1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

My guild history + concerns

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Yianna, May 26, 2013.

1. Duck

Duck New Cupcake

As Raizar said, we're one of those guilds that prefer people to be above a certain age. We picked 18 because that classically at least is the age of adulthood. However you guys make some great points here, and I'd like to extend you, and everyone reading this an invitation to check us out, and if you're interested send me an e-mail. We'll talk about details then, our system does an age check, so we need to make the account by hand.

you can contact me at duck@exinfernus.com or duck.diviance on skype. Our website is www.exinfernus.com
  2. Sakorath67

Sakorath67 Cupcake

I am 19 years old as of today.

This topic is one that shouldn't be taken so lightly as it is very sad how downright prejudiced and close minded the MMO community, and Gamer Community as a whole for that matter, can be because they were born so many years before another player.

This type of age profiling is simply discrimination.

To begin: My Story.

I was accepted by a competitive raiding guild in WoW when I was 14, and I will agree some people were worried with this to begin, but it was simply because I didn't know any better in terms of the "Raiding Scene". Was I annoying from time to time, sure... but all guilds have that, and it isn't an age restricted thing. However, I quickly became a core raider in that group because of the opportunity I was given that other guilds had denied me.

To continue:

My guild was kind enough to bring me in on dungeon and raid runs, and did the mature thing when I was going against typical raid etiquette at my young age: they would let me know in a polite manner and that was that.

I understand most people do not want to deal with some kid at a young age being a little annoying from time to time, but I cannot describe how wonderful it was for me, as a young person, to have acceptance and be treated equal in a community that generally out-aged me by average figures of 10-20 years.

I was not only able to learn how to raid and play WoW correctly, but I learned many various things from the older players because of the social nature of the game. I listened to them, I was able to become a more tolerable person of others' opinions. With that I was able to take in different views and cultures, and it has definitely shaped me into a more well rounded person and has created great fellowships for me with chaps 6-15 years older than me.

That all being said:

I understand if some people do not want to risk the responsibility factor that comes with a teenage raider. However, if it is of any merit, I am sure that young player simply wants to be accepted in the social aspects/community of the game.

It is funny, however. At 14 I was a better raid candidate than today. I am currently a full time university engineer, and I couldn't imagine having enough time to dedicate several nights of my week to raiding.

But ya know what, at 14 I could do all that. Who's to say others cannot?

So I hope this gives people a better outlook on the younger generation. They are just like you - but younger.They simply want to play the game and get all they can out of it.

You never know the effect you can have on a person just by being open minded and simply giving them a chance. This chance could even prove you wrong of initial thoughts.
    Classix, Dragon, Yianna and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dragon

Dragon Cupcake

Like many people, I've also played with some exceptionally mature and skilled younger teens. I wish I had been like that at that age lol. I had some pretty awful experiences on the internet when I was 14 or 15. :rolleyes:

My current wow guild has a pretty strict 18+ policy, though it's mostly because we require raiders to sign a waiver allowing the use of their voice on mumble in our web show, and you can't sign legal documents until you're 18. We've made a few exceptions and we've had a few refuse to sign, which just means the person recording has to keep them muted.

In previous wow guilds the 18+ rule was generally there, but there were always exceptions and the occasional lying applicant who got away with it. One of our tanks in late WotLK sounded mid-30s when he joined, and generally acted like it too. Later we found out he was 15. :coffee:
  4. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

My guild's official lower age limit is also 18, though in practice we've had a handful of members who were 15-17 A couple of them have drifted away from the group and one is now 18, so it became less of an issue. Although there is an association between maturity and age, it's not perfect, and I think guilds with age policies are happy to admit that there are plenty of unpleasant players who are older and plenty of mature teenagers. I think most will also concede that there are teenagers who are very competent raiders. In the case of our members, the majority were mature and well aware of looting rules and community rules. One was perhaps a bit aggressive and arrogant in PvP play, but he tempered those tendencies over time and was probably one of the more helpful and supportive members of the guild in terms of being willing to help people out with dailies and other dull chores.

