely to create age restrictions but instead enforce good behavior instead.

In short, I wouldn't worry about getting into 18+ guilds. You're not missing anything at all. Plus, you've got less than a year to go until most guilds will open up to you. Take your time, enjoy the game, and make friends that can lead you into a proper guild for your tastes.
  5. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

There are other countries in the world besides the good ole United States of America.
    tubthumper and Yianna like this.
  6. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

Indeed, and I wasn't talking about the USA since here you can technically refer to someone in the context of drinking under 21 to be a minor. Though looking at Scotland (assuming you live there), a minor is someone under 16.
  7. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Under Scots Law, when referring to the legal process yes. The UK in general, you are considered 'underage' (we don't really refer to them as minors) up to 18.
  8. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

Duly noted! Hmmm... shall I say that it was a Honey BooBoo marathon instead? ;)
  9. Apothecary

Apothecary Cupcake

Im in the same spot as you man, good luck to you as well
  10. Beetle

Beetle Special Cupcake

Heh stole my example. All I can say is find a place for you that fits, find a guild who is willing to take a chance and bring you in to see how you react in an older environment. If you are 17 but keep looking at 18+ guilds just stop and take a look around, maybe when you are 25 you will be leading a 17+ guild. ;)
  11. Yianna

Yianna New Cupcake

Well after all these responses it look like I am <REDACTED>ed.
  12. Insult

Insult Cupcake

Not by any means, Put out your applications to the people you are interested in and see what happens. You always miss 100% of the shots your don't take. We have a strict policy on 18+ because of legal reasons, but who is to say you will not be 18 before the game even launches?
    Classix and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  13. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

If your birthday is sometime this year, you're almost guaranteed to be 18 before Wildstar release. I'll be able to legally drink (not that I'll exercise that right) before the game releases too.
  14. Classix

Classix Cupcake

Pfffttt... as far as the Internets concerned I've been 21 for 7 years straight. I remember writting down the wrong birthday on my drivers licenses because of that.
    Red_Death01 likes this.
  15. Praiz

Praiz Cupcake-About-Town

This thread is rather strange.
    Red_Death01 likes this.
  16. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

I mean no insult here but, you're young. Ironically I think the average age now for MMO players range from 21 to 36. Personally- I try to avoid younger kids in my guild if possibly because they do have a bad reputation of being immature (as you've experienced- it isn't anymore fun when you're older). That or you need to suddenly make the vent/teamspeak PG and that is <expletive> <expletive>. Considering I am a very loose swearer I find this more of an annoyance and begin to unjustifiably judge them. Also- I really advise you avoid advertising for "young players"....

Though I can't diss them as I've met some pretty good young'ins. One was even a Raid Leader for a 40 man raid back when it was progression.... That kid had balls and knew how to throw them around. He didn't take <expletive> for his age from anyone- and in fact it made some of our members realize just how immature and stupid they were....
  17. Dracor

Dracor New Cupcake

It's just one of those unfortunate things, maturity is often tied to age or at least it's what we hope. I did the majority of my "hardcore" raiding when I was 14-16 playing vanilla WoW. I had no idea how raid administration worked at the time, how loot systems worked like DKP etc but I took the time to learn, was good at my role and wasn't disruptive in any immature way. Having a very deep voice did help >_>

In the end if how you play, and how you act come across as mature and capable people won't care about your age.
  18. Lemming

Lemming Cupcake

Exactly this. I'm not going to censor my speech (which can be very age-inappropriate), and won't enforce it upon others. For that reason, I don't allow kids in my guild.

**the only exception is kids of existing members of the guild. That's totally fine, they know what they're getting their spawn into. If they want to let them on vent, they can...but that's THEIR call. They know we're not censored, and work blue.
  19. Yianna

Yianna New Cupcake

To honest I have never heard that cursing is a problem in guilds. I dont know If the people that said that are from the US but I do know that cursing is treated VERY different there compared to germany. In germany cursing isnt a problem at all(who is afraid of words? whats the problem with saying "<REDACTED>" in front of a 17 year old?). But what I fully understand is that professinal guilds want the most capable plaayers that dont have to log off at 10 pm becuase their mom says so or that they cant let people under 18 into the guild because of legal issues.
  20. Raizar

Raizar New Cupcake

The way my guild works is we'll take in players who are under 18 (within a certain limit) but only after an interview with that person to make sure they are right for our setup.

We do have members that talk about adult subjects so we're very careful when it comes to letting anyone younger into our group but there are those who are more mature than many of the members we've had come and go in the past.

Either way, we'll say yes to those maybe a year younger based on their demeanor. We want to give people a chance.