1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Art My very first Mordesh characters

Discussion in 'WildStar Fan Creations' started by kaimarshall, Oct 3, 2013.

1. kaimarshall

kaimarshall Cupcake-About-Town

Thank you :)

I use Paint Tool Sai for my drawings. Super easy to use, and a whole lot better for linework than Photoshop is. Let alone cheaper :)
  2. kaimarshall

I updated all of my drawings with my new signature, so the quoted pictures on here will be outdated, but that's not a big deal :)
  3. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I need to start getting involved in some digital art even though I know nothing about how people churn out such works. -_- Tablets eh? Guess it's time to do some research.
  4. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=108&cp_id=10841

It's all about just drawing. Draw when you feel like it, draw when you don't, draw what you always wanted to draw, just draw whatever.

DRAW. That's basically it. No other magic ritual to getting good at art other than just drawing, drawing, and drawing even more.
    kaimarshall and Dysp like this.
  5. Xlugon Pyro

Not exactly what I was getting at. :p
  6. Kiyo

Kiyo Cupcake

Very cool! I love the alternative culture inspired hairstyles, it's actually one of the reasons I got interested in the Mordesh myself, they seem like they should have some interesting hairdos and I hope the developers do their research in that area to give us interesting options. But yeah, really awesome work, lineart looks really smooth and I love the glowy bits.
    kaimarshall likes this.
  7. kaimarshall

Thank you :)

I love your siggy, btw. It makes me want to draw another Mordesh with some cute synthetic dreads and cyberlox :D
  8. Revon

Revon Well-Known Cupcake

A good way to learn is to copy other people's work, or photos, or from real life. It's a bit boring but you learn a lot faster that way. I personally really dislike copy-drawing, and because of that I've barely improved in many years while my friend who copies a lot for practice is improving really fast. Tablets help a bunch too, ofcourse, but owning a tablet doesn't suddenly make you better at drawing/painting. :p And having a good set of brushes makes a difference too. I get my brushes (for Photoshop) from DeviantART. There are also a lot of progress pictures for digital painting and speedpainting videos, they can be very helpful. I'm trying to learn digital painting myself at the moment and these are some tutorials I've been looking at recently: http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/articles/20-tutorials-for-learning-digital-painting-techniques

Sorry for the offtopic, Kai!
  9. kaimarshall

This is great! Thank you for sharing. I'll definitely be checking out those tutorials some other time :D I've been wanting to learn how to draw on photoshop, but Sai is just so much easier, lol.

Anyways, I started to color the Chua I drew yesterday (was it yesterday?). The final result will probably look nothing like this (or it might), but this is what it's looking like so far. (http://fav.me/d6pai4h)

[​IMG]
    ruff_ethereal, Dysp and Revon like this.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Well no, of course I don't expect to become 1875679 times better at drawing upon picking up a tablet. What I was getting at is that I want to get into digital drawing because of the myriad of color options and possibilities that physical drawing can't compete with (and I don't want to paint, only draw). For example, should I get a tablet like thing where I can draw like I do on paper or would mouse drawing be better. Then there's the programs I should use. I suppose it may not matter too much but knowing some basics like which would be a good place to start, which program tools allow me to do what, etc. I don't have the slightest clue where to begin. :(

Yeah I don't like copy-drawing either. In fact, I won't do it, even knowing that it hinders my progress. However I do look at some works that have an aesthetic that I like and analyse them, especially when I'm in the middle of working on something myself. It's a backdoor method that probably isn't as efficient as copy-drawing, but I'll take it because it works for me. I can't draw unless I enjoy what I'm drawing and I need to be making my own creation to enjoy it.

Some tutorials may help though. I'll check them out.

I'm getting the shivers looking at that pic. Not that it's bad at all but I find it really creepy. -_-
  11. Revon

Revon Well-Known Cupcake

Tablets are definitely better than mouse for drawing. As for programs, Paint Tool SAI, Photoshop and Corel Painter come to mind first. All of them have a free 30d trial so you can try them and see what you like. They have some differences (like Kai mentioned before, doing lineart is easier on SAI) but in the end they're all good for the job. A free open source option is GIMP.

The most important feature in these programs for drawing, in my opinion, is layers. You can think of them as transparent plastic sheets that you pile up on each other. You can have the layer with the lineart on top, and then a layer with the colouring under it, and no matter where you draw on the colouring layer, it will not draw over the lineart or affect it in any way.

I'm not a master at digital art, but I know the basics. If you have any questions or want help or tips, feel free to PM me. :)
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  12. Xlugon Pyro

Coolio. I'll try to keep those programs in mind but I already have some familiarity with photoshop. However I don't know yet how to create smooth lines even by hardening the brush. It's still always a little fuzzy. :( I have some familiarity with layers but I'm not sure how I'd be able to use them to their maximum potential with digital works.

