1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

My impression after 6 classes and lvl 9

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gronky, May 10, 2014.

1. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I was recently whining on this forum how confused I was about wildstar Arkship area and WS controls.
    Now I do well with controls (I use razer orbweaver and its thumbstick to move) and after finishing arkship around 7 times I think it is quite an easy and straightforward area ;)

Now I'll move to cons:
    - WS feels a lot like WoW cause of graphic. WS's color palette is too vibrant and my eyes are starting to ache because of it. WoW's palette is better for eyes, imo. After playing so many years in WoW it is sometimes diffiucult to stomach game which very much feels like WoW, just in different lore settings and controls/mechanics.
    - I've seen some monsters on the map which are not easy to kill. But unfortunately I didn't see many which can be killed by skilful player as their autoattack will kill you before you do enough dmg, not to mention staying in telegraphs which I didn't do. So they need a group. This is somewhat disappointing as all the other mobs can be easily killed (even those quest ones which supposed to be done in a group which are much more easy than those other tough mobs roaming the world I was talking about before). I don't think I have seen any world boss/miniboss yet.

Pros:
    - fighting feels really good with melee characters. Both warrior and stalker are incredibly cool and mobile when hacking and slashing.
    - if fighting with tougher mobs is any indication of how dungeons will look like then I will really enjoy it.
    - paths are cool though each path have some boring elements which makes me want to abandon it. Eventually I've decided to be soldier as it felt as the the most straightforward and easy to do path. Settler path felt very rewarding

Summarizing:
    IMO WS can easily coexist with WoW and if I were to choose between the two WS would always win. The problem I face now is that even with all the improvements and polishing WS has got, it still feels (not plays) like WoW clone. It is probably the first MMO I would call WoW clone as all the other didn't feel like clone and this one does. It is mostly because of graphic I believe but also questing which works in similar fashion to WoW questing (though quests in WS are more enjoyable and funny). Btw, being a good WoW clone is a pro as well as con.

I've played all the newst mmos recently and I didn't enjoy any of them quite as much as WS. Saying that I'm still trying to shake off that WoW feeling when playing it. Hopefully after I get to lvl 20-30 with my stalker things get better. Then I will update this post with more details.
    Ah, WS makes me want to go back to it every few hours and play more for some reason. I think it is a good sign :)

UPDATE 1 (a few more classes at level 9, nothing above that):

I started to like other classes. I experiment like I did when playing WoW long time ago. No other mmo made me like almost all classes (nor I experiment with many). I've thought I wouldn't like range classes but it looks like that what I like, changes with my mood. WS really gives me more and more that Vanilla WoW + Firefly TV series vibe (wow was my first mmo).
    I think that this game is one of those, which the more you play it the better you think/feel about it. Those at first confusing dialogues and locations are now funny and interesting. I guess that if they were more simple from the start, now I would feel that they are shallow and boring. So maybe it was a good idea to make first locations and quests reasonably complex (I don't think they are complex now but at first I did).
    I want to experiment with classes more than leveling them above lvl 9. I think I will leave leveling of one of my 9lvl characters for weekend. Now I still need to play more with engineer and esper.

My current favourite is Warrior + Soldier + Human Exile.

Update after open beta:
    I didn't get higher than lvl 18 (stalker). I haven't done dungeons yet but went to one adventure. It's not enough content to draw any conclusions but for now I can say that WS reminds me about Vanilla WoW, how it felt when I played it. Some "first MMO" mystery I had playing WoW first time is obviously not here but other than that I can't say anything bad about the game. If I never played MMO before I'm sure I would feel exactly the same as when I first played WoW. Ah, I like all the classes now except medic which I didn't play to higher lvl than 3. My favourite classes for now are Stalker and Warrior but I'm sure this will be constantly changing.
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Pretty much all classes are able to solo primes once you get a few more abilities. I have personal experience up through at least the mid 20's on 3 of them (Medic 26, Esper 41, Engineer 50) and have seen Spellslingers and Warriors take them out without too much trouble. From what I hear Stalkers can also handle them, but I have no first hand experience.
    Gronky likes this.
  3. Gronky

Its good to hear that. I suppose it is difficult to balance those things in open world. Having a need to group with one more guy is still better than being able to kill them solo.
    But honestly it does not matter that much if we kill them solo or not. What is important is to be able to fight from time to time with mobs in the open world who can surprise you and kill you if you are not prepared. I haven't got that feeling for a long time in any MMO. All other mmos are so easy to level outside dungeon content that I can't play them.
    In WS, if I was Carbine I would greatly rise difficulty of those bounty quests which requires grouping as they are dead easy to solo. They should be at least as difficult as those prime mobs around the map.
  4. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

Hmmm.... I actually noticed that briefly, for some reason the group questing named mobs have less telegraphs then the solo named ones that can usually spring some nasty telegraphs that can oneshot you if you are not cautious.

That's weird because even the trash mobs in dungeons, adventures, shiphands and raids can keep you on your toes.
  5. Benevon

Benevon Cupcake-About-Town

Touching on the "WoW clone" bit...

First off, don't forget that many devs at Carbine worked on Vanilla WoW. And from a business stand point, why WOULDN'T a company try to take the really good aspects of a successful product and try to incorporate them into their own?

But it seems that a lot of people are calling it a WoW clone just based off of the art style. Since so many MMOs are going for the grimdark, realistic aesthetics I can understand that. But, just because Wildstar is probably one of the first of the bigger MMOs to go with a cartoony art style since WoW doesn't mean it's a "clone".

IMO, SWTOR was very much a reskinned WoW. Besides the massive amount of voice acting, the aesthetics and the IP, they really didn't do too much that was different from the start.