I think the real problems begin when it gets to the social element of things. I'm uneasy telling the crude jokes that are part of our community culture in the presence of minors. It was one thing when it was the son of one of our members, but in other cases, I have no idea what sort of language is appropriate in these players' homes or whether their parents might overhear. I'm not sure I should be expected to make it my business in an activity that I do primarily to relax. It's one of those things I'm willing to do when we're talking about 3 or 4 people who aren't always on. It's another matter when a good part of the guild is in that category and I'm constantly needing to watch my language.

The other issue is that, as Yianna mentioned, a lot of guilds of these types mostly have members who are in their later 20s, 30s, and 40s. If a guild isn't purely business, that's going to mean that conversations will often revolve around the interests of those players and sometimes end up being dull to younger players. A guild that already has more good applicants than it can accept may prefer to take new members who look like they're likely to participate in the community's favorite discussions, rather than be bored by them.

I'd note that Yianna seems interested in playing with people a little closer to his own age, so this isn't just a discrimination issue. I think it depends on how competitive you're planning on being. If you're more focused on community than progression, I'd suggest perhaps looking around players in the later high school/early university age group and forming your own guild. We're well in advance of launch and you're already participating in forum communities, which will give you a chance to meet other players. If you are progression minded? Well, again, the game isn't out yet. You'll probably be 18 by the time it is, and you can always ignore us old bores talking about our jobs and mortgages and babies. ;)
  5. Risetta

Risetta New Cupcake

When I used to be a recruiting officer for a past guild I didn't always factor the age of a player. I've met some pretty rude and immature people who were mid 20's or older and I've met some people who were smart and mature that are under 17. We had a raid leader who was 15 and most of us never knew except for the GM and maybe another person. The raid lead was the best around and knew the strats of boss encounters and never gave into emotion, i.e being a crybaby, angry, whiny, rude. He was always straightforward and open and was really fun to hang around.

Although, if I knew he was 15 I probably would have watched my language around him but he didn't mind lol. The overall point is if you are mature and well rounded and know your stuff then a guild with age restrictions may look the other way and bring you in (but probably may or may not tell the guiid you're underage). It also helps if you don't sound 15 :coffee:
  6. Alex Moore

Alex Moore New Cupcake

This is an interesting topic I think...

I think it's easier for people to just say 18+ and not worry if they miss out on a cool 17 year old because there are plenty of people in the sea. The age of someone has to be considered relevant information. It doesn't dictate the type of person you are but I think we can all agree that the average maturity level for people still in highschool is not the same as people who are in college, working in careers, with families, etc. Again, looking at averages.

For me, I remember lying on every single guild application I turned in, I'm 23 right now but when vanilla wow was happening... I was... 14, maybe 15 once I was looking for serious guilds. Almost any decent guild required 18+ plus. So I typed in 18. Not once did I ever get called out or insulted about my age. Did I have a deep voice? Absolutely not lol...

But I kept my head down at first and showed my value to the team, made friends like people do in MMOs and all was good.

I remember discussing an ethical dilemma in a management class... someone lies on their resume. You hire them, they preform their job well, you later find out that they lied about their previous experience. Do you fire them? They have obviously proven themselves to be useful to the company and competent in their work. Twenty years ago, everyone thinks, hell yeah get rid of the liar. New thinking is, hey, good employee's are hard to come by.

I think there is a difference between being a compulsive liar and putting yourself in an position where you have a chance in something (in my example that would be to raid with top guilds).

Now that I am older, I'm certainly not the person I was. I've come a long way in my own thinking on things. So when I look for a guild, it is a selling point for me when I see 18+ or even better, 21+. Because really, what is 18 years old in the United States? Not much... Even at 23 I still feel young compared to all the professionals out that that make this world run. I don't look for 21+ guides because I want to joke about this or that, I just really do want to bar out the potentially annoying younger crowd. If there was a really cool cat who joined the guild and he's younger, who cares. But in general I wouldn't want the flood gates to be opened.