Somehow I missed this part until I read your post a final time. XD Thanks for the tip.

What tablets would you recommend then for digital drawing?

Hope we're not derailing Kai's thread too much... >_>
  13. Hoody

Hoody Cupcake-About-Town

But how do we know if it's a female if the Chua have no gender?... I'll let that sink in for a moment...
  14. Xlugon Pyro

LOL

/vomit
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  15. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

I agree with Revon, Layers are very useful in digital drawings. just when you start out you don't want to go layers happy and have 7 hundred layers.

my tablet is my best friend, In sketching and work. however there is a ramp up time from how you work with paper and pencil to working with a tablet. Something to remember is when your drawing on paper your watching your hand, and the pencil touching the device. With a tablet your eyes are focused on the screen, and not down at your hand.

When picking out a tablet there are a few things to consider, price for one, Pen Pressure is extremely important. and size of draw space, and bigger isn't always better. I move my arm around a lot when I draw so I needed a larger area, but some people are "notebook" doodlers and find a smaller draw space more comfortable.

Company wise Wacom makes great tablets, I have an Intuos3 with a draw size roughly 11 x 13. works great for me. Saving up to get a Cintq
    Xlugon Pyro and Revon like this.
  16. Revon

Revon Well-Known Cupcake

You just need to change the brush. The default brushes have "hard round" and "soft round" brushes. Use a hard round brush at 100% opacity to get a clear, smooth line. You can change brushes from the little menu at the top. You'll still likely suffer from a shaky line, especially if you're using a mouse, so it can take a while to get a lineart neat and tidy if you're drawing freehand with the brush tool. Another option is the Pen tool, which creates lines (paths) you can adjust at any time by click and dragging points in the line, and then when you're done setting the pen lines, you can "stroke" the paths with the brush tool to create the final look. Pen tool alone doesn't "draw", it only sets the paths and you can fill them in. Paths take a bit more getting used to, though.

Lazy Nezumi is helpful too if you want to draw smooth lines with the brush tool.
    Well, I'd say you can't go wrong with Wacom. :p I've never tried any other brands though, so I can't really say one way or the other with them. I'm using a Wacom Bamboo (A6 size) myself and it does the job, but Wacom is a bit costly (I think around $70-$100 for a small one, and the bigger tablets go towards $400) so if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a tablet, you might want to look up reviews for the cheaper brands too.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  17. Kiyo

Kiyo Cupcake

Wacom is kind of like the Iwata of the art tablet market, a quality product but the name costs you unnecessary extra. If you're just starting out and want to try before you commit to something really expensive, I've heard lots of people say good things about Monoprice tablets.
  18. kaimarshall

Xlugon Pyro,

Don't worry, this is an art thread. Anything art-related is welcomed here :) Regarding your problem with brushes and smooth lines, you just gotta practice and become familiar with the pen and tablet, as it is not the same as drawing with regular pencil and paper. I'm not entirely sure if Photoshop has this feature, but on Sai, there's actually a "stabilizer" option that lets you choose the smoothness of your lines. I usually set mine to s-1.

As for the tablet, I suggest you start off with something cheap, but that can do the job. Wacom is great for this type of things.

Hoody,

Nobody specified the Chua's sex :p It could be a pretty male for all we know. Remember the Chuas don't follow our human gender roles and stereotypes.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  19. Xlugon Pyro

Cool. Thanks for all the tips guys.

Also, sorry for crashing your thread Kai. XD

Okay cool. Thanks for letting me ask stuff here. :p
    kaimarshall likes this.
  20. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Photoshop does not natively have a stabilizer. Adobe Flash and Illustrator have a stabilization/vecotrization feature though. They're a bit different than Sai's stabilizer. They draw vector paths instead of rasterized/pixel paths, but they will smooth out line drawings. For PS there is http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/artists-meet-lazynezumi.1708/. I believe the Manga Studio program also has a stabilizer.

To Xlu:
    On line fuzziness, it matters how close up/low-resolution you are. Even the smoothest lines will be fuzzy, unless you use a hard-fill, like a pencil tool that fills each pixel with a solid color. Vectored drawings will scale and remain crisp (to a point, because they are a function for a line or shape, not actual pixels) until they are rasterized into pixels , such as when saving to a standard format, like jpeg.

On tablets: I would suggest a tablet that doesn't use pen batteries, as you will be likely using it a lot, and the cost of batteries will likely overtake the cost the tablets right above it. Wacom is essentially the brand-name of tablets. Bamboo series is their entry line, and as far as I know, they work just fine. Genzoman seems to mostly use a Bamboo with his drawings for example.