1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Art My very first Mordesh characters

Discussion in 'WildStar Fan Creations' started by kaimarshall, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Awesomeness. Is his/her stuff all done on these tablets or just some?

I guess for the lines I won't be too picky about. I just don't want all of my edges to be fuzzy but I've yet to see anyone else's works turn out like that so whether it be in PS or another program, there's a way to get lines to look smooth and crisp. I just have to practice and/or find out how to get it right. :)
  2. Revon

Revon Well-Known Cupcake

I forgot to add, you can also draw a lineart by hand on paper, ink it, scan it and finish colouring it in PS/other program, too. You can just select to delete all the white in the picture so you have the black lineart left, and then tidy it up and use it as a lineart layer and colour the picture digitally.
  3. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Most of his work appears to be done on a Bamboo.

There are many ways to do lines. The smaller and more neutral the lines, the less they'll ~interrupt your entire piece. You can make beautiful work with sloppy lines, be it covered or just low-key. Lines can be used for construction-only up to being line-exclusive with line only works. If you want a comic line look, I suggest studying artists you particularly like for just their lines. It's easy to get stuck in that "I want to be original/I don't want to 'cheat' off other people's work"-mode.

If you try to draw exclusively introspectively you will likely not get far. At the very least you need to look at something, be it your own face or some real world object. Studying other art styles is just a quick way to understand what others have already learned. For a comparison, it would be ridiculous if every physicist tried to rediscover every principle in physics. Instead they build upon principles that have already been discovered. That is not to say that they only learn the formula, they still learn and understand the principle, but they then have a platform to build on top of. People as a whole have been figuring out drawing for the past 5,000+ years, and so it might be helpful to use some of that pre-established knowledge. :)

It might be a little over used, but I think that's what Picasso was saying with, "Good artists copy, great artists steal."

Personally, I'm not a great line artist, but I usually take three passes to get my clean lines.
    1. Sketch
    2. Line Sketch
    3. Clean Line
    And then if I want clean heavy lines I go over again, usually with a lot of erasing and tweaking... just if you wanted an example.

(sorry for hijacking.. perhaps this would be better in a new thread?)
    Revon and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  4. Xlugon Pyro

I dunno, maybe Kai likes the free bumps. XD

I agree. I think my own style will develop on its own, especially because I have my own tastes and preferences AND I'll be examining several peoples' works that appeal to me in addition to any suitable real life examples. If I'm using multiple sources to inspire and enhance my work, it will develop its own nature on its own. My only vice is that I don't think I'll want to make exact copies of others works. I'll make my own creations as practice, but examine how artists tackle obstacles that I find in my own work and learn through observation. It may not be the quickest way to improve, but I'm not working on an island either.
  5. kaimarshall

kaimarshall Cupcake-About-Town

A lot of people use this method of doing lineart. Though, instead of selecting and deleting the white parts, you can just set the lineart layer to multiply, that way the white parts become invisible. I think it's neater that way.

Dysp,

You're not highjacking the thread. Like I've said before, this is an art thread so anything art-related goes on here. I don't mind :) Though, isn't there a thread for this type of discussions already? maybe you could share that there for everyone else to see.

Anyways,, I finished the Chua drawing :p (http://fav.me/d6pc8w3)

[​IMG]
    ruff_ethereal, Dysp and Revon like this.
  6. Xlugon Pyro

Jabber finally has his fap material. XD
    kaimarshall likes this.
  7. Kiyo

Kiyo Cupcake

That's very cute, the colours are crisp and it has this fresh look to it that I really like.
    kaimarshall likes this.