People should probably take it on an individual basis with the option to recognize that someone who is underage wouldn't be a good fit. When guilds say 21+, they're just throwing up a screen so they don't have to bother sorting out the awesome guys from the annoying.
  7. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

I have been a guild leader, as well as an mmo player since I was 17, so almost 16 years. I can personally say that I have never put an age limit on members in guilds I have been in. That being said I will be honest in saying that my outright gut response is usually negative, when a younger member is going to join the guild. If you are below 18 then there is a certain level of liability that can be involved. What if they get grounded by their parents? That is something that no one can predict that could put a guild working on progression in trouble. The other main concern would be maturity. I try not to work the maturity line too much, because I can be pretty immature at times, but in the end it comes down to guild culture.

I have raided with a few minors, less then 5, that have been extremely valued raid members, and gelled well with the entire guild. I have also ran into a majority that have rubbed everyone the wrong way. In the end it comes down to you. If you think you are ready to put a guilds philosophy as your #1 priority in a game then you will make it in whatever guild you join. If you want to feel free, and just have fun though it may or may not work for you. It really depends on your choice. When I begin my recruitment for WSO it is going to suck, but interviews are going to be required. If you are 15, can pull numbers, are reliabe, and a guild first person then I won't use your age as an instant drop. If you are 15, and from the interview I do not feel your ready.... Well just do not take it personally. I would deny someone that is 40 if I didn't think they would be a fit either.
  8. Hellspawnx

Hellspawnx Cupcake

Dont take it personally im 34 myself I run a very successful guild called -=DDM=- ive been guild / clan leader since 1999. the reason why my guild has a +18 age restriction isnt because younger people cant be mature even though that is a factor. it has more to do with the comfertablility of my older members in my guild. As I said im 34 myself and my members talk about and joke about alot of sexually explicite stuff and have more adult debates politics and whos cooler ACDC or Pantera.

We find it hard to relate to younger people because what we like to talk about usually younger people dont know and its uncomfertable for us to talk about certain topics. for us like most guilds with +18 age requirement were not just sign on and raid gamers we socialize alot with eachother, we just wanna make sure when one of us drops a "thunder thunder thunder cat HOOOOO" people understand the joke and laugh lol if you get my drift.
  9. Lucky

Lucky New Cupcake

In relation whetever to lie on the internet or not:
    "Unless, of course, he knew you wouldn't believe the truth even if he told it to you" ~ Jack Sparrow
  10. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

It's funny how often you see these post, guilds like us are 18+ because we learn through experience, we do not and will not allow younger players in.
  11. Apothecary

Apothecary Cupcake

Dude i dont see why your hating on the guy, he makes a valid point there is no need to put everyone under one roof im guessing its just the media you follow that portray all teenagers as scum ?
  12. Genoshock

Genoshock Cupcake-About-Town

i started playing mmos when i was 16 ... as long as you dont talk too much and just roll with the jokes then ur fine ... if u start complaining like a little child about how u wanted that item because u wanted it .... u will be not fine ...
  13. Nemeses

Wow really you get all that from my post, see you are there typical reason we don't allow under 18, you just confirmed in one post what others have being warning about.
  14. Apothecary

Apothecary Cupcake

I confirmed i made a valid assessment from your post that you seem to be a stereotypical player, i was in serenity one of the biggest swtor guilds while it lasted, and why do you think anyone under 18 is immature, i grew up playing rpg's with mature groups. your just trying to scapegoat someone from what i can see here.

Im also guessing your post i first quoted was aimed at the OP
  15. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Please, be civil with each other. :) Don't need to be hostile.
  16. Apothecary

Apothecary Cupcake

Also i may have misread your post, so yea sorry i can understand why you want to avoid the risk of hassle but were i can understand it, whats the point of not taking risks in life.
  17. Nemeses

er where have I not being civil?
  18. Genoshock

Genoshock Cupcake-About-Town

right there
  19. Nemeses

Ahh bless
    Genoshock likes this.
  20. Sengar

Sengar Cupcake

At the end of the day it's all a matter of opinion and experience. If your experience as a guild has been bad then it's understandable you'll be cautious about under 18's. Conversely if your experience has been a positive one then your opinion of it will also be positive. It's a difficult balance and almost impossible to control without honesty about age, which means that as an 18+ guild if you do find yourself with under 18's you probably won't even know about it (assuming the voice doesn't give it away) because they will undoubtedly be the mature 16/17 year old that some have spoken about.