Now the visual aesthetics are going to be a personal preference. I find it really refreshing to finally have an MMO that doesn't take itself too seriously. I love the vibrant colors and all the goofy humor. I hear so many people complain about the taxi drivers, yet I can't stop laughing at how cheesy they are lol. Honestly, I was hooked on this game after hearing about it at Ctrl+Alt+Del and watching the paths trailer.

All in all, yes Wildstar has many features that WoW had (excluding the art). But most of those aspects are used in MANY MMOs as somewhat of an industry standard at this point.
  6. David Archambault

David Archambault New Cupcake

Still don't get all that WoW clone fad about every new MMO. An MMO is an MMO. WoW did use many of the feature of old MMO. It's like calling a new fps a clone because you can play in first person...
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The 2 genre's that have the most problem with stupid fanboys are MMO's and MOBA's.

I think people just can't think clearly anymore when there is a game that might treaten their own game? Who knows why those fanboys do it....although a lot of trolls just do it to piss you off.

Those who are serious are the worst ofcourse.
  8. Gronky

I don't mind it is a "clone" of all the previous mmos. Regarding art style I like it but it is not fresh because of art style. Still this is not that much of a problem after a while. It just brings WoW memories of boredom but these disappear very quickly cause gameplay is great.
    If Carbine just fix those group quests so they have to be done in group of 3 minimum then this would be superb. I don't remember mmo where I had to / want to group to kill some quest mobs outside dungeons. Those group quests should be optional but we should have them in good quantity. It's MMO, not single player game with multiplayer instances.
  9. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I don't know. I think then people would just complain. Some people would want to be able to see if they could take them solo. Guess no matter what you do, you lose.
  10. CriSPeH

CriSPeH Cupcake-About-Town

Use some different color filter settings when you play.

Turn on some Sepia and rock it old timey style!
    Kataryna likes this.
  11. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Then it really would be a Space Western?
    Extatica likes this.
  12. Gronky

I don't think so. There are already enough solo quests. A few group quests would appeal to those who like to group from time to time in open world. Those who like to solo can skip them and just be on their way to do other solo quests.

Can we do it in game already? Is there a good addon? I would like to do it actually.

UPDATE 1 (a few more classes at level 9, nothing above that):

I started to like other classes. I experiment like I did when playing WoW long time ago. No other mmo made me like almost all classes (nor I experiment with many). I've thought I wouldn't like range classes but it looks like that what I like, changes with my mood. WS really gives me more and more that Vanilla WoW + Firefly TV series vibe (wow was my first mmo).
    I think that this game is one of those, which the more you play it the better you think/feel about it. Those at first confusing dialogues and locations are now funny and interesting. I guess that if they were more simple from the start, now I would feel that they are shallow and boring. So maybe it was a good idea to make first locations and quests reasonably complex (I don't think they are complex now but at first I did).
    I want to experiment with classes more than leveling them above lvl 9. I think I will leave leveling of one of my 9lvl characters for weekend. Now I still need to play more with engineer and esper.

My current favourite is Warrior + Soldier + Human Exile.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
  13. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Stupid
  14. Credz

Credz New Cupcake

Honestly I was looking for a WoW gameplay.. Honestly I was looking for something exactly like this. They have a good Achievement System, they have fun quest, crafting/salvaging for mats is interesting, but I still like it. This game has brought to me something I have been looking for, for a while now.
  15. Gronky

Single word responses are unlike you. Have you lost some marbles recently?
  16. Gronky

I've just watched Devspeak: Raids. It looks incredible. I am falling in love!
  17. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I had a bigger answer ready, but then I thought that you were just a mere Granok....:cautious:

But serously just go get someone to max. Experimenting with classes when you have all abilities is way more fun tbh. Spellslingers without all their potential? Not so great. Spellslingers with all their abilities/effects/amps etc.....they are way better!
    So go get those characers to max level!
    Kataryna likes this.
  18. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

Except that the time/effort to level from 1-9 compared to 9-50 is a lot less. Also, if you want to try group content or PVP you aren't going to get many queue pops past 29. Sure I think level 9 is too low (15 is better), but really there is little reason to sink that much time into any character that is going to be wiped in 5 days. At least trying multiple classes out at live gives potential alts, which, if you get them to 14, can start accruing rested XP.
  19. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well he wasn't talking about group experience but merely the character experience.

Personally I hated the Spellslinger till around level 30-40 where I could get off some nice/crazy combo's with all the skill points and AMP's you have on that level.

If I'd go with your level 15 i'd still hated my Spellslinger while now he's pretty high on my list of classes to play (only because of the end game).

When the game goes live (and if you are a raider/PvP'er) being fast is pretty smart. If I'd level up a character because I loved him at level 15, but at end game (40-50) I begin to resent him I'd hate the time that I spent in him.....time which could be spend on getting rating/gear progression etc.

So I still stay to my ''Go get one to end game content and see if you still like him'' comment :D
  20. Gronky

As far as I know max level is 30 for now. Also I like all classes now and I can stop myself playing all of them.
    But there is one thing I like very much in Stalker and it is his main resource. You don't need to do anything but wait. Also it feels very natural to hide every time you can so I always use my class main skill which let me do that. From all classes I don't like SS resource management the most. But saying that I think it is all about understanding and playing those classes long enough. I change my mind about anything for better the longer I play so I think it is more my problem than SS class's.
    Ah, there is one spell which I don't like in Stalker. It's that damn mark for death thingy. I hate having to mark mobs before I use my opener. I wonder if there is going to be some skill/amp later which will do it for me automatically. It would be so cool.